Blast from the past: june 1996 project GURPS preview

Brother None

This ghoul has seen it all
Orderite
PCXL-Fan, an avid collector of videogame magazines, registered to share with us an old preview of project GURPS in the now-defunct NG magazine. In it, they discuss Steve Jackson's GURPS and Tim Cain explains what he wants to do with it in the game. It includes a short mention of one of the original setting ideas for project GURPS (time-travelling) and a very broad application of GURPS' massive skill system to the game.

<center> </center>

Ausir said:
In it, they discuss Peter Jackson's GURPS

And Steve Jackson's Lord of the Rings?

That actually got me thinking for a few seconds. The guy's intellectual spectra would have been truly amazing... :roll:

Silencer said:
Oh no, scans! We're so banned1!

Oh yeah. Lulz.

12-year old scans from a defunct magazine...total crime against humanity :mrgreen:

Also, this does rock indeed. Provides some new quotes for history of Fallout, too.

But other than that: cue Sorrow saying "Fallout died when they lost GURPS"

I'm sad that the "Color Blind" Trait did not make it into the final product. That would have made my sniper characters so fuxing awesome.

This is one of those nolstagic moments that depresses the soul, and makes one stand in awe, staring at the sky, as if to realize that the world is on a downward spiral towards the apocalypse, from remembering what was, what wasn't, and what is now.

Wow, that was really cool to read. Thanks for posting it!

I personally don't mind the fact that GURPS was dumped for SPECIAL. Really, I didn't play role playing games much (or at all) before Fallout, so I wouldn't have known what GURPS was anyway. And, while I recognize that it does have some flaws, I actually rather like SPECIAL.

The article did make me think about the end product that became the Fallout we love so much. Aside from making me want to sit down and play F1 or F2 a bit, it also made me sad that more CRPGs using SPECIAL were never made.

Nice article, love the clay heads. Don't recall seeing pictures of them before (not that I looked, mind).

Hope someone kept them, be a shame if they got binned.

Nim82 said:
Nice article, love the clay heads. Don't recall seeing pictures of them before (not that I looked, mind).

Hope someone kept them, be a shame if they got binned.

Here, here, and here. Interview with the guy who made them here (I think he's also the guy you see on the third page of this article).

I think Interplay still has 'em, but I guess they could've shipped to Bethesda.

MrBumble said:
Can't wait to see Bethesda's take on Deathclaws. I foresee epic lulz.

Probably something like this.

rakdos-demon-lord.jpg

Plenty of inspiration for deathclaws

deathclaw12.jpg

Or y'know. This

You know how Bethesda is...loves to mix and match with genres and setting. Blend, baby, blend.

Back