- Tell us a little about yourself, what have you accomplished in life?
My name is Charles Deenen. I was born in the Netherlands in 1970, and moved to the US in 1991 after having worked on Commodore 64/Amiga sound and music since 1984. In 1993 I got married to my lovely wife, and we moved to Canada in 2003. During all these years I worked on a fair amount of games (see mobygames.com, or imdb.com) and several feature films including Fast and the Furious, 2 Fast 2 furious, and have done sound design for dozens of feature film trailers (last ones were Alien vs Predator, Catwoman etc.)
- What are your favourite computer games/board games and why?
I still like that funny little C64, as it's still in my closet. For the rest, I have an Xbox at home, and play racing games. That's about it. I don't have much time to play games as I work too much
- What hobbies do you have besides computer games?
recently took up photography as a hobby, but mostly do audio related stuff (recording, sound design etc.).
- What are your favourite bands/artists (music) ?
I mainly listen to R+B/Hip Hop, but also like the oddball stuff like Enya. I don't like country or classical. As to favorites, there's not really a single artist, but I like Janet Jackson and other similar people.
- Tell us a little about your role in the making of Fallout 1/2/3 (Van Buren)/Tactics ?
That's a long time ago. I remember fallout 1 pretty well since we had to do it really fast. There wasn't much pre-planning at all as we were doing several other games at the same time. My role in FO1 and FO2 was audio director, spreading the work out to sound designers/editors and generally making sure the stuff sounds good as well as doing sound design and mixing. On Tacktics, it was mostly handled by Adam L, and I worked on the sound-design and mixing for the movies.
- What’s your favourite Fallout memory?
Mixing and sound-designing the movies from FO1, and making it nice and creepy with that song...
- What specifically inspired Fallout for you? What were the biggest influences?
No big influences to report, sorry. I remember watching some old films to get some ideas for the opening sound design.
- Pop Culture played a big role in Fallout, what pop culture influences you?
....hmmm... If I only knew what pop culture was....
- How was it to be a part of the Fallout team?
Tim (the lead programmer and producer) was a great person to work with. I think he was one of the only producers at interplay that really knew what he wanted to hear and see. I really like people who have a vision.
- Were there things that you wished you had added to either Fallouts?
I always do. Time is always an issue, and I wish we hadn't rushed so many titles at interplay (including the fallout series). There's always room for improvement in any title
- What were you favourite places in fallout and why?
I didn't have any particular favorite places. Usually I look at the game from a sound-perspective, so the locations which call for nice sound-design are my favorite places
- What is your hope for future Fallout games? Would you like to be a part of a future Fo team?
My passion is really into racing games or action games at the moment. I worked on RPG type games for 10 years, and even though they were great to do at that time, it's hard to get super-excited about it in these days. So, if they make an action oriented Fallout, I'm all up for it!
- Who would you bring with you in a future Fallout team and why?
If I had a choice, everybody I've worked with in the past. They were all great and talented people.
- In your opinion, what are the key ingredients that every RPG should have?
Story, great and convincing dialog, great ambience and music and amazing graphics
- Where do you see computer RPGs going?
I see it becoming more indepth, more paths, more story elements, replayability being higher etc.
- How does the fan base hinder/help the projects that you’ve worked on?
It doesn't really affect it. I love getting input from fans for next itterations of games. They are the players, they know what they like, and I believe in giving the user what they want to hear.
- When planning the story how do you go through the process of integrating themes and story with the constraints on software?
I never had to plan the story, that's always the producers/writers task. In audio, you execute on their plans. In music, we always planned themes for the characters, and interweave them wherever needed to enhance the story element. Almost like giving you musical clues.
- If you could make any computer game that you wanted, which would it be and why?
A great, less arcady, more real BMX biking game. I haven't seen one yet.
- Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
Not working. Hopefully. No seriously, I don't know, but most likely something in sound.
- Any last word to the Fallout fan base?
Thank you throughout all the years for buying the game. It was fantastic to see people here at the new company enjoy a game that's pretty old by now, and rave about every element. This shows how much Tim and his team cared about the game and the little nuances they put in. I always have loved user feedback, and the fallout fans have been super about it.
- Fallout 2
- Fallout 3
- New Vegas
- Hosted Sites
Posted by Brother None
Thu, 04 Sep 2014 14:26:38 GMT
Wasteland 2 Combat Trailer
Thu, 04 Sep 2014 10:42:01 GMT
Fallout related tidbits
Tue, 19 Aug 2014 20:48:45 GMT
Wasteland 2 releases on September 19th
-Opening Analysis: Fallout
-AMA Q&A with Brian Fargo and Chris Avellone
-Wasteland 2 Interview with Chris Avellone and Brian Fargo
-Wasteland Kickstarter Project Interview with Brian Fargo
-The Origins of Fallout
-Afterfall: InSanity review
-Afterfall: InSanity preview
-Lonesome Road Review
-Old World Blues review
-Fallout2 Hi-Res Patch v4.1.5
-Fallout1 Hi-Res Patch v4.1.5
-Falloup, a Fallout Comic by 'Ten'
-FO1 bos grenades quest
-Graphics Viewer v1.36
-RobCo Systems Beta 1.0
-S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Anarchy Cell Design Document
-Koan's Gift: Oblivion Lost Design Document Pack
-S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Oblivion Lost Design Document
-S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Oblivion Lost Story Outline
-Fallout Script Editor 1.5a
-Mission Mojave Fixpack
-Garden Of Eden Creation Kit
-The Weapon Mod Menu
-The Mod Configuration Menu
-Interior Lighting Overhaul
Older news articles can be found over here.
©1997-> End of time Odin. The Contents of this page may not be used, published or reproduced without the owners written permission.
All other material © of their respectful owners.