Female privilege?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Forum' started by R.Graves, Jul 17, 2017 at 5:54 AM.

1. R.Graves

R.Graves Functionally Defective

Apr 21, 2016
    Hear a lot about male priveledge but....

Imagine yourself on a cruise and the ship you are on is sinking. As lifeboats are put into the water, it is discovered that half of them are not seaworthy due to lax maintenance. One out of two sink as they are put into the water and its occupants swim back to the sinking cruise ship, desperately climbing back on board as everyone still on the cruise ship is panicking. You find yourself sitting on one of the lifeboats that actually works. However, a man wearing the uniform of a crew member points at you and yells at you. He is demanding that you get up out of your seat.

He says, "There aren't enough seats for everyone. Women and children first!"

You look over his shoulder and see a woman waiting for you to get up. You tell him to go fuck himself, and refuse to give up your seat. You assert that your life is just as valuable as hers and since you got to the seat first, the seat is rightfully yours. The man waves some of his fellow crew mates over to you and they forcefully remove you from the lifeboat. As soon as your seat becomes available, the women sits in it without hesitation.

The notion that she has priority to that seat has been ingrained into her since childhood. She feels entitled to that seat and whether or not your life is more valuable never even crosses her mind. The fact that you (hypothetically) are a professor at an Ivy League university and one of the most renowned physicists currently living and she is just a house wife is irrelevant. She is a woman.

Where feminism is primarily focused on female supremacy, traditionalism is focused on female superiority. Traditionalism is the other feminism. It's the gynocentric, white knight voice on the conservative side of politics and it’s the reason the ship's crew pulled you from the lifeboat. Traditionalism is the assertion that your life is less valuable than a woman and that it is your duty to consider yourself disposable. It is the pedestalization of women.

2. Millim

Millim What the fuck is this for a shit?!

Oct 13, 2010
    Feminism usually works both ways for each sex and gender.
    It's kind of been hijacked by people other the last few years for reasons too dumb to explain.

I see feminism as being vital to a more progressive society in many regards, but feel that its name kind of gives it a bad impression.
    For the most part, the whole 'woman and children first' is something that a lot of feminists don't really believe in.
    I mean of course children first but yeah...

I see the point and think that tradition is only really good from a more cultural diverse standpoint (a.I going to a different country and experiencing their culture).
    But I am on the point of more progressive attitudes.
    I think the idea of men and women having to take certain roles in society has always been the issue.
    Men are usually seen as being emotionally and physically strong while women are seen as being something to take care of.
    I wouldn't say it's a case of Woman superiority but more pandering.

• [Like] [Like] x 2
  3. Einhanderc7

Einhanderc7 Vat dipped, grown and still oozing with perfection

Apr 22, 2016
    While I do agree such movements for human rights have done great things in the past. I cannot agree with the tactics feminism employs to obtain its goals.

From what I have observed feminism is reductive to culture, not in the sense that they are rejecting right on wrong ideas, but over all.

Movements like feminism or "politically correct" ideals tend to censor and limit art, valid arguments, and limit others civil liberties.

Feminism also tends towards the idea that the female gender is in some form better than the male counter part. While I personally agree with complete equal rights and treat everyone no matter the race or gender as a human being. Movements like feminism tend to place 1 specific gender on a pedestal and force everyone else to see. (Also everyone needs to understand that you can't take an ass out of an asshole, they aren't going anywhere learn to deal with it.)

From their those who are the most vocal about the movement shame and literally persecute those who do not agree with their ideas.

We see examples of this in how the feminism movement attacked video games, small private businesses, federal government, foreign countries, and private institutions that in no way impacted their lives such as private clubs or events catered to a specific demographic that they had no business being involved with.

From what I can tell the feminism movement is mostly a soft inquisition built on passive aggressive shame tactics to effect change. I personally feel that to be deplorable and a rather egregious waste of everyone's time or effort.

I submit this; instead of focusing completely on a gender specific movement, why not promote equal rights and perspectives? Why not just treat people as humans and nothing more? Those that require a restrictive movement like feminism are actually working against themselves, because they are creating a inequality gap by pushing more power and influence onto one vs. spreading it out evenly side.

