Note: This is not an April Fool's Joke!
The monumental day has finally come. Some of you lost hope; many patiently stuck around to the end. The beyond long awaited 2.0 release of the Restoration Project is at hand. This is a MAJOR release, which boasts overhauls to nearly all aspects of the content already in the mod. In addition, the eagerly awaited addition of the Shi sub can now be enjoyed, as well as several other minor/moderate new content additions. It seems like we're finally running out of cut content to add. Of course, no release would be complete without a slew of bug fixes to ensure a stable and enjoyable playing time. Not only were bugs fixed in the mod, but nearly a hundred bugs have been squashed that were in the vanilla version of the game and were not yet fixed by my unofficial patch. To me, this release is what I wanted version 1.0 of the mod to be. I'm extremely proud of what has been accomplished and ever so grateful to those who helped make it happen. It only took me about 2 1/2 years to get here.
To prevent delaying this release even further, multilingual support has been temporary removed. This means that the mod can only be played in English. Have no fear though, as a multilingual patch which adds back in Polish, French, and German (and perhaps others!) support will be released within a few weeks. Of course, this doesn't mean that those with non English versions of the game cannot enjoy this release. It just means that you'll have to play with English text until your language is supported.
Just as a heads up, the size of the Restoration Project has increased even more this time around - this is a good thing of course! It is more than twice as large as 1.2. The installer is about 128 MB and the manual version is about 98 MB.
A special thanks goes out to community members Dravean and Pixote. This release wouldn't be possible without them. Of course, I'm extremely grateful to many others who contributed to this release. Your names can be found in the readme as well as the game credits.
Please read the readme that comes with the mod. It is for your own good!
Bug reports should be posted in this thread or added to the Fallout 2 RP technical wiki. A link can be found below.
If you are plagued by random empty encounters on the world map, this means you did not do a fresh install of the game. DO SO. If for some reason you cannot, then go to this directory: fallout2\data\scripts and delete a file called: glkagaen.int
2.1 has since been released. Head over to the new thread: here
RP 2.0 Change Log:
• Complete dialogue overhaul for every RP location and character
The dialogue in the RP often left much to be desired and it never quite fit with the rest of the vanilla dialogue. Well, this should no longer be the case and nearly all the dialogue at RP locations has been rewritten and should seamlessly fit into the rest of the game. A big thanks to community member Dravean for his help in this area.
• Kaga Redone
Kaga has been completely overhauled to be more true to his original intent. His encounters are no longer scripted sequences and nor are they forced. Kaga's encounters are just like normal encounters, but deadly ones at that. You'll get some dialogue to go along with it too, but it has completely been rewritten.
• Complete overhaul of the EPA
This location has been completely redesigned to be bigger and better than ever - new map, new dialogue, new quests, new secrets, etc. A big thanks to Pixote for his awesome mapping and graphic skills.
• 3 new recruitable npcs available
To go along with the EPA overhaul, there are now 3 npcs that can join you which are found there. The one you get depends upon the skills you have chosen to develop.
• Improvements to every RP location
Not only has the dialogue improved at every RP location, but the quests have also been altered. The quests at these locations have been improved and new ones have even been added.
• Shi Submarine
Sailing to the Enclave no longer requires just fixing up the Tanker. The undead guardian of San Francisco is preventing anything from entering or leaving the harbor and something has to be done about it. This content has finally been realized thanks to the beautiful graphic work of community member Continuum.
• Improved maps
Both vanilla and RP locations look better than ever thanks to help of community member Pixote.
• Vertibird is no longer flyable to the Enclave, but...
You no longer can fly a vertibird to the Enclave, as there really wasn't enough evidence supporting the intent of this. It didn't even make sense logically - how could everyone from your tribe, etc fit on board? However, evidence instead points to the intent for the player to stowaway on a vertibird during the Salvatore-Enclave transaction. Thus, in much the same way as the player could get to the Military Base in F1 at an earlier time than usual, the same concept is now possible in F2. The chance of survival is slim, but it's not impossible.
• Updated Sfall to the latest version currently out (2.6a).
• Source of the "too many items bug" seems to have been found and fixed. Hoarders rejoice!
• All party members will now give text floats when crippled, radiated, poisoned, etc.
• Elevators at the EPA now act like elevators in the rest of the game (no dialogue window).
• New graphics for the cryogenic chambers as well as a new electric chair.
