The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by Brother None, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    I can say only one thing. After playing Vegas for quit some time switching to Mass Effect 2 ... good animations make a game a few thousand times more awesome. Of course Mass Effect 2 is a tad more modern then Vegas. So no surprise. But still. Bethesda should really try to improve in that field what ever new projects or engines they will use in the future. I cant believe that they still got away with it in Fallout 3 which basicaly had almost the same animations like Oblivion ...

2. TheWesDude

TheWesDude Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Feb 25, 2005
    i keep hearing about limitations of the engine and yet modders do not seem to be limited by those same engine limits.

if someone without source access can make animations that look as smooth as that dance club whereas beth cannot make animations that dont shatter suspension of disbelief...

they are a fucking hack outfit. i dont care what excuses or other bullshit people can come up with to try to make it acceptable.

it is not acceptable at all. there is no excuse.

3. Crni Vuk

Nov 25, 2008
    of course no engine is really limited. But often enough developers either intentionaly or unintentionaly set in "limits" which makes it more difficiult to work with.

For example, you could theoreticaly mod the engine of UT99 or Ut2k3 to use quad core technology BUT you would need quite deep access to the code which is often enough difficuilt because you might end up in problems if you dont own a licence for the engine and you need a lot of skill obviously. It is as well not rare that some engines are better in some areas then others. For example Arma2 has a different focus then the Cryengine or some games are looking rather for a multiplayer experience then singleplayer. Some engines are thus better for moding then others. I am not a professional but I think developers for example can even devlop their engine in a way that it doesnt allow the use of mods. Think about it like tweaking either Windows or a Unix based system like Linux. You will have a hard time tweaking the kernel or critical systems for windows then with linux simply because windows is done in a different way so even smaller changes will cause Windows to not operate anymore while Linux allows the user to change a lot of things without much issues (well if you know what you are doing of course !).

4. Ausir

Ausir Venerable Relic of the Wastes

Apr 20, 2003
    Keep in mind that some of the limitations are also not because of the engine itself but because of console hardware.

5. Bad_Karma

Bad_Karma Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Jun 17, 2007
    You mean the same consoles that run Assassins Creed or GTA, which featured a lot better animations than Fallout 3 ?
    I mean sure you're right the consoles have some limitations but in this case it was more a limitation of not wanting/being allowed to modify the engine so much, and having not enough people on working on animationns.
    Than again Fallout 3 and F:NV got some systems under their hood that neither of my examples features.

6. BReal

BReal First time out of the vault

Jun 29, 2008
    RDR, GTA IV and AC-series have really nice animations. It actually has pretty huge effect on immersion for me. F3 walking looked really fucking retarded (kinda like forced walking?) and the player looked like he was sliding on the ground sometimes.

If we get some new animations in the next Fallout (whenever that's going to come out) I'd be a bit happier with it.

Yes I'm a graphics whore :D

7. sea

sea Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 5, 2009
    I'd say that has to do more with the fact that the engine is terrible at dealing with animations, and that Bethesda's animators kinda suck. Animation is nowhere near as demanding on hardware as other things, and while Bethesda are in a unique position in having to make a highly-detailed open-world shooter, as opposed to a game with a pulled-back camera like Assassin's Creed, I don't think that's enough to justify bad animation, especially considering there is so much code that is just plainly poorly optimised (thread management, asset management systems mostly).

8. Guiltyofbeingtrite

Guiltyofbeingtrite Vault Dweller

Oct 13, 2008
    Yea, +1 for Black Marsh, but they wouldn't do it. I hate cold climates and this extends to video games. I also don't care at all about the Nord, never played as one, never will.

9. TheWesDude

TheWesDude Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Feb 25, 2005
    bullshit excuse. for this to be plausible, no other game for consoles can have better animations. which is very false.

now if you want to counter with its a limitation of the engine on consoles and not the console itself, that may be plausible, but considering the xbox is their primary dev platform, they would have to prove that no other xbox game using the gambryo engine has better animations. and i would want some proof that beths animations are better than any other gambryo engine game on the xbox.

and even then when moving to the PC if they dont use the "fixed" animations it just reinforces my stance that they are a hack job.

which is unacceptable.

i dont play their games on the xbox, i play them on the PC.

10. Faceless Stranger

Faceless Stranger Board Drifter

Aug 19, 2010
    Funny, I always play a Nord :P Also, I think Akavir would've been the most original setting.

11. Lexx

Lexx Background Radiant

Apr 24, 2005
    Always playing a Nord as well, but only because of it's look. Beside this, there is nothing that could hold me in their lands.

I personally find Elsweyr much more interesting. Always imagined it kind of like in Albion with their half-nekked furry cats.

12. Bad_Karma

Bad_Karma Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Jun 17, 2007
    Doesn't Elsweyr consist mainly of desert? *has somehow the memory of the Albion world not consisting of that much desert*.
    That said i doubt Beth would go for 4 breasted cat-women.

13. Verevoof

Verevoof Cryptid oTO Moderator Orderite

Jul 12, 2009
    That's no Khajiit.

14. Crni Vuk

Nov 25, 2008
    But there is a point to it. Also Bethesda I think explained it somewhere that because of this "limitation" working with the TV or something that fonts on PC had to be as big like a schoolbuss. But dont quote me on that. It has been a long time.

What I see right now is that many games get on the PC high texture packs (sometimes a few gigabyte big) and reworks of visuals. How comes they can do those on PC ? The console IS a limited platform from hardware thats cold hard reality. That is as well its advantage. Every Xbox is like the other one. Same for the PS3. You dont keep the hardware of different graphic cards or souncards in mind. What ever if we call that now realy a limitation or not is a different question.

Of course that doesnt excuse the bugy mess, bad animations and glitches Bethesda is throwing out either on PC or Xbox. There you are right. Devs with skills can do amazing things on the consoles. From the visuals that is.

Cats ... it was just a matter of time befor you appear again :D

15. Verevoof

Verevoof Cryptid oTO Moderator Orderite

Jul 12, 2009
    In my day, Khajiit were very much human.

16. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt I should set a custom tit

Oct 28, 2008
    I'm sure you'll get those modded in soon after release :roll:

17. Faceless Stranger

Faceless Stranger Board Drifter

Aug 19, 2010
    I miss the days when Khajiit and Argonians had powerful natural abilities... but were forbidden from wearing boots and closed helms.

18. OakTable

OakTable Vault Senior Citizen

Nov 26, 2009
    i herd you liek scans of Bethesda gaems, NMA, because most of you live in Europe, a place Game Informer fears to go. Have some of the new Skyrim scans. Spoiler tagged to save space/Prevent unplanned rage.

[spoiler:e664a8104c][/spoiler:e664a8104c]

19. Stanislao Moulinsky

Stanislao Moulinsky Vault Fossil

Jul 16, 2009
    So now you can pick Perks in TES too? There will be an Elder Scroll Boy icon?

So...how do the graphics look?