Converted Mark Morgan Vault Archives to ACM

Drobovik

Vault Archivarius
Modder
Mark Morgan 'Vault Archives' - Remastered Fallout & Fallout 2 Soundtrack in acm format to use in the game. High quality music pack based on 320br mp3 release.

Instructions

Just unpack these acm music files into your F1 or F2 DATA\SOUND\MUSIC folder replacing the originals.

That's it. Enjoy!

Works perfectly with RP. Bonus track 07desert.acm plays at restored Rangers safe houses, sounds great!

What'd you mean? Which one?
Maybe you should re-download it. Mine extracts fine with 7-zip.

Hi Drobovik,
at the beginning of each track I can hear loud popping noise. Can you fix it, please?

EDIT - And there is no transition between tracks

Last edited:
Stupid question perhaps; these tracks are already in game, so why would we need to put them in again? Do you mean they will sound better in-game because the Vault release is higher quality? Thanks.

[I do know the Vault release is higher quality, I'm just not sure if it would even be detectible in-game]

JaW, I'm sorry about the poping and transition thing, but unfortinately I'm not a music expert and don't know how to fix it. But for somebody even semi-knowledgable I'm sure it's an easy fix. Or maybe wav-acm converter is to blame.
Know any audio experts?:wink:
Sduibek, It is quite detectable that the quality is way better. Richer music, I would say. You should check it out.

I hope that someone will fix it. It sounds ok in original. Something had to happen during file converting.

I can give it a try, I know how to edit sound files. Just need to check if I still have original mp3's...
OK, I checked the remastered version. In original, all songs were separate, each started and ended with silence. In remastered version, all songs kind of merged together in non-stop play (next starts before this one ends). I may try to add fade in/fade out to all tracks, but difference will still be noticable (it may sound not quite like the original). Do you think it worth it?

Last edited:
I can give it a try, I know how to edit sound files. Just need to check if I still have original mp3's...
OK, I checked the remastered version. In original, all songs were separate, each started and ended with silence. In remastered version, all songs kind of merged together in non-stop play (next starts before this one ends). I may try to add fade in/fade out to all tracks, but difference will still be noticable (it may sound not quite like the original). Do you think it worth it?

Thanks for looking into this, just want to add my minimal expertise: I used years ago successfully http://www.mptrim.com/ for lossless adding/removing of fade-in and out into MP3s. (there is also a free version available). I read over at hydrogenaudio that http://mpesch3.de1.cc/mp3dc.html is also working lossless (and is free) but I never used it myself.

I use audiacity for audio editing, it have all features I need.
To the subject: I know why you have this clicking sound at start of each song, most likely it's a b-product of MP3->WAV->ACM convertion, WAV header (metadata threated as sound by converter program, thus making this noize).
About the sound itself, I'm not sure if remastered version sounds better. It easily can be a placebo effect, because sound in these MP3's is simply louder about 5-7db than original ACM music. Also original music sample rate is 22050Hz. If there is a way to create 44100Hz ACM music that the game will read, it may create a suffucient effect for a user (only with better soundcard/headphones/etc.).

I can confirm that using tools available, it is not possible to make 44100Hz stereo ACM file (just tried it using snd2wav, in game music plays 2 times slower :(). I can convert all Vault Archive remastered files properly (add fadein/fadeout, reduce sound level, remove clicking), but not sure if it will be worth it.

Back