Canard PC Fallout: New Vegas preview

Hopefully, the other quests are as deep as this one. Gotta' say, FNV seems to keep getting better and better every day :D

This is exactly the sort of thing I'd been hoping for. With Obsidan not having to worry much about building the mechanics of the game, 80% of the work could be invested in the story and quests.

(When Obsidian have to make all the gameplay themselves from scratch you end up with something like Alpha Protocol. No worries that's going to happen this time.)

I had no objection to Bethesda making Fallout into a first person shooter, I didn't have any particular affection for the old isometric perspective. Unfortunately, when it came to the shooting mechanics and post-apocalpytic survival Fallout 3 was inferior to games like STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl, and when it came to the story and quests and roleplaying choices it was vastly inferior to the prior Fallout games or to other FPS RPG games like Deus Ex.

Now Obsidian are showing how to do the game right. :) Quests with a plethora of choices and options and outcomes, and solid FPS combat mechanics like ironsights and moddable weapons.

I'm going to be cynical. *shock and awe*

What if this "good news" is a bad thing? Most of you have admitted to getting hyped because of it. What if, somehow, New Vegas lets us down? Wouldn't we be even more upset because we were hyped? I say Obsidian stops the information sharing and lets us wait the last 27 days. Sure, I'm looking forward to the game but I'm not going to go around claiming "This game will be great!" because of the off chance it won't be. I've been let down by hype before :[

Dear God, I'm starting to understand Alec. He's a god at cynicism, truly, but this little bit of taste has given me a chance to really understand the man behind the steaming fury.

I hope Fallout New Vegas will have some interesting Vaults, like Vault 112 in Fallout 3 or weird side quests like The Superhuman Gambit or the unmarked quest in Andale, one of my friends stopped playing the game because of it!!! Said it was too creepy :shock:

Expresate said:

What if this "good news" is a bad thing? Most of you have admitted to getting hyped because of it. What if, somehow, New Vegas lets us down? Wouldn't we be even more upset because we were hyped? I say Obsidian stops the information sharing and lets us wait the last 27 days. Sure, I'm looking forward to the game but I'm not going to go around claiming "This game will be great!" because of the off chance it won't be. I've been let down by hype before :[

Dear God, I'm starting to understand Alec.

meh. not sure about you but i'm just going to play the goddamn game. i'm optimistic, but god forbid the game lets me down, oh well. it can't be worse than FO3 for one thing, for another...hasn't a band you liked released a disappointing album before? did it really throw that much of a wrench in yr life? ffs it's a goddamn videogame. if it's good (or really good?) we win. if it sucks, we're in the same exact boat we've been in since Tactics. so what.

TwinkieGorilla said:
Expresate said:

Dear God, I'm starting to understand Alec.

meh. not sure about you but i'm just going to play the goddamn game. i'm optimistic, but god forbid the game lets me down, oh well. it can't be worse than FO3 for one thing, for another...hasn't a band you liked released a disappointing album before? did it really throw that much of a wrench in yr life? ffs it's a goddamn videogame. if it's good (or really good?) we win. if it sucks, we're in the same exact boat we've been in since Tactics. so what.

I'm optimistic, too. Sure, I had another game disappoint me a while back and life moved on. All I'm saying is it would be a little better if we went into New Vegas not expecting best game ever so any tiny little disappointments aren't given much though. Sure it won't stop your life but disappointments are still disappointments. Wouldn't be fun to find out that New Vegas is crap while Alec sits back on a beach somewhere saying "I told you so."

I don't honestly think New Vegas will flop. Especially because of these previews. I just don't want to be that surprised it did if it does. Maybe it's just a personal thing. I'm not telling you to be cynical.

people like alec would hate this game regardless of whether or not its good or bad. he's already gone on record saying that basically anything beyond Arcanum and Fallout aren't worth his time. not exactly somebody i'd look to for a fair and critical judgment.

aside from the crazy nitpicking nerdrage crowd, most people disappointed by FO3 are likely going to have a better time with this game. how much better i suppose is up to Obsidian and peoples' personal taste. again, most of what i've seen and heard so far sounds great to me. if it's not? oh well. seriously, not a big deal and not the sort of thing one needs to be maudlin about and "prepare" yourself for.

Starwars said:
Shut your whining mouths and have some New Vegas cake: http://yfrog.com/nfwosbj

8-)
That is fantastic.

TwinkieGorilla said:
people like alec would hate this game regardless of whether or not its good or bad. he's already gone on record saying that basically anything beyond Arcanum and Fallout aren't worth his time. not exactly somebody i'd look to for a fair and critical judgment.

aside from the crazy nitpicking nerdrage crowd, most people disappointed by FO3 are likely going to have a better time with this game. how much better i suppose is up to Obsidian and peoples' personal taste. again, most of what i've seen and heard so far sounds great to me. if it's not? oh well. seriously, not a big deal and not the sort of thing one needs to be maudlin about and "prepare" yourself for.

True enough.

bhlaab said:
wait ghouls can survive in outer space now?
Not likely. They are fanatics under the sway of a delusional leader, I wouldn't take their space exploration or "alternate plane of existence" too seriously.

Brother None said:
We'll edit in your stuff over the current post (hope Thrud doesn't mind) when you're done, aight?

Not at all !

bhlaab said:
wait ghouls can survive in outer space now?

Didn't get that part of the review well, but it is said that the final goal of the cultists is suicide.

The only ghoul place I've heard of has suicide as a final goal? :(
I like ghouls... I don't want them to die...

Didn't one of the trailers show a scene with rocket ships flying randomly and crashing...somehow I doubt the ghouls make it into space.

Back