Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jeremy Soule: not the Fallout 3 soundtrack artist

Total Downloaded

Jeremy Soule: not the Fallout 3 soundtrack artist

NMA got in touch with Artistry Entertainment, Jeremy Soule's music company, to get a final word on whether or not Jeremy Soule did the title track of the Fallout webpage and/or will do the Falout 3 soundtrack. The reply:
    Mr. Soule has not done and has no current plans to write music for Fallout 3.

I should set a custom title Lived Through the Heat Death

Total Downloaded
    Ah!

I should set a custom title A Smooth-Skin

Total Downloaded
    But what if they made plans for him?

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Role-Player
    Possible, but the bigger question is: who did the title track on the Fallout 3 website?

It'd be hilarious if it were Mark Morgan.

Super Moderator Venerable Relic of the Wastes

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother None
    Not really. He'd still be doing what they tell him to do.
    Fiat iustitia ruat coelum, et pereat mundus.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratty
    The rest of us can enjoy being lovable retards.

Total Downloaded
    I don't know, I've never seen any interview with Mark Morgan in which it becomes obvious that his soundtracks rock because he rocks, or if they were just flukes.

Remember, Charles Deenen did half the PS:T track.

I should set a custom title Mildly Dipped

Total Downloaded
    Interesting. As much as I enjoy Soules music, this is good news. I must admit that I am slightly surprised as I find the track to sound quite a bit like him, or at the very least, certain parts of it.

I really wonder who did the piece. I still think it's a good piece of music on its own, but not exactly fitting for Fallout. This is the kind of stuff that I really think Bethesda could reveal without breaking their "unveiling of the game" style. I mean, you got the piece of music up there, so why not reveal who composed the damn thing? Blah.

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Role-Player
    Possible, but the bigger question is: who did the title track on the Fallout 3 website?

Remember about that doc you've showed me a few weeks ago? That would indeed be hillarious

Poète maudit This ghoul has seen it all
    Total Downloaded
    Thom Yorke/Radiohead did the track.
    Since I know him personally, I pm'd him this morning about the matter and here's his reply:

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Yorke
    Hey man!
    How are you doing? I was totally surprised when I saw your mail in my inbox!. It's been years since I've heard from you, dude! Last time I saw you, you helped me write them wicked lyrics for Kid A. Jesus. I thought you had died, to be honest. And I kinda hoped you did, because I knew you fancied my wife and I knew she fancied you, so your death was more than welcome. But now... Jesus, man, it's good to hear from you. I still feel like I owe you one for writing those lyrics for Paranoid Android and Karma Police. Them songs helped us a lot, man. Bless you, alec. You're an angel. YOu really are.

To answer your question: yeah, we did that lazy Fallout 3 title track. Some arsehole from Bethesda begged us to do it. He swore he would kill his cat if we didn't, and you know how much I love animals. We caved in. Pretty much immediately. I used some crazy electro tunes we fabricated the night you visited (back in 2004), added some tribal drums by Jonny and looped all that crap in the studio. It's not our best tune, but to be honest: we couldn't be bothered. Jonny's haemorrhoids were bleeding like hell at the time of recording, and we had a little gig in Ipswich, so we called it a day. In any case, the Bethesda guy was pleased. He didn't kill his cat and he send us 10,000 pounds to buy coke and whores and booze with. Awesome. I'll send you some of the cash, so you can have a good time as well. Are you still into women's feet? Hah! I remember that one night when you sucked Naomi Campbell's toes and fucked her in front of the band. That was awesome, man. That slut was begging for a time-out, yet you kept singing "I'm a creep, I'm a weirdo...". Unforgettable. Last thing I heard, they were going to do a Hollywood flick about it. You rule!

Hey, thanks for the popsicles you send for my kids. I was pretty disgusted when I saw they were shaped like male genitals, but after thinking about it, I totally understood. It's metaphysical, ain't it? You're so deep, man. And you're one in a million, alec. You're the man. Keep in touch, and tell you're friends at NMA they have nothing to worry about: that dude at Bethesda told me Fallout 3 would be a first person shooter with lots of blood and nudity and drugs. You guys are in for a treat. Trust me.

Thom Yorke
    Here you have it. You can PM me if you want further details.

I should set a custom title Venerable Relic of the Wastes

Total Downloaded
    Hahah, would be hilarious if it turned out to be Mark Morgan, especially that it really is similar to the Tanker music.

I should set a custom title Still Mildly Glowing

Total Downloaded
    Yep
    And it also reminds me a little of Planescape soundtrack, it really realy might be Mark Morgan, the beginning is very Morganish

I should set a custom title Mildly Dipped

Total Downloaded
    Ever think they could be lying? It's not like they have any fucking morals in this industry. Days before Blizzard's announcement of Starcraft 2 they plainly said they were not developing the game.

