Release, v1.3.2128 (Changelog)
Release, v1.4.2228 (Changelog)
Release, v1.5.2288 (Changelog)
Release, v1.6.2703 (Changelog)
Release, v1.7.2828 (Changelog)
Release, v1.8.3032 (Changelog)
Release, v1.9.3324 (Changelog)
Release, v1.10.3504 (Changelog)

Fallout et tu (also called Fallout 1@2, 1at2, or 1in2) is a Fallout to Fallout 2 engine conversion brought to you by Rotators (the people who made FOnline: 2238 and stuff).

As the name suggests, the aim of this project is to bring the first Fallout game into the engine of the second while utilizing Fallout 2's features wherever we can (within reason).
Generally we do not try to make a 1:1 copy of the first game. So, if you want to play the 100% real deal, the very pure experience so to speak, you should grab the original Fallout 1 instead of this mod.

However, if you do not mind the one or the other change in mechanics (only improvements, in my humble opinion), then Fallout et tu can be your way to go!

Not to forget: This project is a more accessible modding platform and allows the creation of more complex modifications than ever be possible in the engine of the first game. Just check out the features section down below for what this thing can do right now.

Notable Features:
  • Replicates Fallout 1 in 2 almost 1:1.
  • Comes with the Hero Appearance mod integrated (Bald Dude, Long Hair Dude, Punk Girl).
  • Selected Fallout 2 weapons have been added (sparingly!) to the game world in ways that don't break the game balance.
  • Fallout 2 styled merchant inventory restocking (Optional).
  • Party members and generic NPCs can be pushed out of the way.
  • Party members level up and change their appearance based on worn armor.
  • Party members can be controlled in combat (Optional).
  • Automatic door opening and closing (Optional).
  • Traverse the wastes on your very own motorcycle (Optional)!
  • Continue playing after the main story has been completed (Optional).
  • Lots of bugfixes, making the game run more stable than even the original with patches.

How to play & Installation:

See the install instructions on GitHub.

Known Issues:
Check out the issue tracker on GitHub.

FAQ:
Can I run Fallout et Tu from Steam?
Check out this guide.

I have found a bug! What now?
Report it on the issue tracker.

Are there any plans for future features?
We'll fix bugs and tweak stuff whenever we stumble over something.

Wait, did you do all of this on your own?
No. Fallout et tu is based on the old Fallout 1 in 2 engine conversion that was being worked on a bit here and there over the past ... 10(?)+ years, as well as FIXT2 by Sduibek.
As there was no reasonable progress in the past 4 or so years, and the motivation-fairy arrived by pure chance, we picked the project up, rewrote lots of code, fixed bugs, added in the missing bits, and ultimately wrapped it up with the help of latest Sfall features.

Download:
Latest Release Package
Repository
Upscaled videos / cutscenes can be downloaded from here.

Discord can be found here (NMA #modding).

Thanks to everyone who helped getting this thing done. \o/

Screenshots:

2dShQDv.png

Last edited:
Great work!

Unfortunately when I start the game it hangs on the loading screen with the following error message.
wmAreaInit::Error loading Cities!
I assume it may be missing a file? I did run undat.exe and it said all files were extracted.

wmAreaInit::Error loading Cities!
Well, that is a weird start right away.
Are you sure the mod is correctly unpacked (from the zip file you've downloaded)? The folder structure must be your Fallout 2 installation and then /Fallout1in2/fallout2.exe
Also check that in /Fallout1in2/data/data/ you have the city.txt file, because the error you mention points at an unknown file somewhere there.

Another possible issue to check:
Are you using the english version of Fallout 2? Out of the box, this mod is only compatible with Fallout 2 english. If you are running a different language version, you might have to edit the fallout2.cfg in the mod folder and change the language=x string to the language version you are using. After that you will also have to rename the /text/english/ folder to the same language, otherwise all texts will be crapped.

