Dead Space 1/2

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by Surf Solar, Mar 25, 2010.

1. maximaz

maximaz Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Apr 2, 2006
    I just finished this game and quite liked it. Parts of it were dumb, some gameplay sequences were annoying, I didn't like the story much and it wasn't very scary but I always wanted a decent Aliens type survival experience and this game certainly delivered that.

BTW, I thought it was common knowledge that PC controls for this game sucked?

2. Multidirectional

Multidirectional Mildly Dipped

Sep 12, 2008
    Not to me, I still don't know what's so bad about them, unless you use in game v. sync. I can't imagine how controls could be better on a console with gamepad.

3. Ravager69

Ravager69 Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Dec 21, 2007
    I just hope Dead Space 2 will be playable. The first one was so horribly boring I never bothered to play it for long. Uninteresting gameplay coped with loads of cliche flicks killed the game for me.

Besides, after a time it went into shooting festival with 15 monsters attacking you at the same time. Dead Space 2 needs more thought put into gameplay. Less enemies, less uber-weapons and more *atmosphere*, instead of random scares.

4. Hoxie

Hoxie King Queer oTO Orderite

May 19, 2008
    Agreed, jump-scares are not fun, they don't make atmosphere, they're just boring. Which jump-scares was about all I found most of the time. That and I have to agree on the weapons, when even the very first weapon can clear the whole game, with next to no problems, it just feels a bit cheap.

5. GuYem

GuYem First time out of the vault

Nov 2, 2008
    Dead Space sure has a great atmosphere. Unfortunately, the "push-the-button-makes-monsters-appear" gameplay kills it in my opinion.

6. Demonslayer

Demonslayer Water Chip? Been There, Done That

Aug 8, 2005
    Meh, i kinda.. liked it.
    Ok that the story aint *that* good, a bit cliché and all, and the controls where a bit "clumsy" but i wouldn't expect less from hanging around in the space with a magnetic suit. Overall i enjoyed the game; liked the persue for the players lover, the messing with our minds, the easter eggs (such as the first letter in each chapter), the hidden messages in other language.

Bottom line the game had potential, the only thing lacking was actually the story. As for the gameplay/controls, i didn't think them as an issue, really.

I'll just say what i've posted before on other forums:

Impressions on RE5
    On what RE i liked the most:
    As for the game who marked me in fear was probably Silent Hill, because it's more of a psychology fear, not really many enemies, but the dark and not being able to see most of the scenario, makes it creepy. Also the first time i played it i had 13 years old or something.

7. Jet1337

Jet1337 It Wandered In From the Wastes

Aug 27, 2009
    I beat this game and got all the achievements. It was great. Can't wait for the second.

8. Ravager69

Ravager69 Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Dec 21, 2007
    Heh, achievements are a part of what kills the atmosphere for me. I mean, aren't you simply suppose to survive, instead of trying to kill 3 enemies with the same rocket or some other bullshit?

9. Jet1337

Aug 27, 2009
    I worry about achievements after the first playthrough.

I play videogames for two things; to enjoy them and to show my accomplishments.

You can say that you've beaten the game on the hardest difficulty, but I have the achievement to prove that. What do you have? Have a good time running fraps without the game chugging like a fat man. xD

10. .Pixote.

.Pixote. Antediluvian as Feck
    Modder

Sep 14, 2009
    Why does anyone have to prove themselves when playing a game...just play and enjoy, screw trying to impress someone with your skills…otherwise you might turn into this

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL90fCgOrcE[/youtube]

11. Jet1337

Aug 27, 2009
    LOL. I play Halo 3 on a regular basis and I'm over that screaming retard shit.

I like getting challenging achievements because it feels good to have people tell me that it's badass. I actually have a friend who thinks I'm an RPG prodigy because I have all the achievements in Fallout 3 and Borderlands! xD

I like to enjoy videogames, but the fact is that I'm gonna be playing them until the day I die. When that day comes, what do I have to show? What about the progress i made? This is why I refuse to play MMO's because some day the server shuts down and all my hard work goes with it.

12. Jeremiah

Jeremiah First time out of the vault

Jun 5, 2010
    I haven't played Deep Space but I'm considering buying it to my PS3.

I used to play Thief 2 and it scared me at times. The character is pretty weak in combat and you're supposed to sneak past your enemies (zombies and the like, though not as much as in part 1 of the game, which I haven't played).

Even Fallout 3 scares me a little sometimes. I hate bugs so being attacked by giant scorpions and ants is pretty unpleasant. And the atmosphere in the game is generally fairly dark, with destruction, desperation and desolation everywhere etc. I like that.

13. Jay Null

Jay Null First time out of the vault

Jun 9, 2010
    The same thing that you'd have when what-ever-entity holding your gaming achievements is destroyed, Jet.

Admittedly this is the first time I can recall anyone suggesting that in-game achievements are a method to validate one's existence and explain the choices one makes for their entertainment . . .

"Why'd you collect 0xA478 rusty cans in Fallout 3?"

"To prove to you that I COULD!"

"But it took you two weeks . . . "

"Two weeks that I didn't have to see you!"

Herp durp.

/Fail-Troll

Edit:

To actually stay on topic, I suppose . . . least the admins threaten strikes . . .
    As a newer survival-horror for the PC, is this game worth looking into? Or are there those that do it better (even if the graphics may not be as grand)?

14. SharkClub

SharkClub Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Dec 6, 2008
    Didn't take long for this thread to derail into RE discussion. :)

On the subject of RE: I loved the original Resident Evil (also bought the DS version for car trips and such), by the way, I bought the REmake re-release for my Wii last year but never got really far in it because of the damn Crimson Heads. It was really damn hard for me, guess I was just away from RE for too long to remember how to play it properly, though I'll probably get around to it eventually.

I played Dead Space a while back and was considering getting Extraction, but then I figured I had more important things to buy. I don't like how Dead Space 2 is sounding though, EA make it sound like they're going all Resident Evil 4/5 on it, with a more action-packed theme.