Explain to me game mechanic.

zaopatrzeniowiec

First time out of the vault
1. Sniper
You have mastered the firearm as a source of pain. With this Perk, any successful hit in combat with a ranged weapon will be upgraded to a critical hit if you also make a Luck roll.

What it means? Without this perk I`ll also can reach critical if make a Luck roll. So what it changes? How it is better?

2. Slayer
The Slayer walks the earth! In hand-to-hand combat all of your hits are upgraded to critical hits, causing destruction and mayhem.

It means that high Luck, Finesse perk, and more often criticals perk will be useless? Coz i dont need chritical chance for melee if any hit will be a crit.

3. Stonewall
You are much less likely to be knocked down in combat.

What percentage is it that reduce risk of begin knocked?

4. Sharpshooter
You have a talent for hitting things at longer distances. For each level of this Perk, you get a +2 bonus to your Perception for the purposes of determining range modifiers. It's easier than ever to kill at long range!

What distance exackly we are talking about? Half of weapon range?

5. Flower Child
With this Perk, you are less likely to be addicted to chems (50% less likely, actually), and you suffer half the withdrawal time of a normal person.

Chem Resistant
Chems only affect you half as long as normal, but your chance to be addicted is also only 50% of normal.

Are they stack? Resistance will reach 100%?

6. Sequence
How it works in mechanic vs oponents?
High rating of it will be useful in battle? If i choose Kamikaze, hight Perception and Earlier Sequence perk this grant me a additional turn betwen enemy rounds? Will I have my turns betwen rounds of enemies instead to wait for all of them to make rounds of thier own?

7. Critical
From what is born a critical value? It is multiply from weapon damage? x2, x3 or 150%? Various weapons have various criticals?
Is a critical granted for shoots or bullets? Minigun will have critical for all his bullets or it has bigger multiply?

8. Hit chance vs Armor class
How it works? Is there a base value of hit chance that is multiply by for example 160% unarmed skill? Then i have for example 20*160%=32hit vs 40ac? And whats next? How to make a percentage from it?
Or 160%-40ac=120% hit chance that is reduced to 95%?

9. Percepcion
How it make a percepcion tests for various reasons like sneak detection or seeing a hidden spots? If I have 6 PE then i have 60% in evry second to spot something or it is a limit that i cannot see anything that need 7 PE or more?
It is possible to on 300% sneak and appropriate perks to stealth assasinate every single one person in Navarro?

10. Damage reduction
There is two values for damage reduction.
Damage resistance form character window for example 10%
Damage resistance from inventory window for example normal, laser, plasma 15

Is it like that:
From 40 damage a armor will reduce a 15 points and then 10% makes it 40-15=25-10%=22?
Or 40-10%=36-15=21?
Is a phrase 'take no damage' is from 17 dmg - 20% reduction = 13 - 15 reductioni = 0 harm?

Sniper: Your base critical chance is 1% per point of Luck. Sniper essentially gives you a 10% chance per point of Luck, which is much better.

Slayer: Every melee hit is an automatic critical. If you're planning to get this, don't bother with other critical-boosting traits/perks.

Stonewall: 50% chance to avoid being knocked down. It looks like this only works against melee attacks, and doesn't protect against critical hits.

Sharpshooter: Any ranged attack has some to-hit modifier, based on the attacker's Perception, distance to the target, perks, and other factors. This perk improves that modifier slightly.

Chem Resistant + Flower Child: These are handled separately, so having both will give you 1/4 the normal addiction chance.

Sequence determines what order critters act in during each turn. Everyone gets to act exactly once per turn (unless they lost it due to a critical hit/failure), no matter how high or low their sequence is.

Critical hit effects vary depending on critter type and location targeted; see here for all the gory details.

Armor class is subtracted from the calculated chance to hit.

Trap detection is done by script, a perception check with modifiers for difficulty and distance. Most have a -4 perception modifier, so you need at least 5 to have a chance of seeing them. I think scripts are checked every 10 seconds. No idea how sneaking is handled, but at 300% you're just about invisible.

Damage threshold appears to be applied first, then damage resistance. The character window only shows normal damage resistance.

Knight Captain Kerr said:
Actually the answers to all those questions can be found at the vault.

Not true. Wiki contains only same or shorted description as game so where from you get that opinion? Can you point this? I see no numbers or math I need.

Kanhef said:
Sniper: Your base critical chance is 1% per point of Luck. Sniper essentially gives you a 10% chance per point of Luck, which is much better.

Then it will be 100% chance when i Have 10 Luck. So finesse or more critical are useless unleas lowering Luck, yes?

Kanhef said:
Sequence determines what order critters act in during each turn. Everyone gets to act exactly once per turn (unless they lost it due to a critical hit/failure), no matter how high or low their sequence is.

As I remember from playing 10 years ago the region near Den, Klamah et. contains oponents with ones fight is look like that:
one turn of one enemy
two my turns
turn of enemy and normal turns from there
With higher level locations and enemies its look like:
one turn for enemy
one for me
two for enemy and normal one by one from this point

It was not based on sequence?

