Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

Thread: Fallout 2 on Windows 7

  1. #1
    I should set a custom title Mildly Dipped

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    545
    Total Downloaded
    0

    Fallout 2 on Windows 7

    There's probably a thread on this already somewhere, VAT this thread if neccesary.

    Uh so yeah, Just installed Windows 7 (which is pretty great so far) but im having a few issues with FO2.

    When I first installed it wouldn't seem to even start, but this problem has resolved itself since I have hooked up dual monitors. I tried patching and I got an error, and probably worst of all I get really fucked up graphics glitches (rainbow screen, quite similair to my vista problem only Alt+Tab wont work.

    Any help is appreciated. and again, sorry if this thread is unnecesary.

  2. #2
    I should set a custom title Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mildura, Australia
    Posts
    473
    Total Downloaded
    0
    Windows 7 user here.

    Install Sfall. Fixes everything you mentioned.

  3. #3
    Lowly new user First time out of the vault

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2
    Total Downloaded
    0
    Hopefully someone can help with my issue in Windows 7 (64b).

    They game runs fine (other than fmv graphic issues that I can deal with) but I cannot run the 1.02 patch. When I try to run f2patch.exe I get this message:

    The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher.

    Obviously there is no 64-bit version of the 1.02 patch, so I can't patch the game. Without patching to 1.02, the sfall or high res mods won't install, so....

    Anyone else run into problems patching? I've tried compatibility mode in both 98 and XP settings, and run as administrator, but always the same error message.

    Thanks

  4. #4
    I should set a custom title Mildly Dipped

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    545
    Total Downloaded
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Aphyosis
    Windows 7 user here.

    Install Sfall. Fixes everything you mentioned.
    Your a god, thank you.

    I might suggest keeping this thread for advice with Windows 7?

  5. #5
    I should set a custom title Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mildura, Australia
    Posts
    473
    Total Downloaded
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Millertime
    Hopefully someone can help with my issue in Windows 7 (64b).

    They game runs fine (other than fmv graphic issues that I can deal with) but I cannot run the 1.02 patch. When I try to run f2patch.exe I get this message:

    The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher.

    Obviously there is no 64-bit version of the 1.02 patch, so I can't patch the game. Without patching to 1.02, the sfall or high res mods won't install, so....

    Anyone else run into problems patching? I've tried compatibility mode in both 98 and XP settings, and run as administrator, but always the same error message.

    Thanks
    Compatibility mode and such won't work when its the different executable. As far as im aware, theres no 64 bit exe available for the patch so your going to have to obtain a pre patched version. All the trilogy packs and the later original releases are 1.02 anyway.

  6. #6
    I should set a custom title Mildly Dipped

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    545
    Total Downloaded
    0
    Installed Sfall, still getting the rainbow glitch. Patches installed with no problems however.

  7. #7
    Modder Water Chip? Been There, Done That

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    921
    Total Downloaded
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by PastaMasta
    Installed Sfall, still getting the rainbow glitch. Patches installed with no problems however.
    Installing it on its own isn't going to help you if you don't set up the options to actually do anything. Read the faq that came with it; your rainbow problems come under the heading of psychedelic colour schemes.

  8. #8
    Lowly new user First time out of the vault

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2
    Total Downloaded
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Aphyosis
    Quote Originally Posted by Millertime
    Hopefully someone can help with my issue in Windows 7 (64b).

    They game runs fine (other than fmv graphic issues that I can deal with) but I cannot run the 1.02 patch. When I try to run f2patch.exe I get this message:

    The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher.

    Obviously there is no 64-bit version of the 1.02 patch, so I can't patch the game. Without patching to 1.02, the sfall or high res mods won't install, so....

    Anyone else run into problems patching? I've tried compatibility mode in both 98 and XP settings, and run as administrator, but always the same error message.

    Thanks
    Compatibility mode and such won't work when its the different executable. As far as im aware, theres no 64 bit exe available for the patch so your going to have to obtain a pre patched version. All the trilogy packs and the later original releases are 1.02 anyway.
    Just an update - I was able to extract the fallout.exe from the f2patch.exe and then manually place it into the game folder. Seems to work fine and sfall does not complain.

  9. #9
    I should set a custom title Mildly Dipped

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    545
    Total Downloaded
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Timeslip
    Quote Originally Posted by PastaMasta
    Installed Sfall, still getting the rainbow glitch. Patches installed with no problems however.
    Installing it on its own isn't going to help you if you don't set up the options to actually do anything. Read the faq that came with it; your rainbow problems come under the heading of psychedelic colour schemes.
    Alright, it's all good. Thanks.

