Fallout 1 mod Fallout 1.2 DOSBox Port 0.9.3b

Fat Wombat

First time out of the vault
Hey folks,

In September earlier this year I began compiling my own DOSBox Ports (32 and 64bit) for Doom and other titles. Eventually I got to Fallout and have spent the last month testing and improving just Fallout alone. I found nma-fallout.com to be one of the most useful resources for information and fixes, so thank you folks!!!

I am definitely open to suggestions for improvements, feel free to comment below or on the moddb page.

Latest version tag is 0.9.3.b - if you find an older one, ignore it. :)

Here is the moddb page to the most current file. --> Fallout 1.2 DOSBox Port 0.9.3beta file - Mod DB

Fallout 1.2

YOU MUST OWN FALLOUT AND HAVE ACCESS TO THE GAME FILES!!!

Note: Download size is 170MB approx. Full install size including your *.DAT files is 660MB approx.

SETUP

1. Copy your Fallout "MASTER.DAT" and "CRITTER.DAT" files to the FALLOUT\CD\ folder (preferably directly from an official Fallout CD).

2. Use "*.BAT" files to launch:

FALLOUT32.BAT for 32-bit version
WINDOWED32.BAT for 32-bit version running in a 1280x1024 window (no widescreen support)

FALLOUT64.BAT for scalable 64-bit version (experimental)
Pressing [F11] + [F] will switch between windowed and fullscreen modes. Click and drag corners to resize window.
Pressing [CTRL] + [F10] will capture / release mouse.
Pressing [F11] + [P] will capture screenshots to the "\DOSBOX\capture" folder.
Pressing [ESC] + [F11] will bring up the menu bar.

CHANGELOG

0.9.3beta 1.2 Release (English) - October 2021

-updated from 1.1 to 1.2
-restored censored content
-added v.1.2 and v.1.3.5 updates by TeamX.
-added cathedral fix by TeamX ("Cathedral_Fix.bat" in FALLOUT\ folder). *Use ONLY if you have issues in the cathedral level.
-updated DOSBox-X to SDL2.
-various config file fixes.
-documentation revision.

0.9.2beta CD & GOG.com Version Release (English) - October 2021

-fixed an error when using GOG.com *.DAT files.
-restored censored content when using GOG.com *.DAT files.
-slight speed increase for 64-bit variant.
-documentation revision.

0.9.1beta Release (English) - October 2021

-reduced package size, while maintaining functionality.
-fixed "memory size error".

0.9beta Release (English) - September 2021

-added 64-bit support via DOSBox-X 0.83.17 (experimental).

More updates coming soon as testing continues. Porting this package to other platforms is being discussed.

TROUBLESHOOTING

1. Some full screen scaling and aspect ratio settings may need to be adjusted from your GPU control panel.

2. If the mouse click doesn't function properly in game exit and re-launch, or try one of the other .BAT files.

3. A known issue in the 'Cathedral' level can prevent progress for some players. There is a patch called "Cathedral_Fix.bat" in the FALLOUT folder. *Use ONLY if you have issues in the cathedral level.

CREDITS

This could not have been done without the DOSBox and DOSBox-X teams, so many thanks!
Check them out at https://www.dosbox.com/ and https://dosbox-x.com/

Interplay Productions for creating the amazing Fallout!
This package was created using an original Fallout 1.1 CD.

TeamX for their v.1.2 & v.1.3.5 patches.

The folks at nma-fallout.com and moddb.com

Skynet.

Thankyou for playing!

Fat Wombat.

Hey folks,

There is an issue with windows scaling in 0.9.3b for the 64-bit variant. It has been fixed for the next update, but in the meantime here is the replacement config file. Just extract it to the /DOSBOX directory, overwriting the old one.

Sorry about that!

Enjoy! :D

Attachments

Just curious, what is the use case for it?

This whole thing started when I pulled out an old macbook pro and made a self running doom port. I decided to try some other games, and some dosbox ports that are already out there. I have fallout from gog.com so decided to try the mac version and it was rough lol. The gog release is a wine port i think, but refused to run at all on Catalina os, although runs ok after rolling back to Mojave. Unfortunately it was also stuck 4:3.

I started creating this port in windows to get all the scripting and patching right before eventually porting over. I found this website so handy when looking for info, so decided to post my results in case anyone else wants it.

(version numbers are not really important, mainly for me to keep track of changes :)

Last edited:
What do you mean with port? Fallout 1 and the rest of the games you mention are dos games, ofc they run in dosbox, Ofc it can be more specific configured to that game, also updating sdl for cross-platform as you did.

Still a port means running native on that other platform, wich it is not xP

What do you mean with port? Fallout 1 and the rest of the games you mention are dos games, ofc they run in dosbox, Ofc it can be more specific configured to that game, also updating sdl for cross-platform as you did.

Still a port means running native on that other platform, wich it is not xP

yup, but now this one is easy to access. :D
...as mentioned above, looking to have a mac os ver soon that doesn't crash on newer os. that is why I called it a port. :bow:

Actually for the next update, I’m thinking of changing the title to “portable” instead. So thanks fo your input.

It is portable as it is, meaning you can run it from any location without an installer, and portable because with some editing you can move the whole thing to mac and probably linux.

My mac version is up and running, but isnt ready. Hoping to spend some more time on this project next week.

Last edited:
Back