Kanhef said:
Armor class is subtracted from the calculated chance to hit.

But what is that chance to hit? Is this that 160% of weapon wielding skill? This is 160%-armor class-distance=hit?

Thank you Kanhef. A post in 100% usefull for me.

Whoever starts combat gets to act first in the very first round. If you're attacked by a lower-sequence critter, it happens like this:

-start of combat-
enemy turn
player turn
-new round-
player turn
enemy turn
-new round-
player turn
enemy turn
etc.

The 'double turns' are actually occurring in two separate rounds of combat. Of course, if the player starts combat and attacks a high-sequence critter (such as a deathclaw), the situation is reversed.

The to-hit calculation is complex; I'd be more specific if I could, but I don't entirely understand it yet. It starts with weapon skill, and factors in: weapon perks (weapon long range, weapon scope range, weapon accurate, weapon night sight), perception, distance to target, various perks and traits (sharpshooter, one hander, weapon handling), partial cover (e.g., other critters in the way), insufficient strength to use weapon properly, target's AC, targeted body part, light level, and combat difficulty.

Then this is:
160% from using a gun
+4% from weapon good range
+3% from percepcion bonus
+6% because it is a day
+10% from various perks
-12% from far distance
-20% from weapon spray fire
-15% from crippled limb
-20 armor class
there we go 126% of hit chance that is converting to maximum 95%
Is that right? More or less, just as example?

Is also weapon damage multipli by skill percentage?

Now I need to to know only mechanic about armor.
What means 15/55%? How it reduces enemy fire?
And you said that Damage Resistance is connected to normal damage only but description says that any damage taken is reduced. So how it affect overall reducton?

Most factors are penalties, not bonuses, and I can only quantify a few of them, but that's the general idea. The hit chance is reduced to 95% if it's higher than that.

Damage is not affected by weapon skill.

Damage Threshold is applied first, then Damage Resistance. In your example, a hit for 37 damage would be reduced by 15 to 37, then by 55% (20) to 17.

The 'Damage Resistance' shown on the character screen only applies to normal-type damage. The inventory window shows DT and DR for all types except electrical and EMP.

Are you sure that is only for normal damage? From where you know that? This atribute and later perks description says it is for any incoming damage type and its merging with armor resistences.
Anyway of this if the solid number of 15 is taken from damage firs and after that the percentag of 55% is lwoering the outcome so where from comes 'do damage taken' messages? It appears only for creatures and weapons who can attack for less than 15 points? Once upon a time Wendingos make to me no damage while wearing power armor. Something is not right there. It is possible to extract formula from game files?

Also I would like to know another thing. This perks support weapon damage or only bare hands?
Bonus HtH Attacks AG 6, Level 15
You have learned the secret arts of the East, or you just punch faster. In any case, your Hand-to-Hand attacks cost 1 AP less to perform.
Bonus HtH Damage AG 6, ST 6, Level 3
Experience in unarmed combat has given you the edge when it comes to damage. You cause +2 points of damage with hand-to-hand and melee attacks for each level of this Perk.
Slayer AG 8, ST 8, Unarmed 80%, Level 24
The Slayer walks the earth! In hand-to-hand combat all of your hits are upgraded to critical hits, causing destruction and mayhem.

And legs or power glowes also couts as empty hands?
HtH Evade Unarmed 75%, Level 12
If both item slots are empty, each unused action point gives you +2 instead of +1 towards your armor class at the end of your turn, plus 1/12 of your unarmed skill.

I'm quite certain; the in-game descriptions are not always accurate or as clear as they could be.

'No damage taken' is displayed when the damage done is reduced to 0 by DT or DR (which can reach 100% with ammo modifiers).

Those three perks all apply to melee weapons as well as unarmed attacks.

HtH Evade works as long as neither item slot contains something with a weapon animation when standing. Unarmed-class weapons (power fist, spiked knuckles, etc.), items such as stimpacks or motion sensors, even grenades can be used.

I started to play just recently and have couple questions

What does negative hit chance mean, and how can it be negative at all? The lowest chance should be zero. And I did hit few times (by throwing a rock) and even did some damage in spite of way below zero hit chance.

What does rotating a character change? I know that facing of NPC compared to you modifies chance to be noticed while stealing, but other than that, what effects does it have, in combat for example?

Newser said:
I started to play just recently and have couple questions

What does negative hit chance mean, and how can it be negative at all? I did hit few times (by throwing a rock) and even did some damage in spite of way below zero hit chance.

What does rotating a character change? I know that facing of NPC compared to you modifies chane to be noticed while stealing, but other than that, what effects does it have, in combat for example?

IIRC, as there is never a greater the 95% chance to hit (always a 5% chance of failure). I THINK there is always 5% of a success.

Except the UI never shows above 95% when viewing to-hit chances, but doesn't do the same for below 5%.

Can't remember fully however.

Back