Brother None counts down his favourite games

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by Brother None, Oct 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phil the Nuka-Cola Dude

Phil the Nuka-Cola Dude Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Jul 9, 2004
    VtMB huh? That certainly shakes things up a bit. One of those games where the very beginning was deceptively good, and sucked you right in... but then almost immediately fell apart when the shit-awful combat came into play.

I'm calling Oblivion in the top 5. :lol:

2. Nark

Nark Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Dec 6, 2008
    Fallout 3 will be number 1, just you wait... :lol:

3. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    Bloodlines has a very setting-apropos soundtrack, but I wouldn't call it very good.

Not reading much?

No, Dragon Age. RPG of the Decade.

Also, I'm heading out of town until, like, Sunday or summat, should I do the next one before I leave (ie tonight) or when I get back?

4. Verd1234

Verd1234 Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Jan 16, 2009
    Do it tonight....we are all too impatient to wait one week lol...

5. maximaz

maximaz Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Apr 2, 2006
    I thought VTMB was OK. It wasn't bad but I'd never play it again. I agree with BN's review completely, as it did have some good moments, but I dug it a lot less overall.

6. Black

Black Vault Senior Citizen

Jun 21, 2007
    I didn't ask for your smart-ass comments, I started a bet.
    Which you're banned from btw. Maybe this will give you something to think about.

7. Sander

Sander This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

Jul 5, 2003
    Fine, I'll bet you $800 that it doesn't appear in the rest of his top 10 list. 'Cause, y'know, he's already said so.

Now.

8. maximaz

maximaz Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Apr 2, 2006
    Aye, give us the next one now. It'll leave us with something to talk about besides VTMB.

9. Arr0nax

Arr0nax A Smooth-Skin

Oct 30, 2009
    Bothered to try a patch ?
    In fact, for a RPG focusing on, you know, a whole bunch of other things than just combat, the combat itself was pretty decent.
    Better than in other 3rd/1st person RPGs we have as examples like Fallout 3 or Morrowind if you ask me.

And as far as I'm concerned it can pretty much sustain comparison with a game like Deus Ex.

10. Phil the Nuka-Cola Dude

Phil the Nuka-Cola Dude Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Jul 9, 2004
    My first experience of the game was fully patched to 6.5. It still violates two of my biggest pet peeves:

-Forces you into third-person for melee combat. This is really jarring, and does a great job of killing the immersion.

-Hamstrung firearms accuracy, aka 'Why am I aiming like I just huffed paint?'. This sort of thing works in isometric RPGs where the computer is doing the aiming for you; but it's a horrible mechanic to put in an fps, rpg or not.

Shame though, that first vamp you talk to (the biker looking guy) is one of the most likable npcs I've ever encountered in an RPG.

11. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt I should set a custom tit

Oct 28, 2008
    Well, you lost your bet then :lol: What do I win?

P.S. read previous page lol

12. SuAside

SuAside Testament to the ghoul lifespan
    Admin

May 27, 2004
    have it everywhere. my computer playlist, my phone/mp3 player, my netbook,...

just don't play them directly from the playdir. i remember that if you did that with WMP after release, people lost their music. WMP changed something in the files and it could no longer play in the game.

luckily i never use WMP. :)
    i agree with BN that ToEE should rate lower than all previous Troika games. while from a die hard dicejunky point of view it's a good game, but the story was lacking and the gameplay was horrible for someone without a heavy background in DnD rules.

nearly all people who played it that i know personally ended up cheating to get through it and half of them still gave up. that pretty much says a lot.

you realise that handling firearms takes skill and experience.
    it really aint as easy as games usually depict, especially when it comes to multiple shots. :)

besides, the firearms in the game were more than good enough if you got your skills up.

13. Serge 13

Serge 13 Elder Cat oTO Orderite

Jul 20, 2006
    *slaps himself in the face*
    Good idea! I think i should do that right away! :D

14. Gloomy

Gloomy First time out of the vault

Sep 10, 2009
    Smiling Jack was brilliant. The Anarch ending still makes me laugh. He's voiced by John DiMaggio too, which is a plus in my book.

I found them to be a little overpowered when combined with celerity, but I suppose everything was.

On Arcanum's dungeons: Arcanum has the single worst dungeon crawl I have ever experienced in a game. [spoiler:21180afda9]Going through the BMC as a low level gunslinger.[/spoiler:21180afda9]
    To avoid being completely OT, I shall commend Kharn for a most agreeable list, even though I am just an irrelevant new person and no one here cares.

15. SuAside

SuAside Testament to the ghoul lifespan
    Admin

May 27, 2004
    strolling through the city while listening to the Hollywood Theme is quite soothing. 8-)

16. Deadman87

Deadman87 It Wandered In From the Wastes

Nov 7, 2008
    I wish I didn't see that spoiler. *gouges his eyes out*

I actually even think that was the hardest part of the game if I remember correctly. I only managed to do it by abusing the real time combat. Got my comrades to attack stuff whilst I drew the aggro and ran away.

17. Dragula

Dragula Stormtrooper oTO Orderite

Nov 6, 2008
    I had the dog at that part, took down golems why I kited them.

18. SimpleMinded

SimpleMinded Vault Fossil

Jun 17, 2003

I'm with you all the way on the third person melee... I was definitely not a fan of that. Otherwise, solid fun

19. UncannyGarlic

UncannyGarlic Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Feb 6, 2008
    I hate FPP melee, my experience has been that the range of attacks does not match the size of the weapon model and TPP allows for accurate use of wide sweeping attacks. Granted, VtM:B had bad combat regardless but my experience with TPP melee has been, on average, significantly better than FPP melee.

20. Tagaziel

Tagaziel Panzerkatze Staff Member Admin Orderite

Dec 10, 2003
    Dear lord, now I'm having flashbacks.

*sits in the corner, rocking back and forth, mumbling incoherently about dark dungeons, traps and monsters*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.