I should set a custom title Vault Senior Citizen

Total Downloaded

It sounds ancient, heroic, epic, frantic, unsophisticated, and totally inappropriate for Fallout. It doesn’t sound like the tanker music or Mark Morgan. It reminded me of some of the Dawn of War music, so I checked the credits for the latest game, expecting Jeremy Soule to be the composer, but to my suprise it was Inon Zur (http://www.inonzur.com).

He has written a wide variety of music, including trailers for films, music for TV, ads and games, such as Pirates of the Caribbean: The Legend of Jack Sparrow, Icewind Dale II, Baldur's Gate II: Throne Of Bhaal, Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War - Dark Crusade & Winter Assault. He seems to be well respected, critics mentioning the word ‘epic’ to describe the style of many of his pieces.

It seems possible that he wrote the title music using a trailer format, the changes in themes lending themselves to a short video that could be the ‘teaser’.

So firstly, the title music reminds me of his other work. There are similar structures, orchestration, harmonies, rhythms and more. Here are a few samples from his website:

http://www.inonzur.com/audio/mp3/pop...of_the_end.mp3
    http://www.inonzur.com/audio/mp3/tra...adowsofwar.mp3
    http://www.inonzur.com/audio/mp3/lin...battlerage.mp3
    http://www.inonzur.com/audio/mp3/tra...yfootsteps.mp3
    http://www.inonzur.com/audio/mp3/pirates_main_title.mp3
    http://www.inonzur.com/audio/mp3/trailer_ahero.mp3

Secondly, he was the composer for Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel, which along with his reputation, makes him seem a likely candidate to work on Fallout 3.

Lastly, Google yielded some interesting posts on a forum at www.theisonews.com which I unfortunately haven’t been able to verify.

Quote Originally Posted by [url=http://www.theisonews.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=120926&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=150&sid=2352224f1864a37641a484ec57461b2e
    In 2005, theisonews forum[/url]]
    coroner4 wrote:
    On the Inon Zur (music composer for Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, etc.) website I saw this:
    Inon has started composing the original score for a major RPG production which is the sequel to one of the interactive entertainment industry's best-selling and multi award-winning franchises.
    I can only assume is Fallout 3.
    Sweet.
    [ed//]
    Yeap, you're right. Oblivion is a possible right answer, but you'll see - the music from Fallout 3 will be also signed by Inon Zur.
    And I don’t see him credited for Oblivion…

Consequently, I think the composer is Inon Zur.
    Forgive my ignorance Master.
    DIE...die weak fool (cue Bozar death)

Total Downloaded
    Inon Zur is a poor man's Jeremy Soule, possibly one of the few choices out there *worst* than Soule.

His Tactics track was unimpressive.

Total Downloaded
    Shit, I feel stupid now. I gave Bethesda credit where they didn't actually deserve it.

Oh well.

"Absolute truth is a very rare and dangerous commodity in the context of professional journalism." (Hunter S. Thompson)

I should set a custom title A Smooth-Skin

Total Downloaded
    Inon Zur is a poor man's Jeremy Soule, possibly one of the few choices out there *worst* than Soule.

His Tactics track was unimpressive.
    Hey man, his Throne of Bhall tracks were pretty good.

Total Downloaded
    The IWD tracks too, or maybe it's my poor memory

Total Downloaded
    Icewind Dale II yah.

http://www.inonzur.com/credits.html

Much of the music seems amateurish, hackneyed and uninteresting.

I should set a custom title Water Chip? Been There, Done That

Total Downloaded
    Ugh. The Tactics music was bland and ill-paced. (The only track I remember in any detail is the combat music, which didn't fit Fallout at all).

Still, if this were the worst thing Fallout 3 had to offer but the rest of the game was good, I'd just grab some MP3s of Fallout 1 music and replace them.

Total Downloaded
    I found the original press release on Zur's website with an archive service this time, but it seems even less likely with the date, December 2004, and title. However, could somebody please identify the title they are talking about if it isn't F3?

Inon Signed to Score Epic RPG
    December 4, 2004

Inon has started composing the original score for a major RPG production which is the sequel to one of the interactive entertainment industry's best-selling and multi award-winning franchises.
    I'm not a great fan of fantasy games, or I might have missed it anyway, but could it be that any reference to the 'epic RPG' mysteriously disappeared from his website because it was spotted by the angry, secretive client?

(or he could have been dropped from some other game heh heh)

EDIT: Found a page that suggests the title could have been a post-Jefferson Baldur's Gate 3.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast