Fallout 4- doesn't have to be incremental, chronologically

Discussion in 'Future Fallout Game Discussion' started by Yazman, Dec 15, 2008.

1. TorontoReign

TorontoReign WHO DO YOU THINK THAT IS THERE? Staff Member Moderator

Apr 1, 2005

While I dislike about 60 percent of the game, the wooden buildings are the least of Fallout 3's problems. I would never defend Bethesda, but arguing about the wooden buildings still standing is a little crazy. If the wooden buildings were the only problem this game had we would all be much happier right now.

I don't think I said wooden buildings enough.....wooden buildings.

2. Fade

Fade It Wandered In From the Wastes

Aug 27, 2007
    The buildings are more of an example of the lack of thought that went into the game. Ausir said it best:

Parts of Fallout 3 look/play/read great, but the whole looks more like Dr. Frankstein put it together than a polished game.

3. Herr Mike

Herr Mike Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Jul 28, 2008
    I don't really care about the wooden buildings, it's just fun to discuss. I actually think they are a nice effect on the landscape.

Judging from old farmhouses around here (in Iowa), they will typically stand until someone tears them down. I'm sure I've seen houses that have been derelict for 60+ years, perfectly intact.

Of course, most likely someone would have taken the wood. But, you could look at Springvale and say that someone already has taken a lot of it.

4. Fade

Fade It Wandered In From the Wastes

Aug 27, 2007
    With those burn patterns? It comes across as something that has stood since the fall of the bombs. Anyway, the wooden buildings would have looked great in a game set 10 to 20 years after someone arrived in DC.

Hmmmmmm. That is the big problem: People. 200 years after the war or 5 years doesn't matter if no one is around to change anything in DC. Set things just as people are moving into an area. The fetch quests & explore ones would fit as nobody has a clue where things are. Say two more groups move at the same time with raiders following them to steal their gear. All of the people in the groups could give their own quest based on how they want things to develop. Tying it together & modifying the outcome based on which quests you did & when would be a challenge.

5. Herr Mike

Herr Mike Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Jul 28, 2008
    Right, and that's important to keep in mind if they wish to keep the games chonological. You can easily come up with a reason why an area was not repopulated until relatively recently, thus explaining the lack of development.

6. Swiffness

Swiffness First time out of the vault

Aug 14, 2003
    What he said.

What's unrealistic again? Staples of the franchise include concepts as fanciful as Plasma Rifles, Ghouls, and a "Forced Evolutionary Virus" that turns people into monsters. Come on, that last one has more in common with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles than Mad Max. A realistic depiction of life after a Global Thermonuclear War would be fascinating.....for a RPG/RTS hybrid. But it would only fleetingly resemble Fallout.

And I strongly disagree with Commiered's argument that things would be "getting back to normal" after 200 years. I mean.....

Given the nature of the Fallout universe, I think its safe to assume that nuclear proliferation would continue to grow exponentially, ESPECIALLY during the Resource Wars. Since the Pre-War Fallout civilization basically eschewed development of miniaturized electronics, munitions targetting would also be relatively primative. This means that militaries would compensate by using (much) larger payloads in their nuclear arsenals (this was true with the real-world USSR, hence them being batshit crazy enough to put 20 megaton missles in service). By 2077, 50mt+ Tsar-Bomb-style nukes would be frighteningly commonplace in the Fallout world.

So in other words, Fallout's nuclear war would literally be like ten times worse than any real-life equivalent.

Under those circumstances, I would expect mankind to return to "normal" - as in a vibrant, interconnected, interdependent world community - in no less than 1 or 2 THOUSAND YEARS. That's a nice big window for some Wasteland action.

7. Swiffness

Aug 14, 2003

8. Swiffness

Aug 14, 2003
    And the "Fallout 0" idea is the coolest Fallout 4 concept I've come across, imho. They could start it with you being born outside the Vault right before the bombs drop, then getting rushed in by your mother before the door shuts. The whole point of that being that you get a nice Call of Duty 4 style intro where you get to look around and gawk at the abject panic, hellfire, and mushroom clouds in the distance.

9. Ravager69

Ravager69 Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Dec 21, 2007
    Keep your Call of Duty out of my Fallout - it was never meant to be an action game with explosions and shit. It is about humanity's lust for war, as Avellone (I think) said. In Fallout, the nuclear war happened so long ago no one even remembers it (aside from few ghouls) and the world before it is lost and gone. It's about dealing with the aftermath of the war, not the war itself.

If the devs intent to move closer and closer to the apocalypse itself, perhaps it would be better to start a new franchise.

10. Alvarez

Alvarez It Wandered In From the Wastes

Nov 5, 2009
    I like the Fallout 0 idea, that will sure reveal many facts about the war, if Beth wouldn't forget about the plot while playing Emmerich.

Fallout 3 doesn't make sense at all.
    It just look...pretty. Fabricated. It would even sound ironic, but Fallout 3 is the apogee of apocalyptic wasteland clichee.

Barren and grim, but full with mostly intact remnants of civilization and a lot of monsters to kill. Crops and big, flourishing towns wouldn't look apocalyptic enough. Everyone should bathe in their PA misery, but don't die an unspectacular death.

I wouldn't even be surprised, if Capital Wasteland were to be an advanced Tranquility Lane.