Thread: Unconfirmed: iPhone Fallout Tactics: New Vegas coming

Total Downloaded

Unconfirmed: iPhone Fallout Tactics: New Vegas coming

From the left-field of totally unexpected rumour country comes this Rumour Mine bit from PocketGamer, which brings us rumblings that the iPhone game Bethesda is known to be working on is a Fallout spin-off set for simultaneous release with New Vegas, bizarrely called Fallout Tactics: New Vegas.
    Bethesda gambling on Fallout Tactics: New Vegas

It's been several months since Bethesda announced plans to release a major iPhone and iPod touch game, providing little information as to exactly what the lauded developer is creating.

The company has gone silent while it hunkers down to finish the game in time for a simultaneous release with console role-playing game Fallout: New Vegas.

Fallout Tactics: New Vegas promises a new game for iPhone and iPod touch that takes the tactical role-playing of the 2001 PC title Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel, while using the south-western locale of the upcoming console game.

It's a brave venture given the company's lack of experience developing portable games, though if this iPhone spin-off is anywhere near as good as its console releases then we're in for a treat.

Bethesda feels that turn-based role-playing works better on portable than real-time, hence the decision to go with a new take on Fallout Tactics. Additionally, the PC game was well-received, and addressing some of the complaints lodged against it - linear structure, major bugs that we never fixed, etc. - with a new instalment seem like a good way to go.

The iPhone game, which sets up the story for the start of Fallout: New Vegas, will also help to promote the console release expected some time this autumn. More details could be coming as soon as June during E3.
    It doesn't make no sense, but take it with a hefty helping of salt.

Super Moderator Lived Through the Heat Death
    Total Downloaded
    I can't express, how much fail I see in this (If it turns out true).

I should set a custom title Mildly Dipped

Total Downloaded
    Bethesda feels that turn-based role-playing works better on portable than real-time, hence the decision to go with a new take on Fallout Tactics.
    Because real-time is a console just like a portable gaming machine? Why can't turn-based games be made for computers? Or an xbox or PS3? Screw them if they think turn-based is better on portable than anything else. I'm sure I'd have way more fun playing CIV4 on a tiny frickin PSP or DS!

Kinda cool if this turns out to be true, Tactics was ok, a new version might actually be better.
    We can always opt for electric brain shock to forget our memories. So long as we remember to make a note to play Fallout and Fallout 2!!! and AFTERFALL w007!!!! 1337ness!!!!!!

Total Downloaded
    You're misreading, Goweigus.

Replace "works better" with "is more marketable" and really, you can close the book.

Weird rumour. Gotta peg it as nonsense for now but who knows.

I should set a custom title First time out of the vault

Total Downloaded
    That's it, I'm done. I'll always support NMA, but that's it. Fuck Fallout.
    I'm not being pessimistic, I'm being realistic.

I should set a custom title It Wandered In From the Wastes

Total Downloaded
    Fallout Tactics: New Vegas ...how original.. well its bethesda so why should i expect something different

I should set a custom title It Wandered In From the Wastes

Total Downloaded
    Sounds like a bad (and rather late) April fools joke.

They should call it "Fallout Tactics 2: New Vegas: The Brotherhood of Steel Extreme"

I should set a custom title Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Total Downloaded
    You're both wrong. Replace "portable" with "the iPhone & iPod Touch's crappy interface". Real-time works fine and seems to sell fine on handhelds, it just doesn't work so well when the entire interface is a touch screen.

On that note, I wonder if they'll be as stupid as Capcom and charge for stuff like cheats.

The iPhone and iPod Touch just seem like the worst portables to get simply because it seems like software (or "Apps") for them are fucking ridiculously expensive.

"Pessimism is, in brief, playing the sure game. You cannot lose at it; you may gain. It is the only view of life in which you can never be disappointed. Having reckoned what to do in the worst possible circumstances, when better arise, as they may, life becomes child's play."
    ~Thomas Hardy

"Idealism is what precedes experience; cynicism is what follows."
    ~David T. Wolf

I should set a custom title Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Total Downloaded
    I think they are just fucking with us. Like if someone eats a hamburger in front of a homeless man just to be an asshole, and instead of finishing it, he spites on it several times, drops it on the ground and kicks it to the bum.
    Dum spiro spero, dum spero vivo. - "Whilst I breathe, I hope, whilst I hope, I live".

archont - I know some people claim words hurt more than bullets but come on.
    Herr Mike - Those people have neve been shot.

Made in USSR Vault Senior Citizen
    Total Downloaded
    I don't see the big problem... Fallout: Tactics was an offshoot, and this is a continuation of that branch.
    Compound (isometric RPG)

I should set a custom title Vault Senior Citizen

Total Downloaded
    It is a rumor and a really retarded sounding one, stop taking so much stock in it.
    You can clean up the mess, but don't touch my coffin.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Russian Rainbow
    try gangreen of the dick

I should set a custom title Venerable Relic of the Wastes

Total Downloaded
    Sounds plausible, there's been lots of talk about a Fallout iPhone game already.

I should set a custom title A Smooth-Skin

Total Downloaded
    We already have Fallout The Lunch Box.

Soon we can look forward to Fallout the Breakfast Cereal, Fallout the Toilet Paper, and if we're really lucky we can get Fallout The Flame Thrower!

Legislative Senator oTO Carbon Dated and Proud
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    I can totally live with fallout on portable devices, and iPhone is not such a bad idea (except for the small screen) since you get to publish it for the iPad as well. And as an iPad game, I can really see the potential if done right.

(iphone/ipad use the same code base/app store for those who were wondering)

I get why they would want to sneak in the new vegas name in the title for milking purposes, but that does not necessarily equal bad.

Quote Originally Posted by verevoof
    And if you still want to hold on to "solid dick", I have the issue right in my hand and can take a picture of the page.

I should set a custom title Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Total Downloaded
    Wait, what? Don't be fooled, it's a late 1st April joke.

Or is it!?

I should set a custom title First time out of the vault

Total Downloaded
    As an iPhone owner and a one of the few who enjoyed Fallout Tactics I welcome it. If they stick to the design used in the original PC game it could turn out to be a nice diversion.
    Best Regards
    ][avok : Circus-Maximus.com