Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: 25 best Fallout New Vegas mods

Total Downloaded

25 best Fallout New Vegas mods

PC Gamer provides a top 25 New Vegas mods list.
    1. Centred third person camera
    Why did Bethesda give us the weird over-the-shoulder cam in Fallout 3? Why didn’t Obsidian get rid of it for New Vegas? We may never know. Probably because they imagined players actually trying to take aim and fire in third person mode, which is insane. Third person is for screenshots and lightsaber fights – we’ve known that since Jedi Knight 2! Fortunately, every time a developer does this, one of the lovely modder people undoes it.

This mod also lets you zoom all the way out. How far? All of the far, that’s how far.

14. Lethal headshots
    Another fantastic mod, this makes headshots deadly. “Headshot” is the medical term for the condition where a bullet breaks open your skull and rattles through your brains, scrambling your grey matter and rocketing out of the other side. So yeah, that should really kill you.

That’s what this mod does, while preserving the shakey-aim of lower Guns skill and thus maintaining game balance. Wear a helmet, people! It also decreases your chance of scoring a headshot in VATS, which is a welcome balance tweak, and the damage buff doesn’t apply to all creatures – Deathclaws are made of sterner stuff, and robots don’t always have brains where you’d expect them to.

I’d also like to give a special mention to the commenter on the Fallout: New Vegas Nexus who suggested that this mod should cause the game to end after the first cinematic (where you get shot in the face).

15. No RPG bullet bending
    This has the same goals as the above mod – make the guns work more realistically – but it goes about it in a totally different way. Rather than touch the damage that guns do, this mod makes them super accurate. It’s not for me, personally – I found that with a Guns skill of 20 I could kill anyone from an enormous distance just by waiting for my shot and killing them with a sneak bonus. If you’re not a fan of RPG elements, though, this can help turn Fallout: New Vegas into a pure FPS.

Super Moderator Lived Through the Heat Death
    Total Downloaded
    14. Lethal headshots
    So, a cheat mod, eh?

This "improved" Perks mod sounds bullshit too.

Señor Member Half-way Through My Half-life
    Total Downloaded

Re: 25 best Fallout New Vegas mods

Quote Originally Posted by Brother None
    This has the same goals as the above mod – make the guns work more realistically – but it goes about it in a totally different way. Rather than touch the damage that guns do, this mod makes them super accurate. It’s not for me, personally – I found that with a Guns skill of 20 I could kill anyone...
    Wouldn't it be better (as in more realistic) the other way around? Low skill, bad accuracy, but a bullet that hits will always cause the same amount of damage. Old debate, I guess... I personally never liked the idea of skill affecting damage at all.

What I mean is not necessarily bullet bending, perhaps have skill be inversely proportional to how much your crosshair moves around by itself.

Mice killed by 2 Supercats™: 20
    Mice killed by actual cat: 5
    Birds killed: 6
    Mice saved: 2

I should set a custom title Vault Senior Citizen
    Total Downloaded
    2. Black Company improved perks

A whole slew of balanced, interesting perks.
    Some examples would have been nice...

Some of those mods seem nice, others are pointless or...stupid? Number 10 adds more grass. What? It's a desert after all. Number 11 adds a shack for the player in Goodsprings. Again, what? It's so hard to wait till Novac?

Also...

23. Play after the main quest ends

Didn’t Bethesda eventually put out an official patch for Fallout 3 to let you keep playing after the final cutscene ended? This mod does that too. Come on, developers! Pay attention to your modders!

I should set a custom title Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!
    Total Downloaded
    Gettind rid of the auto aim, or bullet bending, was actually quite important in Fallout 3 if you wanted to snipe properly. With the auto aiming somtimes you would head shoot the wrong person because the bullet would home into whoever was closest of two people near each other.

I quite like the head shot mods, they do work against you as well though only a few enemies bother aiming at your noggin.
    ''You have the right to remain inconspicuous."

I should set a custom title It Wandered In From the Wastes

Total Downloaded

Didn’t Bethesda eventually put out an official patch for Fallout 3 to let you keep playing after the final cutscene ended? This mod does that too. Come on, developers! Pay attention to your modders!

Didn't any of Bethsofts fan pay attention when Obsidian said the game would have a set ending for months?

moobs Half-way Through My Half-life
    Total Downloaded
    9. Plausible starting outfit
    “Welcome to New Vegas, stranger! This is a totally different place than the Capital Wasteland. We have cowboy robots, dynamite, and gambling. Watch out for tumbleweeds! Have my old shootin’ iron! Oh, and by the way, here’s a Vault uniform you can wear so you look exactly like you did in the last game.”