• Expanded Doctor Jones' (Vault 15) dialogue to bring better closure to him.
• Unlocked dialogue where The Corsican Brothers give special comments for selected Pornstar names.
• It is now possible to smell the cologne on Cody's dead body and deduce that Jules is the killer.
• You can now gain citizenship at Vault City from Lynette by blowing up Gecko's reactor. She said she would give you it, but never did. It's good to be evil.
• New and improved town map for the Abbey.
• Added "special surprise" found only after beating the game. Just travel the Wastes after beating the game and you will find this nice treat!
• Unlocked dialouge with the Enlightened One in NCR.
• Unlocked dialogue with the President discussing the Vice Presidents role in the Project.
• Added night version of the wasteland background used for NPC talking heads.
• New Child Killer karma title.
New/Modified Installer Extras:
• New AP Ammo mod included which fixes the problem of hitting for 0 damage (Horrigan, etc).
• Added option in the installer for new animations for the Sniper, Hunting Rifle, FN Fal and Wakizashi courtesy of Josan12.
• Added option in the installer for animations when smoking cigarettes and drugs found at EPA. Smoking too much gives you the "Smoker" karma title. Courtesy of Josan12.
• NPC Armor mod now has animations for Cassidy wearing leather armor. Courtesy of x'il.
• NPC Armor mod now has animations for Myron when he is wearing Combat armor and Power armor. Courtesy of Josan12.
• Mash's High Resolution mod. Play Fallout 2 at resolutions greater than 640x480!
• Bug with Aunt Morlis and the Flint has been corrected.
• Having sex with Slim Picket now correctly removes the Virgin of the Waste rep.
• Fixed obscure bug with Torr and unexpectedly failing his quest.
• Conditions for encountering the Gecko Verti Assault have been corrected. It was possible to not encounter them even though you were supposed to.
• Corrected numerous bugs with the Vault Village questline. This quest should now work as intended no matter the path chosen.
• It is no longer possible to go on a Broken Hills cattle drive after putting Chad in jail.
• Corrected a dialogue scripting error in the listing of vaults from the Vault 13 computer.
• Corrected a dialogue scripting error when returning the stolen body to the Shi.
• Corrected several bugs with taking the Vertibird to the Enclave (unable to continue playing the game after beating it, ending slides coming up too early, etc) --this is no longer relevant for RP 2.0, but it was left in for reference since it did happen for an internal release.
• If you kill everyone at the Primitive Tribe, you can now enter the cave on the shoreside.
• Inhabitants of the Primitive Tribe no longer display "error" as text floats when you are a Slaver.
• It is no longer possible to speak with the Primitive Tribe leader from outside the tent without first having had permission to enter.
• Fixed Windows 9x crash bug when entering the Primitive Tribe.
• Fixed issue with car disappearing from the Primitive Tribe.
• Corrected map holes at the Abbey which allowed critters to go outside the visible part of the map.
• Giving Brother Paul at the Abbey the botany disk no longer displays a dialogue option of "error".
• Corrected bug which allowed for infinite xp when repairing the broken water pump at the Abbey.
• Fixed various scripting issues with McGee in New Reno.
• It is no longer possible to have the initial conversation with the leader of the Slaver Camp more than once.
• Changed the weapons the Slavers at the Slaver camp have for game balance.
• The Slavers at the Slaver camp will no longer run off the map thus preventing the Sulik Sister quest from becoming unfinishable.
• The Slavers at the Slaver camp will now correctly react when stolen from.
• Time now correctly passes when you travel to and fro the Primitive Tribe and Slaver camp (not via the world map)
• Fixed bugged stats with the drugs found at the EPA.
• Removed remote dynamite from the EPA as game limitations prevented it from working as it should.
• Fixed bug with Skynet (and hopefully others) which would randomly prevent them from leveling.
• Abbey map tweaked for improved playability.
• Corrected even more typos/grammar mistakes.
• If Marcus or Myron die after the fight with Horrigan but before viewing the ending slides the game would say they died years later. This has been fixed.
• The ending slides for the Hubologists is no longer randomly chosen but dependent upon what you do for them.
• Numerous other bug fixes/code optimizations I forgot to keep track of (or are not worth mentioning in detail). More bug free than ever!
• Nearly a hundred original game bugs squashed that were not yet fixed by my unofficial patch. Most notably a work around for the too many items bug and a fix for Cassidy forgetting his combat settings.