[Fallout 1] Lots of new features with unofficial Sfall release

Discussion in 'Fallout General Modding' started by Sduibek, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Sduibek

Sduibek Creator of Fallout Fixt Moderator Modder

Oct 27, 2010
    Yeah the 250 HP is scripted, not normal combat dmg, so Zimmerman is, as the French would say, "le fucked".

And yes I don't know what Crafty is thinking with the combat fix thing. But that's okay; we don't have to agree with every change every developer makes. Hell, plenty of people disagree with various things in Fixt. :D I don't lose sleep over it, but I do try to make it enjoyable to the widest range of players possible; that's the best you can do.

I would like to see that feature changed, but if the person working on it says it's how they want it to be, that's kind of the end of the story. :shrug:

2. BreakinBenny

BreakinBenny First time out of the vault

Jun 18, 2015
    This is also a problem, notably in the Fallout Demo when you cannot initiate combat until you fire upon someone. This means Maxie's trip to the Fools' place in Scrapheap was the last one in his life because Baka was a quicker draw…, Max said the wrong thing and she took great offense.

3. Crafty

Crafty First time out of the vault

Apr 30, 2015
    Whether somebody checked really the melee/unarmed characters can't strike first after pressing "A"? :-p

4. Drobovik

Drobovik Vault Archivarius Modder

Jun 20, 2011
    Problema is you can't move UNLESS you skip a turn. But of course you can smack 'em in the face IF you close enough.:razz:

5. Crafty

Apr 30, 2015
    Engine not the telepathist, he can't know for what the player pressed "A" - really for fight or for "infinite free running".

6. Drobovik

Jun 20, 2011
    I see your point. Either way, as you mentioned FakeCombatFix can be turned off and on. So player still has a choice not to use it.

7. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    @Drobovik Correct. As long as a potentially-controversial feature is documented and not enabled by default, everyone is happy. :D

This reminds me now of discussion in the "FO2 Engine Tweaks" thread. The issues that I personally had with Timeslip's ddraw/sfall over time are below. I'm not saying these are happening with Crafty's current version, but it's good rules to keep in mind:

1. Options that are or were still valid would be removed from ddraw/sfall with minimal documentation or notification. Unless you specifically checked the thread you would have no idea. In my opinion, this is not acceptable. It should have simply commented the lines in the ddraw.ini, not removed them.

2. Occasionally, customizable features added to the sfall were never actually added to the ddraw.ini. I see no good reason for this.

3. Options that are not "universally a good idea that most or all people would appreciate" were enabled by default. In my opinion this is also not acceptable. The majority of users should be satisfied, not disregarded.

SUMMARY: Good design should assume:
    1) User can think for themselves,
    2) User values freedom of choice,
    3) User wants transparency from the developer,
    4) User will accept consequences of their own actions/choices,
    5) The only acceptable approach is to satisfy the highest percentage of users.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2016
    • [Like] [Like] x 1
  8. BreakinBenny

BreakinBenny First time out of the vault

Jun 18, 2015
    …The next problem with Zimmerman is, he is completely hostile if he lives after the Regulators are dead after showing him their transmissions. His critter_p_proc should check if the global variables for showing him the holodisk and the Regulators' death are both true, in which case his "enemy-to-dude" flag should reset to zero.

9. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    Download link in OP updated.

10. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    Bug report: If enabled the "Friendly Foe" feature, each time someone takes an action in combat, they gain a red highlight around them. I didn't mess around with the features enough to find out if it's actually more related to the LOS feature. (Because the highlight is always red, not green even for friends)

In a way this is cool, because it makes it easier to see who is currently acting, but it doesn't fade between actions, so in a large fight you'll end up with like 7 people highlighted red, even if you ended the round with the "move" cursor active.

11. Crafty

Apr 30, 2015
    Ty ;) I removed support of color 1 and 8 for ColorLOS to avoid similar situations.

12. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    Ohhhhhh, I've been using ColorLOS 1 so maybe that's what was causing it :D

Thank you!

13. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    Bug: weight shown in Barter window in inverse. It goes up when I put my items there, and goes down when I put the merchant's items in. It should go down when I offer my items, and go up when I select their items to buy :)

14. gustarballs1983

gustarballs1983 Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 28, 2009
    ahh.. but sduibek Your missing the point. The new weight numbers do not show total weight of your items but they show total free carry weight capacity that is left for use instead. i think that Crafty ment it to be this way although i agree it's a little bit confusing when compared to vanilla Fo1 and Fo2 engine where total weight of the items was shown, because 1.it's the exact opposite of how it was until now 2. people that play Fo games are used to the old system so the new one might feel wierd/unnatural to them

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  15. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    EDIT: Oh, got it. Hm. It would then make much more sense, in Barter window, to actually say "Free" or something next to the number. Because current it doesn't have Free#/Total# like everywhere else, so it's totally unclear what the number represents. We just have to guess or assume.

So for consistency, if it's possible to do, best is to format it as Free#/Total# like in other screens.

16. Crafty

Apr 30, 2015
    There is a restriction on length of a string - 64 pixels, therefore it is impossible to use "Free ###/Total ###".
    This option came from F2 version and there in one of the first versions the output format was "Wt. ###". Now a format — "free weight/maximum weight" for characters and "free size/maximum size" for containers.

17. Drobovik

Jun 20, 2011
    @Sduibek
    For F1 sfall Crafty added a special ddraw.ini option QuestsFile for creating a custom quest list in pipboy (quests.ini). Needs pipboy.msg adjusted with new lines as well if you use it.

Link is in my signature as usual or first post of this thread.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2016
  18. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    Very nice, thank you!

Also I saw he posted his stuff on GitHub, good news. :dance:

19. Drobovik

Jun 20, 2011
    Added translated changelog to sfall1 edition as well. Link is updated.

20. .Pixote.

.Pixote. Antediluvian as Feck
    Modder

Sep 14, 2009
    With a name like Crafty... I'm not sure I can trust him. :confused: