Fallout 2 mod Fallout et tu - Release v1.7

Discussion in 'Fallout General Modding' started by Lexx, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Lexx

Lexx Testament to the ghoul lifespan
    Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    The bug is actually that the Followers don't leave on the last level of the Master's Lair. This will be fixed in the v1.6 release.
    They also work as "real" party members, which is why you were unable to make the Mr. Handy robot follow you again. Same thing happens with any other such temporary party members - Right now I'm not aware of a way to fix this.

2. MageBlade

MageBlade First time out of the vault

Jun 5, 2021
    Hey there, first time ever installing Fallout 1 and 2, got hard copies. I installed this, is there anything else recommended to install or is this the whole community patch in one? My only experience with windows 95 is Dig Dug so treat me like a simpleton pretty please.

3. Lexx

Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    The release has everything you need. Keep in mind, though, that due to Sfall this isn't really a Win95 game anymore.

4. MageBlade

Jun 5, 2021
    Ah yeah I saw the HQ music requires Sfall. So Sfall is already installed? Do you recommend any textures/interface/visual upgrades/packages or is everything installed? Sorry if I'm just basically asking the same question again.

5. Lexx

Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    Here is a list of the mini-mods that are included in the release and here is some more stuff. Nothing else exists for ettu yet. You should also look at the fo1_settings.ini file for other parameters.

Sfall is included - without it, ettu wouldn't be possible.

6. MageBlade

Jun 5, 2021
    Thank you for all your help!

7. banjo_oz

banjo_oz First time out of the vault

Mar 3, 2007
    I have a big favour to ask for v1.6: I love the new low-tier energy pistol you can now get from the Shady Sands merchant, however it replaces the (unusued) F2 Zip Gun proto. I usually mod the Zip Gun back into Fallout 2 as a Pipe Rifle alternative because I love the aesthetic, and would like to also use that weapon in Et Tu... but obviously I can't because the "Zap Gun" (your cool new pistol, as I call it) overwrites the original.

Would it be feasible to have the "Zap Gun" (energy version) you added be a new proto added by Et Tu rather than overwriting the F2 Zip Gun? Or maybe have it overwrite something else that isn't ever used in either F2 or Et Tu (Tangler's Hand or Smitty's Cool Item, for example) instead?

If there's a good reason for doing it as an overwrite of that specific proto, no problems, but just wanted to ask.

8. Lexx

Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    Sure it's possible, but you can do pretty much the same - just overwrite a different unused item with your zip gun. :p Why does it have to be the same proto?

9. banjo_oz

banjo_oz First time out of the vault

Mar 3, 2007
    Only for compatibility, because the Zip Gun was originally that proto anyway. If, for example, you or someone else later replaces "Tangler's Hand" then my changing that proto to the old Zip Gun is no longer compatible. Like, say, I chose that to replace and later you, someone, or even I, re-add the Tangler subquest back into the game.

Like the RPU, Et Tu already adds some new protos of its own by necessity, so one more new one (Zap Gun) rather than it being a replacement of an existing F2 item wouldn't matter for future compatibility since everyone using or modding Et Tu needs to respect all your added protos anyway.

As you say, though, easy enough to just mess around with it myself if need be.

On a different note, I'd love it if your cool Et Tu Zap Gun was someday added to the RPU project as a new weapon/proto, even if it wasn't available normally in-game. Again, I can do it myself, but a) it's yours and b) if it's part of the main RPU rather than a mod, there are less compatibility issues with other/future mods.

10. Lexx

Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    I've moved it to a different proto. Still... technically the laser pistol in ettu *is* the Zip-Gun. I've just put a twist on it and turned it into a laser. Simple reason being that nobody would use a 10mm 1-shot Zip-Gun if you already start out with a 10mm Pistol. It simply makes no sense unless you want to gimp yourself on purpose.

11. Arathos

Arathos First time out of the vault

Feb 2, 2017
    Hmmm...would it be possible to make it so that one can reach level 99 in this mod?

12. Lexx

Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    Open ddraw.ini and delete the XPTable. Not sure what you want to farm in the game to get to that level, though.

13. Arathos

Arathos First time out of the vault

Feb 2, 2017
    Just in case...should I just delete XPTable or the WHOLE line with the upcoming numbers (1000,3000,6000) as well? Maybe also the "Player's level is capped once the highest specified level is reached" too?

I kinda liked the "level cap being up to 99" feature in Fallout FIXT so I thought it would be fun to get that here too.

Thanks in advance!

14. NovaRain

NovaRain Casual Modder Modder

Mar 10, 2007
    Just put a semicolon at the beginning of that line to comment out the option.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  15. egornovivan

egornovivan First time out of the vault

May 28, 2020
  16. Lexx

Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    Nah, it unnecessarily bloats up the file size. Players will have to install it manually.

17. KnightShade

KnightShade First time out of the vault

Jun 16, 2021
    I just tried out Et Tu for the first time after playing previously with fixt.
    I'm curious how the AP/JHP ammo issue has been dealt with in Et Tu.
    I did an experiment and got a strange result.
    I set a 10mm pistol to do exactly 20 damage every time.
    Unarmored people take 24 damage from JHP and 22 from AP. Huh?
    Dogs (with 10% normal resistance, I think) take 18 from JHP (seems correct) and 17 from AP.

Is there an explanation for the formulas being used? Because this makes little sense to me.

18. NovaRain

NovaRain Casual Modder Modder

Mar 10, 2007
  19. KnightShade

KnightShade First time out of the vault

Jun 16, 2021
    @NovaRain Thanks for the pointer.

Another question for anyone knowledgeable:

I see a version of sFall is still undergoing development even now. (https://github.com/FakelsHub/sFall-Extended/releases)
    Is Et Tu using these updated versions?
    And will the next (looking soon?) version using the latest stable version available?
    If not, is there any problem with my adding them in to Et Tu? Or are they too divergent?

20. Lexx

Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    Ettu is always using the latest official Sfall. Extended should also work (I know that some are using it), but I don't know how big the gameplay different are and I can't offer any support for it.

Version 1.6 will be released in a couple days and it's coming with Sfall 4.3.0.1