What has Bethesda done now?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Forum' started by Risewild, May 9, 2019.

1. Risewild

Risewild Venerable Relic of the Wastes
    Modder Orderite

Jun 14, 2014
    This is a thread to talk about the latest news about Bethesda Game Studios and Bethesda Softworks.
    This is the place to gather all the good and not so good stuff.

Ok, so I will start by posting a link to an article shared by @Kilus in the Order forums:
    https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019...dventure-taken-down-amid-cries-of-plagiarism/

What that article shows is that Bethesda plagiarized a Wizards of the Coast Dungeons and Dragons adventure written by Paige Leitman and Ben Heisler.

That article shows comparisons between "The Black Road" original 2016 D&D adventure and Bethesda's "Elsweyr" Elder Scrolls Adventure. And it is painfully obvious that it was a copy and paste job, only replacing some words to change it from the Forgotten Realms universe into fitting the Elder Scrolls universe (even the attributes/skill checks are pretty much the same).

Bethesda said that the adventure came from "Bethesda Netherlands". Bethesda already removed the adventure and is now having an internal investigation about it.

This reminds me of the whole debacle with Bethesda's "Brain Dead" quest in the Fallout 4's "Far Harbor" DLC and the "Autumn Leaves" quest mod for Fallout New Vegas. But this latest one is obviously plagiarism and has no defense possible.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  2. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    Yeah, nothing really new. Bethesda loves to get 'inspired' by certain content, particularly modders. I mean, look at how many features in Fallout 4 existed as some kind of modd before it - and often in a better way. Yet, when someone is just using a name like 'Scrolls', they get paranoid and crazy about it.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  3. The Dutch Ghost

The Dutch Ghost Grouchy old man of NMA Moderator

Jan 11, 2004
    The Netherlands has a Bethesda department and my fellow countrymen resort to plagiarism?

Honestly for shame you assholes! That is why Dutch game development is barely taken serious.

4. BigGuyCIA

BigGuyCIA Water Chip? Been There, Done That

Oct 26, 2016
    I didn't know about the Far Harbor rip off. This kind of stuff comes up regularly in Hollywood and nothing happens because nothing can happen. You can't copyright an underlying idea (in this case a vault full of robots in which you solve a murder mystery). Plus the whole being made in Gamebryo Engine or whatever abomination of a tool they call a "kit" adds some more problems.

5. Black Rose

Black Rose Bring me to life

Dec 5, 2018
    Good ol' Bethesda with their all original creations!

6. AureliusofPhoenix

AureliusofPhoenix Centurion

Jun 25, 2018
    Wait hold up; Elsweyr had skill checks?! That right there should’ve told everyone it wasn’t theirs. Bethesda doesn’t make RPGs, the fuck?

• [Rad] [Rad] x 2
  7. Risewild

Modder Orderite

Jun 14, 2014
    And then there are still people coming up with defenses for Bethesda:

8. TheGM

TheGM The voice of reason

Aug 19, 2008
    When it comes to plagiarism what happens the person bringing the case get cash and maybe a writing credit. Harlan Ellison got an out of court settlement from makers of The Terminator for ripping off the episode of Outer Limits he wrote where soldiers from the future travel back in time to the modern era. Right now Star Trek is getting sued because their plot about a couple gay guys using giant tardigrades to travel through space sounds like this one guy's game about a couple gay guys using giant tardigrades to travel through space.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  9. Norzan

Norzan Vault Senior Citizen

Apr 7, 2017
    But telling them not to do it given that this is a game release? I see that there are still Bethestards defending this shit company, even after all the controversies.

Also love the "it's trendy to hate Bethesda". It's trendy to hate them because they have been fucking up royally for a while now. Zealotry is far worse than being critical, because with the former they don't improve, while the latter puts pressure on them to improve.

10. Devastatin' Dave

Devastatin' Dave First time out of the vault

Mar 29, 2019
    I'm glad you mentioned the Far Harbor quest cause that's where my mind immediately jumped after reading about more Bethesda plagiarism. Honestly, if it didn't require more work to make it again but less good, I think we'd be seeing a lot more cribbed from the modding community of Skyrim and Fallout. Like, for example, if The Forgotten City wasn't its own game now, I'm absolutely certain we'd see that in the next Elder Scrolls.

11. Mr Fish

Mr Fish ...I Remember...

Sep 11, 2010
    Well, in regards as to "how are they supposed to know?" what would make sense to me is to just have someone act as a fact checker for the writing, who's job is simply to google paragraphs of the written material and if something pops up that matches it then the writer needs to be evaluated. Bethesda is a massive company, they can afford this kind of employee.

12. Risewild

Modder Orderite

Jun 14, 2014
    If they have people who go around in file hosting sites and send takedown notice to those sites when they find mods/files that they think infringe copyright in any way. Then they should have people just doing a "plagiarism check".

There are tons of free sites and software that can do that, just by pasting the text and pressing a button.

Last edited: May 12, 2019
  13. Hulk'O'Saurus

Hulk'O'Saurus It Wandered In From the Wastes

Jul 10, 2018
    But why it happens to Beth out of all developers out there?... Surely, all great content is inspired by something else, i.e., copies something to an extent.

I dunno, maybe hire people who like doing game design? Beth should be swimming in dough right now, even if 76 is what it is.

14. BigGuyCIA

Oct 26, 2016
    Bethesda has enjoyed a substantial amount of time in the "positive" limelight, so people are not too aware of their transgressions in shameless copy/paste territory. Fallout 3 is basically where it started - it's the Fallout 1 quest for water but OH NO IT'S THE SUPERMUTANTS ENCLAVE.

15. Norzan

Apr 7, 2017
    The earliest trangression Bethesda has made was actually the horse armor DLC debacle. I know that people love to defend this by saying they were testing the waters with the pricing of the DLC, but this is stupid.

What testing is it required to realize that fucking horse armor for 2,50 bucks is absolutely ridiculous? Besides horses being pointless in Oblivion, because fast travel, it's pointless armor for your horse. Some people got a glimpse to the true Bethesda.

16. BigGuyCIA

Oct 26, 2016
    I'm speaking within the context of just blatant copy/paste story-telling. Microtransactions (more like macrotransactions nowadays) are another debacle.

17. Norzan

Apr 7, 2017
    They didn't even copied the plots of the first two games into Fallout 3 correctly. They didn't even know why those two plots even worked on a basic level.

There's copying and then there's copying it wrong.

18. Mr Fish

Mr Fish ...I Remember...

Sep 11, 2010
    Point is that they were just copying other people's work. Be it successful copying or not.

[edit]

But hey, Emil's "I'm a father so I want to shove my newfound experience down your throats with a tutorial of growing up" was at least not copied. And what a great piece of original writing it was. :rolleyes:

19. Risewild

Modder Orderite

Jun 14, 2014
    SHAAAAAUN!

20. Squadcar

Squadcar Water Chip? Been There, Done That

Jun 1, 2018
    They copy Wizards of the Coast, they copy the old Fallout, they copy mods made for previous games, hell they even copy their last game code into the next one.