Fallout 3 launch party Oct 18th

Discussion in 'NMA News and Information' started by Brother None, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Sander

Sander This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

Jul 5, 2003
    Why? Because the Foo Fighters are 'normal people' and JT and Beyonce aren't?
    Ridiculous. The Foo Fighters are just as high-profile.

Meh, I don't think this'd sway the journalists any extra. Getting past A++ isn't really possible, is it? For as far as we can see, they didn't need much persuading in the first place.

2. penumbra

penumbra First time out of the vault

Jan 22, 2007
    i assumed that this wasn't serious. do i have this poor an understanding of the world?

i can't believe a game with such cheesy, stereotypical and plainly poor voice acting (and its syncronization with the 3d models) needs to be compared with movies.

3. Outbreak

Outbreak It Wandered In From the Wastes

Sep 24, 2008
    I'm not saying they aren't high profile, but they aren't on that list of media hogs like Timberlake and Beyonce are. I never even hear about Foo Fighters unless they do an album or show up on an awards show. The others I can't get away from.

But...the point was more to say that the Foo Fighters make sense as a band to hire for this kind of party, expensive or not. It'd be just the same to me if Henry Rollins, 30 Seconds to Mars or Goldfrapp showed up. People like Usher, Beyonce, Timberlake, Jessica Simpson, etc. just scream, "look at me! Look at all the money I can blow!" Same as if Dominic Monaghan showed up with the guy from "Chuck" and the cast of "Reaper". That certainly makes more sense than Russell Crow, Tom Cruise or anyone from "The Hills" or "Gossip Girl".

So...point taken, but that's my point. Not to blow this out of proportion with my outlandish examples; it isn't THAT bad; but it's still silly in this case.

4. SuAside

SuAside Testament to the ghoul lifespan
    Admin

May 27, 2004
    look, this is just:
    - a way to get more media coverage
    - a way to mingle and get free champagne
    - a way to get a few devs back on track on thinking they have a social life

my company did a launch party too when we went to a new version of our SaaS... and this year we're throwing another event, but without any special reason this time. who cares, it's all good publicity.

and i like the Foo Fighters.

just sayin'.

5. taag

taag Still Mildly Glowing

Aug 30, 2008
    I'm crying because...

a) Odette will be there and I won't. And that awful little man Toddler will be all over her
    b) I remembered how much money will this suck up. Brace yourself for another economical collapse

::sniff::

6. Matt K

Matt K It Wandered In From the Wastes

Jul 16, 2008
    I had no idea, but this does explain a lot. With all these corporate suits on the board it's no wonder the direction of their games has become so bland. It also explains why the PR budget is so much more than the actual game budget.

EDIT: I was also wondering why they are having this thing in LA instead of Maryland/DC but given who runs the company it does make some sense.

7. Public

Public Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

May 18, 2006
    This is how Bethesda works:

Let's buy Fallout 3!

YEAH!

Let's turn it into Oblivion with guns!

OH YEAH!!

Hmmm, it would be cool to have your own mini-nuke launcher in the game. Let's make it in Fallout 3!

AWESOME!!

What if we could kill someone with a teddy bear?

THAT IS SO COOOOOL, LET'S MAKE IT!!

Gore, and blood, lots of it!!

DAMN RIGHT!!

Hey, why only movies can have a party for their premieres?? Lat's make a party for game's premiere!!

OHHH RIGHT!!!

8. Jubal Quintus

Jubal Quintus Nacho Friend

Mar 2, 2007
  9. Confalone

Confalone Still Mildly Glowing

Jul 16, 2008
    The ink spots still preform!? Man I'd love to see one of their shows!

10. Beelzebud

Beelzebud A Smooth-Skin

Mar 6, 2008
    I wonder what the ratio is of money spent on the actual game vs. money spent on their advertising campaign.

They have got to be throwing down some serious money for these types of events. Money that would have been better spent on a new animation department, etc...

11. Beelzebud

Beelzebud A Smooth-Skin

Mar 6, 2008
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't The Ink Spots play at the Fallout 2 launch party many many moons ago?

12. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Admin Orderite Board Cop oTO

Apr 3, 2003
    Don't remember.

But I have to say; some of you guys whining about games having launch parties must've been living in a cave the past decade. Launch parties are very normal.

Like, indeed, the Fallout 2 launch party:
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sp81iaJ92-M[/youtube]

13. Ausir

Ausir Venerable Relic of the Wastes

Apr 20, 2003
    Doesn't look like these guys have much to do with the original band, though. From Wikipedia:

Looks like this band is a descendant of one of these many offshoots.

14. Outbreak

Sep 24, 2008
    I'm fine with launch parties, by all means. It's just about who's showing, or being paid to show up there. Again, it's not everyone that's there either. It's just the more the game industry ties in the the major media industry, the more common tripe we are going to see produced. That's what is sad and annoying.

Ah, whatever...

:falloutonline: :vatted:

The producers, and the fact there were 3 of them there, was really what freaked me out and sent me on a tyraid, not so much the others. I didn't know about or expect that kind of major influence. That's the kind of attention that a successful long running series deserves, (from the same developers) not a first run takeover of a classic.

15. taag

taag Still Mildly Glowing

Aug 30, 2008
    This isn't as half as bad.

I remember seeing creator of God of War games giving an interview while attending a party at Playboy mansion. :lol:

16. Outbreak

Sep 24, 2008
    lol... :)

17. Sander

Sander This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

Jul 5, 2003
    Stop spamming, Outbreak. You do this regularly, only post when you have something to add to a subject. Just saying 'lol' or 'I agree' or something to that meaning is not useful.

Well, considering the fact that most of those people are dead or nearly dead and these people own the rights, it's as good as you're going to get.

18. Noneoftheabove

Noneoftheabove First time out of the vault

May 2, 2007
    I hope that when the dust settles and the publicity hype is over, Fallout will still be seen and enjoyed by perhaps even more people as a classic RPG Pen & Paper experience rather than the glossy fluff it is appearing to be right now.

19. Pope Viper

Pope Viper This ghoul has seen it all
    Orderite

Dec 9, 2003
    Could you imagine what Troika or the old BIS team could have done with just the advertising budget that BS is blowing on this thing?

Makes me cry.

20. Silencer

Silencer Night Watchman Staff Member Admin

Nov 7, 2003
    Damn. That's an awful lot of big wigs. Or something.