Fallout 2 mod Change skill books to give a fixed amount of bonus

NovaRain

Casual Modder
Modder
A simple mod that changes all skill books to increase skills by a fixed amount, and they can still increase skills when it's over 91%. Basically it recreates the "obj_use_books" engine function with skill increment logic changed.

By default reading a book gives +5% to a skill (+6% if it's tagged), +8% with the Comprehension perk.
This mod only covers 5 vanilla books, feel free to modify the included script source to extend it.

EDIT: updated the calculation to be not too biased for tagged skills.

Attachments

Last edited:
A simple mod that changes all skill books to increase skills by a fixed amount, and they can still increase skills when it's over 91%. Basically it recreates the "obj_use_books" engine function with skill increment logic changed.

By default reading a book gives +5% to a skill (+6% if it's tagged), +8% with the Comprehension perk.
This mod only covers 5 vanilla books, feel free to modify the included script source to extend it.

EDIT: updated the calculation to be not too biased for tagged skills.

@NovaRain
While at the topic of skillbooks and removing the skill increase cap, could you make this mod a bit more universal?

I mean now that the skillbooks have no cap, One would like his party members to read too. I mean party members could learn how to hone their skills better if they read books on that matter.
This could be done via using the backpack icon from the right click menu on the npc and selecting the correct book. Time would pass based on their intelligence, and it would be them who recive skill bonuses this way. i mean sulik, lenny or myron would certainly shoot better after reading those guns and bullets magazines. all of them would benefit from higher first aid skill when using "you should heal yourself" option and going "i'm clean" or without stimpacks. with sfall5 they could also use first aid and repair instead of the player, if they have higher skill level than the player. but mainly there are npcs out there who still lack small guns proficiency, even on the highest level. this small change could fix that.
and this if it was a global script would benefit most of the other TC fo2 engine games. EtTu, Resurrection, Last Hope, and possibly others out there.

@NovaRain
While at the topic of skillbooks and removing the skill increase cap, could you make this mod a bit more universal?

I mean now that the skillbooks have no cap, One would like his party members to read too. I mean party members could learn how to hone their skills better if they read books on that matter.
This could be done via using the backpack icon from the right click menu on the npc and selecting the correct book. Time would pass based on their intelligence, and it would be them who recive skill bonuses this way. i mean sulik, lenny or myron would certainly shoot better after reading those guns and bullets magazines. all of them would benefit from higher first aid skill when using "you should heal yourself" option and going "i'm clean" or without stimpacks. with sfall5 they could also use first aid and repair instead of the player, if they have higher skill level than the player. but mainly there are npcs out there who still lack small guns proficiency, even on the highest level. this small change could fix that.
and this if it was a global script would benefit most of the other TC fo2 engine games. EtTu, Resurrection, Last Hope, and possibly others out there.

Good idea, I like it!
I will make this mod. Unless no one has done it yet :)

Good idea, I like it!
I will make this mod. Unless no one has done it yet :)

Yeah finally someone who's interested...

as for "unless no one some one has done it yet already"..

I'm fairly certain You are the first person, (besides me), that actually thinks this such mod would be cool..

Phobos2077 has already said "no!!!" in another thread. He also got a like under that post from NovaRain as far as I remember, so I guess we're on our own in this.
So I hope You can manage to come up with a solution..
Not gonna lie, I rarely got time to sit and play recently, temps are like 32C in the shade on regular basis recently, hard to freaking breathe not to mention my pc..

And in addition my pops bought some newer wheels, and all family has to take care of all the paperwork for him. And as extra I'm trying to scrap up time for realisation of a side project of mine, that i was working nearly all my life on, and recently plans have been completed, and now requires only construction & testing, however those damn local companies are charging an arm and leg for anything that is imported from abroad, not to mention their minimum order quantity is far more than i can ever make use off, and more often than not they don't have the right parts on stock.

Last edited:
Not gonna lie, I rarely got time to sit and play recently, temps are like 32C in the shade on regular basis recently, hard to freaking breathe not to mention my pc..
I feel you man, the heat is unbearable. In my region, the temperature finally dropped from 36°C to 20°C, and I was finally able to start functioning normally.

And in addition my pops bought some newer wheels, and all family has to take care of all the paperwork for him. And as extra I'm trying to scrap up time for realisation of a side project of mine, that i was working nearly all my life on, and recently plans have been completed, and now requires only construction & testing, however those damn local companies are charging an arm and leg for anything that is imported from abroad, not to mention their minimum order quantity is far more than i can ever make use off, and more often than not they don't have the right parts on stock.
First things first, things in real life, and only then entertainment, especially in the form of ancient single games )

As usual, I really wanted to add more settings, so I was writing and testing this mod for almost 3 days, although I thought that Friday evening and half of Saturday would be enough for me, but I miscalculated.
In any case, you can see the description of the result here and download it here.

Back