25 best Fallout New Vegas mods

Some of those mods seem nice, others are pointless or...stupid? Number 10 adds more grass. What? It's a desert after all. Number 11 adds a shack for the player in Goodsprings. Again, what? It's so hard to wait till Novac?

There are over a dozen goodsprings home mods available of new vegas nexus already regardless.

And a bunch of those mods (e.g tag skills add 2 points and getting perks every level) are literally 10 second mods. Load up the geck, change a number, save. It always cracks me up when 'game jernalists' list a chane that I made before even loading the game up for the first time as 'one of the best mods'.

Some of them are a bit "hmm", but some of them are definately good, like ED-E given the Light Step perk. Is weird having a robot that floats above your head setting off beartraps and land mines. I think I'll also grab that "Plausible starting outfit" mod for the next time I'll play.

I was annoyed to see "Better Tag Skills" on the list, the arch rival to my my own "Tag Skills Improved" mod, which is so OBVIOUSLY nine thousand times better. (Haha.) Then I read the description, which sounded like my own mod, so I clicked the link and in fact it led to my own "Tag Skills Improved" mod after all! So yay, thanks PC Gamer!

My Tag Skills Improved mod literally was 5 minutes of work in the GECK, 4 minutes of which were finding the right thing to edit. I upped the Tag bonus from 15 to 25. Your character is supposed to be an experienced courier who already has some life experiences, so your Tag skills should be the things you are already competent at, and I felt a little boost of 10 points was enough to represent that, and makes things a little easier for the first hour or two of gameplay, without being overpowered in the long run. It was nice to see that PC Gamer seems to have picked the mod because they actually understood that rationale.

As I mentioned there is another mod, Better Tag Skills, where any skill points invested in a Tag skills are worth double, like in Fallout 1 and 2. While nice and nostalgic, over the course of the game it effectively gives the player a hundred or so skill points they would not have had otherwise, which I feel rather breaks the gameplay balance. So yeah, kudos to PC Gamer for picking my mod rather than that one, haha.

PainlessDocM said:
No nude mods?!

Its so darn hard to decide on wich is the best one. And if you do, theres an almighty din about titties, fat and hair and of how much of each there should be....

It has to be a brave ma.. person to rate nudemods. Better to let it lie. :)

Don't forget the scantily clad 12 year old Japanese manga child mod. It's all the rage for the slightly insane.

I'm not gonna take sides here. For once, couldn't we just play the game?

I mean seriously, come on. The whole point is to have fun.

Time for another important public service announcement:

Don't feed the Yaoi Guai! That is all.

I've been waiting for FWE. That was my #1 favorite mod from Fallout 3. Until then, I've been downloading a bunch of little ones to like XP and barter scaling. Fellout is pretty nice looking, along with the depth of field mod(I hate seeing rigid lines on the horizon). Darnified's UI is sexy if you don't already have it for New Vegas. It's kinda tricky to find since he doesn't seem to like to upload his stuff to the nexus.

The Dutch Ghost said:
Like others said before, there is no point in playing on after you have finished the final quest.

The only expansion I could think of would be transporting you somewhere else suddenly after the game but that is way to big for a DLC.

Ok, main quest wise... the game is over.
So? Is it all about the main quest? Not really, there's really way more to it than just that story.
I'm fine with the game not changing content according to the ending. Maybe I don't care that much about who or what anyway.

Why does it have to be so arbitrary on you to stop playing after that?
Ok, you feel you're done with it? Just stop playing... but allow me to continue for as long as I wish.

Rant over... anyhow.... there's a mod allowing play after the final battle. Also one that removes the inane level 30 cap....

Vrede said:
I'm fine with the game not changing content according to the ending. Maybe I don't care that much about who or what anyway.

So you'd rather a game that allowed only insignificant changes to result from your actions?

Rant over... anyhow.... there's a mod allowing play after the final battle. Also one that removes the inane level 30 cap....

Fallout is about mutual exclusivity and choice. Notice how plot choices cut off certain quest avenues? That's by design and directly an outgrowth of this design tenant. The level cap likewise flows from this train of thought.

Vrede said:
Also one that removes the inane level 30 cap....

Heh. Yeah, let's get all the skills to 100/100. :roll:
I know I sound like an douche when I'm like, "Rah rah, not enough challenge" but really.. I'd be all for raising the cap to level 50, but not at the rate you get those skill points and perks. Fallout 1 and 2 had it right - make it practically impossible to reach the cap, but skills don't stop at 100 but rather eat up additional points after 100. Hell, a skill cap of 200(300 was excessive)? Make the player play through a couple of times to get all of the skill check goodies? Fuck yeah.
At least New Vegas had a decent amount of skill checks, but the magazines and general lack of importance when determining allocation of S.P.E.C.I.A.L. stats and skills kinda killed it.

Yeah, what we need is either upping the skill cap, or reducing the number of skill pts per level. It's not even so much that the character is overpowered when you max everything out, or that there's "not enough challenge", it's more that the game feels really boring once you reach the goal that you set for your character when you create him/her. There's pretty much nothing to upgrade past level 16 or so, and most of the perks aren't even that great either.

totally uncapping would be bad but I'd like a mod that switched it to a soft level cap

maybe increase xp requirements overall by 50% then you have to increase your total xp by 50% each level after 30

Experience Level Adjust Mod is my favourite. I usually go for the slowest level gain possible, or the one just above that. It makes the whole journey feel more low-key, and causes the progression to feel like it matters more. If only all the skill checks (and locks, computer terminals...) would have less static numbers to check for, the balance would be better as well.

Makagulfazel said:
Vrede said:
Also one that removes the inane level 30 cap....

Fallout 1 and 2 had it right ....

Indeed they did bro'

Ausdoerrt said:
So? Is it all about the main quest?

Well... there's a reason as to why it's called 'main quest' you know, because the game is focused on it....

What makes a game into a game? The main quest ONLY?
It would not be called a game, it would be called a ... quest.

Anarchosyn said:
So you'd rather a game that allowed only insignificant changes to result from your actions?

No, I said I don't care about it that much.... of course it's great to have that sort of thing.

Anarchosyn said:
Vrede said:

Fallout is about mutual exclusivity and choice. Notice how plot choices cut off certain quest avenues? That's by design and directly an outgrowth of this design tenant. The level cap likewise flows from this train of thought.

In choosing a path of action... yes it is. But the level cap IS NOT flowing out of anything.
It's just flowing out of Oblivion hehe.

You know when I reached lv. 30? I wasn't even done with Primm yet.
Basically took out all the fun ... but thank the Lord for modders... great dudes really....

6337-2-1242272670.jpg

haha, so sad

Back