Fallout 3 first footage

Wow, combat sure does suck ass. Just like I figured it would. And I see that Bethesda hasn't improved the terrible AI from Oblivion.

On the plus side, the game does look pretty damn good, aside from some questionable design choices that we're all familiar with by now. But jeez, they managed to take one of the most enjoyable parts of the original games (the combat) and completely ruin it. FO3 looks like a really mediocre shooter with pretty graphics.

Nice use of the old-school combat sound effects, though. Otherwise, combat is utter shit.

hmm i still dont 'hate' it. those bleak graphics are in order, i guess. a bit mire color here and there would be fine. and, to my astonishment, i think the floor textures look EXACTLY like the ones you find in wow. wtf?

I'd ruled it out as an RPG ages ago, but assumed they may still produce a relatively enjoyable shooter (albeit one I wouldn't touch). But looking at that video, it doesn't even look remotely fun as a shooter, you can tell they haven't had much experience in doing 'gunplay' before... (since Futureshock?).

The weapons really don't look particularly satisfying to use. The combat shotgun's sounds and animations are terribly boring and dull, as is the laser fire (ST:Elite Force's Phaser was a lot better!). VATS also not only looked stupid and tedious, but seemed to be pretty useless when fighting an enemy capable of surviving a single attack. In the time it took for the camera to give him back control, he was already being peppered by the enemy and with no momentum was like a like a rabbit in the headlights. Seems you'd be better off just staying in FPS mode and weaving/strafing about...

Also, why the hell is there what looks to be a ruined shop, with nicely stacked shelves, standing untouched, with no roof, walls, or attendant in the middle of nowhere? They too honest to pilfer in DC? Some art installation?

I really hope this tanks like Daikatana, but sadly the press and public don't seem as eager to stick the knife in these days. Romero would probably be hailed as a genius if he unveiled his 'masterpiece' to todays crowd :(

Jaesun said:
All this time, Rosh was correct.

No really big surprise there. As much as some of us were hoping he'd be proven wrong.

Ah, such wondrous arguments as "why would Bethesda buy a license just to completely change it?" and "Bethesda couldn't be stupid enough to just dump the core of Fallout right out."

How well they proved us wrong.

Meh. They call it an RPG, yet they demo it as if it was a conventional shooter. WTF? Also, the fatman simply seems to be rocket launcher 2.0.

fedaykin said:
Meh. They call it an RPG, yet they demo it as if it was a conventional shooter. WTF? Also, the fatman simply seems to be rocket launcher 2.0.
I thought the same thing about the Fat Man. Seems to be an overpowered rocket launcher that causes mushroom clouds, nothing more.

But at least the Fat Man has been surpassed on the Retard-o Meter™ by the mutant-dismembering Teddy Bear Launcher.

Also, the "violent" death animations look pretty poor. Limbs seem to just sort of fall off with a burst of blood. I know I'm comparing 2D and 3D, but the death animations in the original games looked about 1,000 times better.

Tornadium said:
I don't see what is wrong with the combat.

VATS at this point LOOKS functional but having not played it cannot comment. Saying it will annoy you is down to the individual playing the game.

Remember this is a demo of a WIP (Not to defend the horendus rape that bethesda has applied to FO) but i would judge the game by it's own merits and faults rather than comparing it to a past game.

Really the main complains are a tweeking and polishing fix. Get smoother animations, Fix physics engine (Although i fail to see what was wrong with it).

AI will probably improve for the final game

As for the people bitching that the NPCs charge you...

Are you too retarded to notice they had MELEE weapons? The ones at range STAYED at range.

3 months away ?

Please

Stop apologizing for others and practicing wishfull thinking...

also ... Presented by PUMA ??

Still somehow i think even though the combat system is not turn based, it is quite nice. You can always use it without the bloody mess "PERK" and it won't be boring that much.
Yet i never thought that washington could be so... blue.

If the fatman is supposed to be so rare, WHY DO THEY HIGHLIGHT IT IN EVERY SINGLE FUCKING PREVIEW!

Sorry for the caps, but the next person that states that the fatman, "is rare, you'll never be able to find ammo for it," or, "makes sense in the Fallout universe. Fallout 2 had easter eggs, too," I will personally come to your house and burn that motherfucker down.

Robots floating around everywhere? Meh.

theres nothing wrong with showing off the big guns

bfg, anyone? and, just for the lulz:

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=o5kEhtWZkeA[/youtube]

I like that Todd says the slow-mo VATS thing never gets old.
That's totally reassuring and it's good to know for sure that it wont. :roll:

Anyways, I don't get why some of you says it's not particularly pretty.
It looks great, but it'll probably be a boring shitfest anyways.
Oblivion 2 indeed.

In regards to the animation : This is just a carry over from their work on the Elder Scrolls titles. Whatever they use to handle it sucks. Or their people suck. Either way it's awful just like the people that handle the character models.

But frankly just dissapointing - As games continue to get better looking things like animation really stick out. I can't stand how clunky the walking animation is.

In regards to VATS : I don't fucking understand why the camera pans out every single time it's used. It's going to get old to the point where I probably won't ever use it and instead play the game like it's a poorly implemented Bioshock.

If they're going to be cinematic about it it should either be implemented sparingly OR there should be an option to turn it off. Time will tell how that goes.

But for all of you that think they're going to fine tune the animation... Good luck. Final code for Oblivion says that its as good as its going to get.

Makagulfazel said:
Robots floating around everywhere? Meh.
Blatant HL2 ripoff? Or am I wrong? I seem to remember the exact same thing in HL2...

Hair6a11 said:
I probably won't ever use it and instead play the game like it's a poorly implemented Bioshock.
Oh god, Bioshock's combat sucked so much already!

:EDIT:
Also, about the sounds. I don't like the "open combat/exit combat" sound being ripped off. There's nothing opening or closing as in the original games where you had that little thing and stuff. It sounds like an insult to the work of the original devs, like plagiarism or something. Really. :|

:EDIT:
No, seriously, are people reacting well to that?! :shock:

First of all, i think "dying animations" are too exaggerated and ridiculously bloody. Let's say it's because of "Bloody Mess". AI looks like really stupid. And "fat man" is totally a needless gun. I hope at least we only found one or two rockets most in the game. Because it is totally a cheat.

horst said:
theres nothing wrong with showing off the big guns

bfg, anyone? and, just for the lulz:

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=o5kEhtWZkeA[/youtube]

He's playing with the mouse, what a pussy.

Morbus said:
Hair6a11 said:
I probably won't ever use it and instead play the game like it's a poorly implemented Bioshock.
Oh god, Bioshock's combat sucked so much already!

Regardless of that opinion on Bioshock - this presumably couldn't be seen as an improvement as far as gunplay goes. At least that's my assumption. So things aren't exactly looking up as far as the meat of the gameplay goes.

ak47rp said:
And "fat man" is totally a needless gun. I hope at least we only found one or two rockets most in the game. Because it is totally a cheat.

I remember having an inventory filled with ridiculous weaponry in fallout 2... but not being able to carry all of it.

And I can't remember how weight is going to work with this new iteration. You'd think a fatman munition would be insanely heavy? Thoughts

I don't have major issues with the weapon itself - but merely find it a bit over the top as far as fallout goes and would hope it's not fucking common.

Well that was a bit of a disapointment :? why the hell is the enclave airing music on the radio? Shouldn't they be airing propaganda, like "Join the enclave, we are the future" or some presidential speeches or something like that?

Also, the combat system didn't really look that great, and I really hope that not all VATS animations are the same or they'll really get repetitive in a very short period of time..

Damn, I still had some hope for fallout 3 but it doesn't really seem like it will acomplish much.. I just hope that the final product surprises me!

Back