  10. #10
    I should set a custom title Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mildura, Australia
    Posts
    473
    Total Downloaded
    0
    Good to hear your both up and running.

  11. #11
    Lowly new user First time out of the vault

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vault 13
    Posts
    4
    Total Downloaded
    0

    Windows 7 hates Fallout 2!

    I recently got a new computer with Windows 7. When I installed Fallout Trilogy everything seemed fine until I tried out Fallout 2. The graphics were all screwed up with rainbow splotches and inverted colors. I tried to patch it with Sfall and then this error pops up.

    You're trying to use sfall with an incompatible version of fallout.
    Was expecting 'Fallout 2 v1.02 US'

    fallout2.exe was an unexpected size. Expected 0x122800 but got 0x4d6

    Fallout and Fallout Tactics work fine, Fallout just needed some simple compatibility options. Please assist.

  12. #12
    This topic shouldn't have been that difficult to spot.
    Game help can be found in my Fallout guides.

    Quote Originally Posted by elpintogrande
    The people who are a part of the "Fallout Community" have been refined and distilled over time into glittering gems of hatred.
    Quote Originally Posted by Todo.txt
    BUG: Fixed alcoholic lizards!

  13. #13
    I should set a custom title Still Mildly Glowing

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    US of A, mofo
    Posts
    222
    Total Downloaded
    0
    Hi.

    I fixed fallout1 based upon:

    This Mofo's Thread

    However, he says "Fallout 2 is done by a similar process!"

    Uh. thanks. makes great pets. yeah.

    similar is so technical and explanatory.

    I just want to play this game like I am fallout1. it runs perfect, i have it at 800x600 no graphical glitches. Looks best at that resolution. Steam sucks. They release it without working on windows 7. Yay.

    Any complete tips and explanations? I have been reading these forums for a few days. yay.... Nay, maybe... a while? Still havent figured it out. I need to replace a file but I need a perfectly compatible version......

    By the way, awesome forum, peeps!

    I will have to try the unofficial fall2 patch after I go through F2 as is. looks might fly.

    -----
    Addendum:
    Yeah, the unofficial won't install either, nothing will yay.... it should just replace anyways.

  14. #14
    I should set a custom title Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mildura, Australia
    Posts
    473
    Total Downloaded
    0
    Your gonna get weird colors and problems without Sfall on 7 man.

  15. #15
    I should set a custom title Still Mildly Glowing

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    US of A, mofo
    Posts
    222
    Total Downloaded
    0
    I am asking how to install all things including sfall. that is my forum post question. from beginning to end on Steam, not actual disk.

  16. #16
    I should set a custom title Still Mildly Glowing

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Porto Alegre,Brazil
    Posts
    215
    Total Downloaded
    0
    hmm el_jefe_of_ny Fallout 2 works fine on Win7 with killaps patch (installs sfall) so should download it at http://killap.net/

    but if fallout steam version is all compressed up (like team fortress 2) then i think there is no way to modify it

    btw, if you ever have to choose between a steam version or a retail version of any game, choose the retail one

  17. #17
    Still kind of new First time out of the vault

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    12
    Total Downloaded
    0
    I just got a new PC with Windows 7. Right now, I have sfall, Killap's patch and Killap's Restoration Project installed. After troubleshooting a few things, now I'm stuck on a new hurdle: I get the "Failure initializing input devices" error. Changing backgroundMouse and backgroundKeyboard to 1 failed to solve the problem.

    So, any suggestions?

  18. #18
    I should set a custom title Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mildura, Australia
    Posts
    473
    Total Downloaded
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by El Scorcho
    I just got a new PC with Windows 7. Right now, I have sfall, Killap's patch and Killap's Restoration Project installed. After troubleshooting a few things, now I'm stuck on a new hurdle: I get the "Failure initializing input devices" error. Changing backgroundMouse and backgroundKeyboard to 1 failed to solve the problem.

    So, any suggestions?
    Do you run a crossfire system?

    Also, try reopening it. I get that on mine, but it usually runs without hassle on the second or third go.

  19. #19
    Still kind of new First time out of the vault

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    12
    Total Downloaded
    0
    Nah, I don't have a crossfire system. Tried to reopen it five times to no avail. Damn. :/

    Edit: After deleting the ereg folder, it seems to work after a couple tries like you said.

  20. #20
    Still kind of new First time out of the vault

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    17
    Total Downloaded
    0
    you may also try the "Fallout 2 Revived Installer", just google it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions