Fallout 2 Restoration Project 2.1.2b (Unofficial Expansion)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Felipefpl said:
killap said:
Felipefpl said:
what? i thought the beta was gonna be released here. O_o
Nope, never said that. This is a closed beta and I have about 8 people testing. I'm not taking anymore requests either. This is actually the biggest testing group for the RP yet, so this should be good.
i understand, well, i hope they'll have the patience to try ALL dialog options aside ways to solve problems to see if there is almost no bugs left. ;)
Waits patiently for those 8 lucky bastards who get to play the beta to get done ^^* Im sure they will Felipefpl Who were the 8 lucky people i should tort i mean congratulate for getting to play before us :D

@ThwartAbyss54: 9 testers to be exact. 8-)

An issue with the installer and how it detects 64bit/32bit Windows was found (and hopefully addressed). Yay testers for finding this.

A regression (when selecting a specific item in the installer) was also found. Yay me for finding this.

We'll see how the real testing goes.

killap - did you add a check to prevent the installation if Fallout 2 is installed on Program Files Directory on Vista and 7 and a msg to tell p p l that they should install in c:\ directory? Just curious. If u didnt i'd recommend it so you wont have problems with p p l doing this. ;)

Dravean said:
There may be a new character or two, and some minor map alterations, but nothing game changing. Every time we add new content, we inevitably add new bugs. The purpose of this release is indeed to get the RP finalized and looking all nice an' shiny.

For anyone who's been holding out on trying the RP until the bugs were taken care of: this should be the release you've been waiting for.

Hopefully.

Darek, does 2.2 still include the voice files you created for Cassidy? Really enjoyed the preview you gave us of those a while back.

@ fortyseven,
Sure you got the name correct there? I ,mean, sure, it's pretty and all but I had nothing to do with that. :P

ThwartAbyss54 said:
Who were the 8 lucky people i should tort<strike> i mean congratulate</strike> for getting to play before us :D
That's an excellent reason not to tell. :lol:
I'd say it's up to each of them if they want it to be known.

Felipefpl said:
killap - did you add a check to prevent the installation if Fallout 2 is installed on Program Files Directory on Vista and 7 and a msg to tell p p l that they should install in c:\ directory? Just curious. If u didnt i'd recommend it so you wont have problems with p p l doing this. ;)
That was one of the changes in the installer for RP 2.2. I believe though the issue is only relevant to 64-bit versions, right? Installing to the 'Program Files (x86)' directory is safe? Can anyone confirm? There was discussion about this somewhere and it's been awhile.

@ fortyseven:

No, there are no voice files for Cassidy in the upcoming RP 2.2.

killap said:
Installing to the 'Program Files (x86)' directory is safe? Can anyone confirm? There was discussion about this somewhere and it's been awhile.
AFAIK it's still problematic to install to the program files directory on Vista/Win7 with UAC enabled.

From sfall's FAQ:
If you're on vista, or windows 7 and have UAC enabled, then do _not_ install fallout 2 to the program files directory. Instead pick a path like 'C:\Games\Fallout2'. The same thing applies to any game that you wish to mod. The program files directory is protected by windows, and you'll find yourself either unable to modify the files in it, or your files will end up getting mixed with copies in the virtualstore.

Killap - i dont remember p p l saying anything about 32 or 64 bit so i believe it happens on both systems so it's better to prevent p p l installing the game there to avoid lots of annoying posts with the same complaint, dont forget to add the msg to install in C:\. ;)

NovaRain said:
killap said:
Installing to the 'Program Files (x86)' directory is safe? Can anyone confirm? There was discussion about this somewhere and it's been awhile.
AFAIK it's still problematic to install to the program files directory on Vista/Win7 with UAC enabled.

From sfall's FAQ:
If you're on vista, or windows 7 and have UAC enabled, then do _not_ install fallout 2 to the program files directory. Instead pick a path like 'C:\Games\Fallout2'. The same thing applies to any game that you wish to mod. The program files directory is protected by windows, and you'll find yourself either unable to modify the files in it, or your files will end up getting mixed with copies in the virtualstore.
Hmm, then I need to revisit the beta tester who had issues with Win 7 32b-bit. Thanks for the info guys.