4. zegh8578

zegh8578 Keeper of the trout Orderite

Mar 11, 2012
    Yeah, they did that shit with the Titanic, and they weren't exactly influenced by modern feminism. Most feminists will reject the whole "women and children first" (at least in theory), because it groups them as helpless - women and children

The whole forcing men to stand on the bow and drown doesn't happen in reality, at least not in modern times.

Traditional feminists are often insulted by "gallantry" in general, opening doors, giving them seats, etc, for the same reason - it "takes away" their independence and alludes to "maiden in distress" sentiments. All that old jazz.

• [Like] [Like] x 2
  5. TorontRayne

TorontRayne Misanthropic God of Fuck Moderator Orderite

Apr 1, 2005
    They should get over it. I open the door for men too. It's polite. Next time they whine about it I'll slap them on the ass and tell them good game.

6. Hassknecht

Hassknecht For hate's sake Admin Orderite

Aug 16, 2010
    Seriously, I hold open the door for everyone, it's polite.
    Anyway, this whole topic is a huge can of worms that can only devolve into petty bullshit. Thing is that this whole social stuff is "understood" too much in terms of postmodernist bullshit, which is basically just intellectual squinting, navel-gazing and cloud-reading so with enough big words anyone can define themselves as a victim in some way. The power over the definitions (as weak as they are) is coming mainly from one side so you won't see the reverse, but in the end it's utterly stupid to try and define who has "priviledge" and who has not.
    Is the western world more concerned about the health of women than of men? Yes, but society also wants to control women's health and bodies to a stronger degree than men's. Society doesn't give a shit about men, but that also gives them more freedom. So who is the priviledged group here?

7. zegh8578

Mar 11, 2012
    Yeah, I know, slamming a door in someones face is assholish anyway...
    I wont pull out chairs for people tho, anybody :D

8. R.Graves

Apr 21, 2016
    One time I held the the door open for a man and he called me a faggot. :roll:

9. zegh8578

Mar 11, 2012
    sounds like a raging textbook closet homosexual homophobe

10. TorontRayne

TorontRayne Misanthropic God of Fuck Moderator Orderite

Apr 1, 2005
    Should have grabbed him by his dick.

11. Walpknut

Walpknut Testament to the ghoul lifespan

Dec 30, 2010
    Make kissy faces at him, it would probably make him have a fit.

12. Courier

Courier Half-way Through My Half-life
    Orderite

Apr 10, 2011
    This is almost entirely a myth, not a real practice. Women and children are actually historically the most likely to die in shipwrecks, the only exception being the Titanic. A couple of Swedish researchers actually analyzed data from a bunch of the most significant maritime disasters of the past century and found that women are about half as likely to survive a shipwreck as a man is.

https://arstechnica.com/science/201...-and-children-rarely-first-off-sinking-ships/

But yeah as others in this thread have said being infantilized by society is hardly a privilege and has a lot of negative consequences.

• [Like] [Like] x 2
  13. R.Graves

Apr 21, 2016
    That's cuz it's all women on in the lifeboats and women are incompetent buffoons. /s

14. Einhanderc7

Einhanderc7 Vat dipped, grown and still oozing with perfection

Apr 22, 2016
    This is starting to turn in a rather reductive manner.
    Instead of focusing on what women and the feminism movement is doing wrong, why not take this opportunity to try to work the problem productively?

15. Walpknut

Walpknut Testament to the ghoul lifespan

Dec 30, 2010
    R.Graves watched Titanic and got triggered about FEMUL PRIVILEGE!

• [Like] [Like] x 2
  16. Buxbaum666

Buxbaum666 Heterostructured Nanorod oTO Orderite

Dec 5, 2003
    I was about to debunk the "women and children first" thing but it was already taken care of. I would like to add that, in my opinion, any perceived "female privilege" is the logical conclusion of centuries of adherence to traditional gender roles and stereotypes.