Fallout 2 mod Fallout et tu - Release v1.8

Discussion in 'Fallout General Modding' started by Lexx, Aug 23, 2019.

1. gustarballs1983

gustarballs1983 Vault Senior Citizen
    Modder

Oct 28, 2009
    So could You tell me or give me a hint where is this "right spot" located? in front of the emiter or rather closer to the forcefield in order to destroy the emmiter?

As for motivation all i can do is to ask You nicely, but that'll probably be not enaugh :p

2. Lexx

Lexx Testament to the ghoul lifespan
    Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    Not sure. Somewhere close to the emitter, has to be in explosion range (probably 1 hex in front of it). The emitter script doesn't check for specific explosions - any explosion (dynamite, grenade, rocket) will damage it the same way.

3. gustarballs1983

Modder

Oct 28, 2009
    then I think it's the radius or damage numbers that matters, the dynamite explosion is visually bigger than explosion from exploding rocket, the exploding rocket is more flat explosion and doesn't visually reach the emiter. Haven't tested grenades though.

EDIT:
    Checked agin..
    still nothing no matter what hex i target like right next to the emiter one hex up or one hex below it doesn't do shit no matter what i blow it with, molotivs, EMP's Plasma, standard grenade, or rocket launcher. Though Rocket launcher explosion graphics is indeed the same as dynamite's, the frag grenade and molotov have a different blow up animation ( rocket explosion reaches visually the emmiter, while grenade and molotov's explosion visually doesn't). Despite all the above I couldn't destroy the forcefield emmiter with weapons, only by setting the explosive charges ( dynamite or plastic explosives). any help?

also when targetting it constantly says in the message window "You see nothing out of ordinary" when having the target cursor, just as if binoculars were chosen...

Last edited: Sep 26, 2022
  4. DogMeatBeef

DogMeatBeef First time out of the vault

Sep 29, 2022
    Hello there @Lexx !

I just recently completed Fallout 1 (vanilla) and Fallout 2 (with RPU) and I'm interested in trying your Et Tu mod for Fallout 1.

I've read you incorporate all of Fixt's bug corrections + some more bugs you removed from the base game which is great since I'm looking for a mostly purist run on these games.

I read on GitHub that Et Tu is compatible with FO2TWEAKS, High Quality Music and Party Orders (FO2), but I'm confused as to how all of that's possible since there are no instructions on GitHub saying how to configure FO2TWEAKS with Fallout 1 w/Et Tu (I'm worried using it with Et Tu might break the game/corrupt save files).

I know the Temple of Trials and modoc brahmin won't be present in Fallout 1 with Et Tu, however, since it's not written anywhere I'd like to know if the other settings in FO2TWEAKS will be fully compatible with your Et Tu mod (also, can you confirm if Party Orders and High Quality Music will also work with Et Tu, please? I'd be really grateful for any help!).

I forgot to ask about this: After installing Fallout Et Tu successfully, is the High Res Patch (that comes by default with Steam version) usable and, if so, how can I install on the Et Tu mod folder (I guess copying and pasting the high Res Patch installer won't work?)? Or is the High Res Patch not going to work and I'll need to use Sfall.ini to edit the resolution of the game?

Thank you for any help, hopefully you'll be able to see my post and reply soon :).

Last edited: Sep 30, 2022
  5. gustarballs1983

Modder

Oct 28, 2009
    dude adding your own set of mods on top of another fallout 2 mod, ain't guaranteed to work, you basically need to know what You're doing, or else stuff might screw up, there's no guide since none of the testers bothered to try to play with other mods i guess..

From my personal experience I can telll you that you need to disable either the auto-doors-open/colse mod from et tu or the one from Fo2tweaks (I suggest disabling the latter), or else you might get crashes, as for High Resolution Patch a.k.a HRP no need to worry about copying anything from Fo2 folder. Et Tu installs inside fallout2 directory into a subfolder, so that it doesn't conflict with any of Your Fo2 stuff nor any other mods installed into fo2. HRP from Fo2 folder is not nessecary since EtTu has already two HRP's the one similar to what your Fo2 has, and one built-in to a whole lot newer sfall a.k.a ddraw.dll,You'll be promoted which one to choose anyways once you'll start the game, but i suggest to stick to the original one (be mindfull that there are various diffenrent files called ddraw.dll so don't touch it or replace it if you don't know what You're doing).

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  6. domitomi135

domitomi135 First time out of the vault

Nov 30, 2016
    Is there a way to use f2wedit or similar with Fallout1in2? I want to reduce the weight of radscorpion taild and remove ammo weight.

Edit: figured it out thanks to the fine people of NMA Discord server; Proto Manager works like a charm

Last edited: Oct 1, 2022
  7. gustarballs1983

Modder

Oct 28, 2009
    f2wedit should work, as Et Tu is simply a mod for Fo2 and if you have the balls You may also try ProtoManager by Mr.Stalin.