No thanks. This changes the starting outfit Doc Mitchell gives you so that he hands over a sort of yokel-flavoured dungaree thing, or a beige dress. That’s more like it. Yee-haw!
    That was worth the read.

I should set a custom title Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Total Downloaded
    Didn't any of Bethsofts fan pay attention when Obsidian said the game would have a set ending for months?
    Again with the set ending? Is it that hard to let the player just do whatever after he beats the game?

Also, didn't Bethesda too talk about a set ending for Fallout 3?
    Dum spiro spero, dum spero vivo. - "Whilst I breathe, I hope, whilst I hope, I live".

archont - I know some people claim words hurt more than bullets but come on.
    Herr Mike - Those people have neve been shot.

I've made over 40 posts First time out of the vault

Total Downloaded

Didn’t Bethesda eventually put out an official patch for Fallout 3 to let you keep playing after the final cutscene ended?
    They did? I thought that was in the Broken Steel DLC only.

I should set a custom title Companion to the Last Proton
    Total Downloaded
    Well, it was broken and thus they made us pay to fix it.

That's like a patch, sort of.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight Solaire of Astora

I should set a custom title Vault Dweller

Total Downloaded
    fallout had a definite ending!

I should set a custom title Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Guiltyofbeingtrite
    fallout had a definite ending!
    But Fallout 2 didn't. It's not breaking for a game to let you continue after the end.
    Dum spiro spero, dum spero vivo. - "Whilst I breathe, I hope, whilst I hope, I live".

archont - I know some people claim words hurt more than bullets but come on.
    Herr Mike - Those people have neve been shot.

I should set a custom title So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Total Downloaded
    But Fallout 2 didn't. It's not breaking for a game to let you continue after the end.
    No, but it's kind of boring and pointless. And FO2 after endgame made no sense.

Total Downloaded
    It made less than no sense. It was a goddamn mess.

I should set a custom title Companion to the Last Proton
    Total Downloaded
    There was only like two places that reflected any change.

The only one I can recall was New Reno and getting that strategy guide item.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight Solaire of Astora

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausdoerrt
    No, but it's kind of boring and pointless. And FO2 after endgame made no sense.
    Was it?
    I kept playing til it ran out of calendar after 13 years.... several times.

Total Downloaded
    3. Better tag skills
    14. Lethal headshots
    21. Automatic skill perks
    24. Higher stakes gambling
    Wait, thats just cheating!
    The NCR needs you STRONG.
    DO NOT EAT IRRADIATED FOOD!

I should set a custom title Still Mildly Glowing

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Khan FurSainty
    Again with the set ending? Is it that hard to let the player just do whatever after he beats the game?

Also, didn't Bethesda too talk about a set ending for Fallout 3?
    It seems more rewarding to just replay the game with a different build. With a level cap and an ending I presume changes the dynamics of the land (or at least gives a solid epilogue, I hope) playing after the ending would be silly.

Either way, It's not like you're railroaded into the ending at a predetermined in-game calendar date. Limitations are how character is developed.

Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Khan FurSainty
    Is it that hard to let the player just do whatever after he beats the game?
    Is it that hard to just not start the final quest if you want to do all of the side missions and whatnot?

I should set a custom title Venerable Relic of the Wastes

Total Downloaded
    Like others said before, there is no point in playing on after you have finished the final quest.

In general the quests are designed that you hear of their impact or conclusion after you have completed one of the four endings.

And what else would people want to do?
    Wander around without a purpose? Collect various stuff?

Don't be deluded by the pretend role playing some of the Bethesda die hards are suggesting, there is no point to them, playing dress up and pretending you are a member of a certain faction or organization.

Unless Obsidian would have plans for an incredible big expansion which follows up on any of the endings of the game I see no point in a DLC afterwards.

[spoiler:c210f22f34]In one ending the NCR takes over the Mojave wasteland, in another the Caesar's Legion, the third Mr House, and the last you are somewhat the ruler of New Vegas and Hoover Dam. There is little room for various quests as either one of the four 'powers' is now in charge with little room for anyone else.[/spoiler:c210f22f34]

The only expansion I could think of would be transporting you somewhere else suddenly after the game but that is way to big for a DLC.

That would be like the Twilight movies going to watch fat girls

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast