Fallout 3. Is it really so bad?

Played it and I am not impressed. I got bored very fast and I learned already to hate fire ants.

VATS is useless, it may be used just for fun, but it slows you down in combat, i am not 3d shooter fan but it is easyer to play the game as shoooter than to use VATS in battle....

I am really missing the turn based combat in Fallout 1,2...

VATS isnt useless by a long shot, its god mode on using a fatman on pointblank wont kill you or scratch you at the very least, you step on a landmine enter vats and shoot dogmeat and the mine wont damage you xD.

Seriously this game isnt that bad (and with that bad i mean zero original fallout feeling, but its a decent fps) but its true that it gets boring unless your shooting someone in the gut, wich sadly to say wasnt the fact in the previous games. It does have everything Oblivion has and i mean everything even the enemy health bar is the same, swinging a knife/machete exactely the same way as the oblivion sword no "thrust" option.

And offcourse killing a brotherhood paladin makes the others do the following, please dont do that were on your side xD, salvages power armor and gatling laser.
Even though its realistic repairing weapons and armor is fucking anoying, just because it has to be realistic it doesnt mean it has to piss you off 24/7 in the previous games power armor meant you'd be safe from most dangers in the world of fallout, its not a problem to get killed by a single rad scorpion cause it can somehow still deal damage to you.

Dont get me started on explorable areas all oblivion dungeons with shitty rewards save a few good ones. Though I commend them on some random encounters if they were meant that way.

Quest go to vault # whatever > goes there > kid with a lousy attitude tells you to fuck off and find his friens or he wont let you in, reaches for combat shotgun... wait WTF i cant even pull it out aaaarh damn you bethesta theres no way in fuck im helping some lousy kid demanding help. So yeah im stuck there being to thickheaded to help that kid i decided to blow up megaton just because of him.

Ok invests points in small guns oh look my weapon MAGICALLY DEALS MORE DAMAGE seriously wtf they should just have increased GODMODE accuracy instead. You could at level 2, cause you get out of the vault at level 2, kill the first merchant you find take his stuff sell it in megaton then find a supermutant kill him with god mode steal his minigun and fire away with 10 skill in big guns...

As for the stats, strength, endurance, intelligence, luck and agility are important for they do what they should do starting with 1 charisma didnt hurt me at all neither did starting with 1 luck apart from no critical hits.

Why would someone buy healing at a doctor when sleeping for 1 hour in a bed heals you to 100% and heals crippled limbs!
Fuck the autodoc, the maggot ridden matras is all you need!

All in all this game shouldnt been named Fallout 3, but Oblivion with guns or Oblivion Fallout Mod cause thats what it is and nothing more.

I dunno, I quite like Fallout 3. Of course it's quite different from the previous iterations but then again isometric view is so 90's and the combat system wasn't all too good in FO1/2 either.

You guys should nitpick less and try to enjoy the game even if it's not Fallout as we know it :p

I like Oblivion, have yet to play Fallout 2 (it's installed, but unplayed), and really like Fallout 3.

Millenia said:
I dunno, I quite like Fallout 3. Of course it's quite different from the previous iterations but then again isometric view is so 90's and the combat system wasn't all too good in FO1/2 either.

You guys should nitpick less and try to enjoy the game even if it's not Fallout as we know it :p

How is pointing out obvious flaws, which even some game sites have discussed, be considered nitpicking?

:roll:

It's really not that bad. If you replace the title Fallout 3 with "Post Apocalyptic Journey to find my Dad", it's actually pretty good. Sure, it has some minor flaws, but it isn't that piece of shit that BoS was.

Pope Viper said:
That I will give you.

Yea, if they took out the Fallout elements, and they renamed it something else, I'd really like the game, as it is better then about 99% of the crap released now adays.

I played 2h36, and I already have a machine gun, and assault rifle, a laser rifle, a rocket launcher, a flame thrower, a shotgun, grenades and anti personal mines.

And of course I already easily killed tons of super mutants (and all of that without any dialogue so far with those enemies).

Come on. That's really not Fallout. I would expect some dialogues, different factions and some though choices. Killing 99% of people on the map without any justification is just awfully stupid.

It's really a retarded game. I swear, I'll NEVER, ever criticize Fallout tactics again. Never.

Bethesda just had to throw in the "you cannot sleep in someone elses bed" nonsense, even if the bed's "owner" is dead.

That and having a stolen item tag on anything I pick up in the middle of fucking nowhere shack that some squatter happens to be recently murdered in. Hey guess what, this shit didn't belong to them either, and nobody can tell the difference between this "stolen" stimpack and one I picked up fair and square somewhere else off of some guys dead body. It is so ridiculous, if some item happens to be picked up off of some murdered victim of mine's rotting corpse its all okay, but this imaginary line is crossed if I get an item two feet away from him off of the goddamn table.

And I can't forget the immortal npcs, exactly the same as oblivion. Doomed to being knocked unconscious, waking up, and then going about their business until they get knocked out again, wake up, forget what happened, over and over.

I can pretend to ignore the big issues that everyone knows are lacking such as, what the fuck does this game have in common with fallout to deserve the name? I don't think too many people who actually cared whether or not it would be any sort of sequel expected otherwise at this point. But these are just some really simple things that Bethesda knew were problems and didn't even attempt to remedy. It makes for some real "immersion" breaking moments when I am constantly reminded how rock fucking dumb and ridiculous all the npcs behave, or how the karma gods frown upon my "stealing" of some dead guys silverware in the middle of nowhere.

Yes, Fallout 3 really is shitty, no matter what context it is put in and judged as and compared to.

beverageleverage said:
Bethesda just had to throw in the "you cannot sleep in someone elses bed" nonsense, even if the bed's "owner" is dead.

That and having a stolen item tag on anything I pick up in the middle of fucking nowhere shack that some squatter happens to be recently murdered in. Hey guess what, this shit didn't belong to them either, and nobody can tell the difference between this "stolen" stimpack and one I picked up fair and square somewhere else off of some guys dead body. It is so ridiculous, if some item happens to be picked up off of some murdered victim of mine's rotting corpse its all okay, but this imaginary line is crossed if I get an item two feet away from him off of the goddamn table.

And I can't forget the immortal npcs, exactly the same as oblivion. Doomed to being knocked unconscious, waking up, and then going about their business until they get knocked out again, wake up, forget what happened, over and over.

Fortunately, all of that will be fixed by modders (Just like that nonsensical shit was fixed in oblivion).

Can't say the same about the broken animations/lip syncing though.

Booze Zombie said:
I want to know, why does a large portion of the "old school" heavily dislike this new game in the franchise?

I also feel I have answers for some of the more common complaints with Fallout 3, which I'd like to post.

Exploding cars: "They are over the top and silly!"

The cars in the Fallout universe utilize nuclear energy instead of conventional fuel, correct? And they've just been sitting there, after enduring massive nuclear blasts and 200 years of corrosion?

Don't you think that would compromise the safety on the nuclear components in the car? I mean, doesn't that make sense?

I see where you're coming from and I agree but however close to realism it may be, there is not fathomable reason why I don't see cars exploding occasionally when I am not within the vicinity.

The cars only seem to violently explode when you're near them which makes it feel horribly scripted which, it's in no way a bad thing for a FPS but for a Fallout RPG, it is unacceptable. Maybe I haven't ventured throughout the wastes enough but I have yet to see a single vehicle randomly explode due to the fact that they're "sitting there, after enduring massive nuclear blasts and 200 years of corrosion". The main issue is not why cars explode but why cars explode when you're near them.

Booze Zombie said:
The "fat man": "This is not something a humanity almost destroyed by nuclear bombs would use!"

In previous Fallout games, was it not the case that nuclear bombs were used to finish off major threats to humanity with an ironic tone being set via this method of threat removal?

For example, The Master and The Enclave.

Perhaps the Beth Dev team wanted to do something similar, but on a smaller, more regular scale?

Also, was it not the case that the energy used for energy weapons was in fact nuclear, which also allowed for it to be used to power cars?

I find no fault with the Fat Man and I concur with you whole-heartedly.

Booze Zombie said:
The ghouls: "All they do is attack you and they can run!"

I thought the original Fallout games had roving bands of ghouls who attacked you randomly, as well as sentient ghouls? I can only guess that Beth decided to make them run because so many people said they're not zombies.

Ghouls are not zombies, correct but haven't they suffered searing burns and radioactive fallout - which caused their skin to peel off and practically making every physical movement extremely painful - thus disabling them physically, if not mentally? Fine, I'm totally for running ghouls but seriously, EVERY single ghoul in the game? Then they're not ghouls, they're perfectly normal humans with a bad case of burn trauma so they shouldn't be feral or dying off like flies in the first place!

I understand your position but those are my opinions and in no way does it make Fallout 3 a disaster but it certainly does not make Fallout 3 a knockout. Frankly, Fallout 3 has effectively traumatized many a Fallout purist including myself. Sad, just bloody sad.

Booze Zombie said:
The "fat man": "This is not something a humanity almost destroyed by nuclear bombs would use!"

In previous Fallout games, was it not the case that nuclear bombs were used to finish off major threats to humanity with an ironic tone being set via this method of threat removal?

For example, The Master and The Enclave.

Perhaps the Beth Dev team wanted to do something similar, but on a smaller, more regular scale?

Also, was it not the case that the energy used for energy weapons was in fact nuclear, which also allowed for it to be used to power cars?
Nuclear energy doesn't automatically mean nuclear explosion. In fact, a *lot* needs to be happen before a nuclear explosion will take place (nuclear power plants cannot start one, for instance).

Also, yes, nuclear weapons were used to end the first two games on an ironic note.
However, these events were very rare and the bombs were treated more respectfully than having mini-nukes scattered across the wasteland as if it was the most normal thing in the world.

If Bethesda thought they could replicate this but going smaller and more frequent, it just shows that they failed at even understanding it.

Yup, stealing tags and sleeping restrictions are really annoying. Shouldn't be there. It's a PA world, dammit!

As for mini-nukes and rest of the stuff, it seems that the nuclear was in 2077 was a lie after all, and there's no real scarcity in the PA world. The place is blooming!

No, it's not THAT bad...as in, not as bad as... I actually can't think of a worse game at the moment, but I can say for sure that I have played worse.

But as an RPG, it's pathetic. And as a shooter, the same. Far Cry 2 is getting so much flack, but shit, it's leaps and bounds more fun and immersive than this.

I'm not saying 1/10 or anything overly exaggerated, but 9's and 10's? Come on. This game is a 7.5 tops, and I'm more inclined towards the 6 range.

Let's just say that Fallout 3 belongs to the same rung of the ladder as STALKER: Clear Sky or Spore. Yes, it's entertaining and definitely a great game but it's not keeping me up all night. The fact that I can even tear myself away from the PC and voluntarily stop playing it (which wasn't the case with the first two) says quite a lot.

I got Far Cry 2 at the same time I bought Fallout 3 and sadly, I'm spending more time in Far Cry 2 as, like the above poster said, it's more immersive. And seriously, Far Cry 2 is lesser-than-average with its level of immersion (weak storyline, forgettable NPCs, terrible voice acting) but even so, it still beats Fallout 3 hands down. Bethesda really went wrong in many places.

Back