Side note though if You want to edit Et Tu stuff Yu might want to try to change the default path to the mod folder Fallout 2\EtTu's folder\mods\fo1_base etc.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  8. PsychoGlory

PsychoGlory First time out of the vault

Apr 8, 2016
    Hello! I have decided to try out this mod for my next Fo1 run, and while testing some of the settings in the f1_settings file, I found a minor issue. Under the FIXIT category, I tried switching the GVAR_IRONMAN_MODE setting (from 0 to 3) and then opening up and starting a new game afterward. However, the setting did not have an apparent effect, with the starting items being default from Fo1 (base items plus tagged skill items). Is this normal?

9. Lexx

Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    Yeah, it's a bug. The code runs too early and thus the changed setting won't be in effect yet. Fixed with the next release.

To get around this, you can set the IRONMAN_MODE variable in \mods\fo1_base\data\Vault13.gam manually.

10. PsychoGlory

Apr 8, 2016
    Thank you for the response! Are there any other settings like it that are currently affected with the bug? I'd like to tweak any settings before starting my new game. I think I found that the Fo2-style morning rest option (8:00AM) does not work either.

On a somewhat unrelated note, I saw an older comment here about a user having issues because of the DisableHorrigan setting in ddraw.ini being set to 0. When tweaking my settings, I found it being set to 0 in mine, even though I just installed the mod. Should I set this setting to 1?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2022
  11. Lexx

Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    Fo2-style morning rest option works. You have to restart the game, save, restart the game again. There is no other solution for this right now.

DisableHorrigan MUST be set to 1. This will never be 0 by default unless you have fiddled with the files in some way.

12. PsychoGlory

Apr 8, 2016
    I can confirm that the DisableHorrigan field was set to 0 by default, since I downloaded the mod (using the latest changelog link in page 1) and only messed with the f1_settings file, plus the resolution in ddraw.ini. I have not even started a game as of right now.

Anyway, thank you for the information! I'll try out the mod now that I got confirmation that the other settings work.

13. NovaRain

NovaRain Casual Modder Modder Moderator

Mar 10, 2007
    That's weird, the ddraw.ini in Fallout1in2.zip has the option set to 1.

14. PsychoGlory

Apr 8, 2016
    Strange, I have deleted the mod and re-installed it again, and the field was set to 1 as expected.

I am sure I did not mess with the field, since I only tweaked the fo1_settings fields, the resolution in the f2_res file (to test setting it to my native resolution with X2 scaling), and the enabled/disabled extra patches in ddraw.ini.

EDIT: Nevermind, I think I was looking at the ddraw.ini. Whoops :confused:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2022
  15. Beserker1972

Beserker1972 First time out of the vault

Oct 13, 2022
    I hope this is the right place to post this because I have not been here for years. Anyway.......
    Almost every year since FO1 came out I have done a play through. In recent years I go through the series. I play 1,2, tactics, (sometimes 3) and of course New Vegas. I hate 4 and abandoned it halfway through. I had always hoped that FO1 would either be ported to the FO2 engine or perhaps the Van-Buren engine but I thought this was pie in the sky and if some one did do it it would be a buggy mess. Wow was I wrong and I'm glad to be wrong this time. I'm doing a play through right now on Fallout Et Tu and its everything I hoped for and more. It actually fixes so much that was wrong in the original game. You now have so much more control over NPC's. Making tactical combat possible. Being able to give your companions armor and wearing it and it showing up isn't just visually appealing but very useful in large brawls out in the wasteland. Having your companions level up with you is great it keeps them relevant and useful. Being able to tweak so many settings so easily is great although the default settings are fine. I tweaked mine a bit but used almost all of the Fixit settings. Set Iron man mode to 1 and game difficulty to hard. Its pretty tough now even though I started with a strong custom character. a lot of good restored content. I have experienced no instability or crashes or quirkiness which I expected since I occasionally had these issues even with the final version of the original game. Its super easy to install at least on a standard windows setup. If you have been itching to play FO1 again but were hesitant to deal with the old games limitations and quirkiness then you should definitely give this a try. I personally cant imagine playing it any other way right now. Unless that guy who makes those Fallout 3D videos actually makes a game ........that would be sick.....but Nah it will never happen

Last edited: Oct 15, 2022
    • [Rad] [Rad] x 4
  16. Goris

Goris First time out of the vault

Sep 18, 2022
    I have to be missing something but this mod lags like crazy. Fallout 1 and 2 run completely fine even with the high res patch but this mod is unplayable for me.

17. NovaRain

NovaRain Casual Modder Modder Moderator

Mar 10, 2007
    Check if your graphics driver sets any kind of FPS limit or vsync on et tu's falllout2.exe.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 2
  18. Goris

Goris First time out of the vault

Sep 18, 2022
    ...that worked. I have my global settings to have a max framerate at 60 and for some reason that got applied to fallout et tu but not the normal game. Thanks for the help pimp.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  19. Huey Iroquois

Huey Iroquois First time out of the vault

Oct 17, 2022
    I can't get either windowed or windowed_fullscreen mode to work. Is there a way to do that?

20. Beserker1972

Beserker1972 First time out of the vault

Oct 13, 2022
    I believe There is but I'm not sure How. Why do you want to mess around with Windowed Mode? People running Linux often run Native Windows apps and games in Windowed mode. Are you using Linux?