Fallout 1 Rebuild Vault 13 project (working title)

Fallout1Classfan22

First time out of the vault
Note before reading: THIS IS NOT A FALLOUT 1 MOD. It is a work in progress of trying to recreate its source code, so keep that in mind.

My goal is to try to recreate the source code of the very first fallout game that started the whole franchise. Now, I know that currently as of right now, it’s very unlikely, and plus most people would just worry about Fallout 2, which had already been reversed engineer, however, I wanted to give reverse engineering a try, and so the first project is the first fallout game, which hasn’t had its official source code released yet.

I may not be the first who had done this, but I am definitely not going to be the last.

Currently I’m working on cracking the original exe file, however I do have one major issue. With the iso fallout 1 I have right now, it contains most of the files, however, I am positive some are missing, such as the DB file, the maps files (even though the maps itself already loads and works within the exe), and probably some other folders and files that I might be missing.

I am also noticing with the dissembler I’m using right now, the decompiler is showing a lot of undefined variables.

I will continue to work in this project despite some issues I’m coming across, and hopefully I can get this to work for everyone to enjoy the rebuilt code of fallout 1.

Which version of the ISO are you using? Are you using an ISO of the OG version or some new release like Fallout Trilogy?

Ideally, you would want to use something close to the source as possible.

Which version of the ISO are you using? Are you using an ISO of the OG version or some new release like Fallout Trilogy?

Ideally, you would want to use something close to the source as possible.

I am using an older Iso from one of the original files I found online. I could’ve done things like the Trilogy, and steam and GoG, however, upon further research, I heard about some modding issues with the situations of those.

did you check or aware of the ongoing reserve engineer project?
https://github.com/alexbatalov/fallout2-re

I am well aware there are already reverse engineering versions already (such as fallout 2), however, I wanted to give this a shot, try to see what I can learn from this experiment. Sure, I could just use fallout 2’s engine because it has already been reverse engineered and source code has been rebuilt, but I want to at least try fallout 1, and see how it works in the end.

A small minor update for anyone reading:

Unfortunately I haven’t gone too far into the project yet, since I did hit a bit of a brick wall. I’m currently using a public reverse engineer tool in order to reverse engineer this game, but I noticed a lot of things. First off, under the exe file, there are a couple of source files located inside:
1CFA4F4B-A470-4C41-8CFD-F491E32DD8D0.jpeg

From what I’m understanding, this contains all the compiled code that I would need to start the reverse engineer process. First I did an analyze on the files, which the output gave this:
2A1AEC17-5663-492B-98A4-C68816B04C39.jpeg

The top part is just the example, showing what seems to be a mix of hexadecimals, and binary, sometimes other code abbreviations. When looking into the decompiled information however, you will see this:
4D8B89EC-182B-4CB4-9866-236518522848.jpeg

This definitely will be a lot, but good things come to those who wait.

Back