Felipefpl said:
dont forget to add the msg to install in C:\. ;)

Just to clarify, the game doesn't need to be installed elsewhere on the C Drive to avoid the problem. It simply needs to be installed anywhere except for the Program Files folder. It doesn't matter what drive it's installed in, C, D, whatever, as long as it's not in the Program Files folder.

And yeah, as others have said, the issue is with Windows' UAC (User Account Control). Thus it affects any Vista or Windows 7 OS; it doesn't seem to have anything to do with whether the OS is 32 or 64 bit.

I use windows 7 x64, and Fallout installs by default on C:\Program Files\, but I don't have any of those UAC issues because mine is turned off. So I think it's a bad idea to put the installer to install by default on Program Files(x86) :P

Also can't wait for RP to come out !

killap said:
@ fortyseven:

No, there are no voice files for Cassidy in the upcoming RP 2.2.

That's a pity. I was hoping we'd get a nice continuity with Cassidy speaking in Dravean's voice both in the RP and in MR 8-) Still, that's understandable; it's extremely time-consuming to create .lip files for custom voice over. You have to place all animation markers manually, and a couple of seconds of dialogue requires about a hundred markers.

@fortyseven: If you want to hear Dravean as Cassidy, play the new demo of Mutants Rising.

tiagop said:
I use windows 7 x64, and Fallout installs by default on C:\Program Files\, but I don't have any of those UAC issues because mine is turned off. So I think it's a bad idea to put the installer to install by default on Program Files(x86) :P
The RP installer defaults to wherever you have F2 installed. If F2 is installed at C:\Program Files and you are running Vista/7, then it the RP installer will complain (and prevent you from installing) and tell you that you need to reinstall the game at a different location. This will happen whether UAC is enabled or not.

The RP installer defaults to wherever you have F2 installed. If F2 is installed at C:\Program Files and you are running Vista/7, then it the RP installer will complain (and prevent you from installing) and tell you that you need to reinstall the game at a different location. This will happen whether UAC is enabled or not.

Oh I see, I thought that the discussion was about that :oops:

tiagop said:

Oh I see, I thought that the discussion was about that :oops:
No, you're right. I just wanted to clarify what the RP installer will be doing in version 2.2.

That's awesome news on the new version! I remember playing through the original release, which a bit buggy at the time, but altogether, still ambitious and awesome. Just in time for a new play through as well. Thanks Killap!

killap, why is it that stealing from locked containers never have been disabled?
Like this report for instance:
5/26/2011, Win XP SP3 FO2 1.0 Hum, RP 2.1.2b full installer, Party Orders Addon 1.0d. It is possible to steal from Cassidy's desk even when it's locked. Tested with unlocking and relocking also. Savegame I'm pretty sure I've seen this bug in other places in the past, although I can't remember where. (Yeah, this can happen in a lot of places. Any container that is locked via a script can have this issue. -killap)
It's not a hard thing to do (more than finding all of them and there's possibly many of them, can't really remember).
It's just that the only skill that are checked in "use_skill_on_p_procedure" is lockpick, not what happens if it's any other skill.
And as the steal skill opens containers and is not checked (and don't care if something is locked or not) it bypasses everything. A small oversight I reckon.
I only checked Cassidys drawer script, but it basically only includes what's in the ziLocker.ssl script.
To fix it you could just do something like this:
Code:
vicswch1.ssl

procedure use_skill_on_p_proc

if (action_being_used == 9) then begin
				//lots of code
 			end     
// add this
			else begin
				if (obj_is_locked(self_obj)) then begin      // just too keep it consistent with other unlocked containers 
					script_overrides;
				end
			end

Darek said:
killap, why is it that stealing from locked containers never have been disabled?
(more than finding all of them and there's possibly many of them, can't really remember).
That's the reason. I know it's easy to fix, just modifying probably 50+ script files doesn't appeal to me right now. Maybe I'll change my mind before the end of the beta.

That's the reason. I know it's easy to fix, just modifying probably 50+ script files doesn't appeal to me right now. Maybe I'll change my mind before the end of the beta.

you sure need to hire some new devs to help ya, under your guidance of course. ;)

Felipefpl said:

you sure need to hire some new devs to help ya, under your guidance of course. ;)

Or better yet: upload your sources with comments and latest changes to some version control repository (google code?). So that all the devs could get the code and send you the patches which you could review and apply if you like them. That's how open source projects work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back