Bethesda does it again - Steal other peoples work

Discussion in 'NMA News and Information' started by Proletären, May 9, 2019.

1. Proletären

Proletären Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Mar 15, 2012
    We have previously reported on the crooked behaviour of Bethesda. Last time we reported on one of these incidents Bethesda had been "heavily inspired" by questmod Autumn Leaves for New Vegas. As far as I know they did never apologise for the theft or remove any of the stolen content.

Now they are at it again! Ars Technica reports that Bethesda has copied an entire D&D adventure. I quote:

2. Proletären

Proletären Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Mar 15, 2012
    This doesn't surprise me at all. We all know that Bethesda are completely bankrupt on ideas. They couldn't even create their own post-apocalyptic setting, so they had to buy Fallout (and ruin it).

• [Rad] [Rad] x 4
  3. Squadcar

Squadcar Water Chip? Been There, Done That

Jun 1, 2018
    Someone really goofed. I don't know why as a writer in the modern era, you'd think you could get away with this. There's sites that apparently even check for plagiarism. Working for a multi-million dollar company isn't going to help you hide your plagiarism.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 6
  4. ironmask

ironmask Still Mildly Glowing

Mar 10, 2018
    Bethesda becomes worse every day. How do people still defend them or have any trust in them at all?

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  5. Squadcar

Squadcar Water Chip? Been There, Done That

Jun 1, 2018
    Normally, I'd be all for just blaming the writer who plagiarized but when a company like Bethesda who can hunt down people infringing on anything The Elder Scrolls but they can't be bothered to copy and paste some text from an adventure and find that it was stolen from Wizards of the Coast?

Seriously, it makes sense when reviewers steal other people's reviews off the Steam store page or Youtube videos that struggle to break a thousand views that people can hide it for some time and we blame them not the company they work for. When you have two written pieces that you can just copy and paste the content into a search engine to see it ripped off the legal owners of D&D's work yet fail to catch this, you have more than a plagiarizer to worry about. Was no one checking this?

• [Rad] [Rad] x 2
  6. darkyy

darkyy First time out of the vault

Dec 24, 2005
    Elsweyr sounds amazingly similar to Elsewhere, which is where they got their story from. ;)

• [Rad] [Rad] x 5
  7. Octavian

Octavian It Wandered In From the Wastes

Jun 16, 2018
    -addressing the mod
    I'm pretty sure its fair game legally to use fanmade content, so long as it was made using your tools and engine, in your official game. Isn't that usually part of the T.O.S. on these games?
    Far Harbor was the best piece of gameplay fallout 4 had to offer, so the game was definitely better off for it. This debacle only proves bethesda are hacks incapable of writing their own stuff, which we know already, and doesn't really point towards real plagarism or malicious intent. In fact, if they were more willing to copy the old games the series would be less shit.

-addressing the DnD game
    This is worse because theyre ripping off another copyrighted product by another actual company. I hope they get fucked up the ass.

8. The GoBernment

The GoBernment First time out of the vault

May 29, 2017
    "Ironic"

-Palpatine