Eight years later, I think I can relate to you guys now

ManWithNoName

It Wandered In From the Wastes
Created my account almost eight years ago now. Doubt I left an impression on anyone. I was thirteen maybe and with that comes with saying a lot of dumb things. At first I thought you guys were just a bunch of assholes, and to be fair plenty of you are. But you were right too. Fallout had been bastardized past the point of recognition for you all. Bethesda didn't care about Fallout fans. I didn't understand at the time but in the eight years since I've seen some of my favorite franchises go down similar paths. I can't match the hate you all have for Bethesda and the new games but I do feel a closeness to you all now that I didn't then.

I didn't stay too long. About two years maybe. Got my ass kicked in a few of the site's Fantasy Football leagues. Even had some messages from guys looking to trade that I'd never checked. I doubt anyone would call Darren Mcfadden and Matt Forte top 5 backs today. I'm guessing the site has changed a lot since then. I haven't spent too much time catching up on things but I would be surprised if you still didn't get the occasional Bethesda fan who uses the same tired talking points to defend the games. You can take solace in this, it'll happen to them too. They'll grow older and all the games they loved growing up will change. They won't be the games they once played anyone. They'll be someone else's. Maybe they even feel the same closeness that I feel now.

You guys are the last holdouts. It gives me hope to see this site still here. I don't think Fallout will ever return to its isometric roots but I know if it does you guys will still be here. Here's to all our favorite franchises returning to capable hands or mercifully staying dead.

You can take solace in this, it'll happen to them too. They'll grow older and all the games they loved growing up will change.
I have noticed this happening after a few years of the Fallout 3 release. I even mentioned it a few times.
I have never seen a Fallout New Vegas and/or a classic Fallout fan change their minds with time and start liking Fallout 3 or Fallout 4 more than the classics or FNV. But I have seen over the years many people who preferred Fallout 3 and now Fallout 4 to the classics and/or FNV, change their minds and start to like them more than the Bethesda games.
It's only natural when we think about it. Bethesda makes games to appeal to those that want action, no restrictions and instant gratification, but the classics and FNV are made for mature people, people who prefer a good story, real consequences, dealing with ethics and morals, different ways of accomplishing stuff, etc. It requires a mature mind.
How does it feel to have lived long enough to see every franchise you love go down in flames?
It makes me feel... hollow. My favorite gaming franchises all went down in flames now.

Last edited:
Created my account almost eight years ago now. Doubt I left an impression on anyone. I was thirteen maybe and with that comes with saying a lot of dumb things. At first I thought you guys were just a bunch of assholes, and to be fair plenty of you are. But you were right too. Fallout had been bastardized past the point of recognition for you all. Bethesda didn't care about Fallout fans. I didn't understand at the time but in the eight years since I've seen some of my favorite franchises go down similar paths. I can't match the hate you all have for Bethesda and the new games but I do feel a closeness to you all now that I didn't then.

Oh my god, I can relate to this. I never made an account here, but does anybody remember The Vault? I would argue with people in chat that Fallout 2 sucked because the turn-based combat was too slow paced compared to Tactics and Fallout 3. (This was pre-New Vegas.)

Anyway, I still have hope that regardless of what happens to the Fallout series in name, the spirit and design philosophies that made it so good in the first place will resonate with future game developers and live on.

How does it feel to have lived long enough to see every franchise you love go down in flames?
Only franchises I love that haven't either mutated beyond recognition or gone on indefinite hiatuses are new franchises.
Basically, anything I loved as a child or teenager is dead to me at this point.
I'm done with being bitter about it though. It's time to move on and look towards new franchises and IP's.
I still hate what they are doing with what I used to love but I can't muster the passion to complain about it anymore.

Part of me feels like why even bother with "franchises" at all when they all fall victim to the same treatment?
It'd almost be better to just enjoy the first installment and then ignore whatever comes after.

Not great. Every developer seems to make the same mistake. Eventually they all try to appeal to the casual gamer or a wider audience and it just doesn't lead to a good game.

Not great. Every developer seems to make the same mistake. Eventually they all try to appeal to the casual gamer or a wider audience and it just doesn't lead to a good game.
Well one time it did. Literally once. Resident evil 4.
But I don't just mean video games.
Look at star wars, Indiana Jones, star trek, the walking dead, terminator, or even something as terrible as wrong turn has been made worse. All these people looking forward to fallout 5 or the next star wars and I'm sitting here like
giphy.gif

Well one time it did. Literally once. Resident evil 4.
But I don't just mean video games.
Look at star wars, Indiana Jones, star trek, the walking dead, terminator, or even something as terrible as wrong turn has been made worse. All these people looking forward to fallout 5 or the next star wars and I'm sitting here like View attachment 10162
True. I was talking specifically about video games but you're right, it's the case across a lot of mediums.

That TMNT comparison is spot on.

I don't know many people who are aware of the fact that TMNT wasn't always this kids cartoon. Yet most of them (me included) remember that cartoon fondly, and dislike some later iterations.
But time passes and people forget. Fans of the old TMNT remember them fondly, but number of those people is lesser and lesser everyday. It will be forgotten.

Same goes for Fallout, or any other older franchise. Original Fallout games are basically forgotten by majority of people, and as time passes there will be no one who remembers them. No NMA. No Codex or anything similar. You will have people who will remember Fallout 3 and Fallout 4 as games that made their childhood/adulthood or whatever period of life feel all that richer.
And then those same people will dislike hypothetical Fallout 7, until 3 and 4 are forgotten, until Bethesda loses rights or bankrupts or gaming as we know become obsolete.

People remember, people forget. Cycle goes anew. Nothing new under the sun.

That TMNT comparison is spot on.

I don't know many people who are aware of the fact that TMNT wasn't always this kids cartoon.

I 'member
20180409_204748.jpg

Also not everything will be forgotten. There's plenty of people like myself that like old things. I love finding enjoyment in old stuff. Or maybe I'm just a faggy hipster idk.

Last edited:
Back