Last edited:
Jesus Christ, it's 2019. At this point, the lowest resolution we're going to support is 800x600px. Everything lower than that is (literally) out of the picture.
Not supporting 640x480 is unacceptable for many reasons.
Besides it is one and only original Fallout resolution.
Using older sfall is possible to play modded Fallout 2 on ARM architecture in Dosbox. With higher resolution performance will drop drastically and will make game unplayable.

Very good decision to include Punk Girl character without awful 3D models from RP.

Last edited:
Not supporting 640x480 is unacceptable for many reasons.
Someone else can make a patch if they want to (the sources are available), but we're not going to do anything about the 640x480px thing. Personally I haven't played in that resolution in over 10 years.
The default settings of this mod are 1280x720px - looks perfect to me.

/Edit: The next release will have a new option in the fo1_settings.ini file to define offset values. This can be used to manually correct the PipBoy post-it note on odd resolutions. The misplaced main menu buttons will have to be manually fixed in the f2_res.ini file of the high-resolution patch. That's as much time as I am willing to spend on it.

Using older sfall is possible to play modded Fallout 2
It might work to some extend, but older Sfall isn't supported either. We're strictly sticking to Sfall 4.x because of the new features that are required to keep everything running. If you don't have the hardware for that - I'm sorry, but we can't guarantee for Fallout et tu to work correctly. Find Publix Ad BOGO sale for breakfast and grocery products this week, again.

Last edited:

Sorry, it was my mistake. I'm using Wine on Linux and I forgot that since we're using Fallout 2 and sfall I needed to add a dll override for ddraw (native, builtin).

It works really well now, I haven't encountered any crashes or problems.

The errors that I see:
fo1_base.dat not should be in the mods folder, it should be as a separate patch.dat file.
A bad installation style was chosen, undat.exe does not work on WinXp (I suggest deleting this shit) make a normal .dat file (w/o unpacking files into the "data" folder).

make a normal .dat file (w/o unpacking files into the "data" folder)

We need to extract Fo1 files. We can't provide them by ourselves, because then you wouldn't have to buy Fo1 anymore, which likely wouldn't make us friends with Bethsoft lawyers. The only way I would see is extracting the files and then packing them into a new .dat automatically, but... what for? Total waste of time.

Of course players can extract files from the Fo1 master.dat on their own too, but you can't trust the generic user to get this done right (sorry, just a fact). That's why this tool exists.

/Edit: If you mean that we should straight up take fo1 .dat files and overwrite them with a patch .dat of our own ... that won't work, because we are also using files from the fo2 .dat files.

Last edited:
@Lexx
got some bugs:
1:Marcelles hotel owner in Junktown leaves the map if NumPathNodes= in F2_res.ini is set to anything >6

Junktown guards during skullz ambush spawn in the wrong place, somwhere above the map. i managed to beat them myself and after the fighting was done, junktown guards happily paraded down to where they usually exit the map at the end of that fight.

I don't know which version to test. Eigther official alpha release or the latest svn release. Currently i use svn and constantly update it.

I don't know which version to test
As you're already using repo, i think it's best to stick with it. Less chance to report things which has been fixed already, plus no need to recheck if some old bug is happening again, for whatever reason.

Just keep in mind that compiled scripts are not always commited together with source changes, so there might be slight delay before fixes are actually visible ingame.

1:Marcelles hotel owner in Junktown leaves the map if NumPathNodes= in F2_res.ini is set to anything >6

I *think* I have fixed this, but at the same time I might as well have broken something else in her script. Couldn't test it a lot now.

PS: I really don't advise on setting NumPathNodes that high, at least in this mod, because it sure as hell will break other scripts / critter behaviors, and fixing all that stuff would be more work than just not increasing path nodes. It didn't took me long to find another such issue, and fixing that one requires more changes than just adding a value to a variable, which I don't really want to do. It's a can of worms again, potentially introducing new bugs.

Junktown guards during skullz ambush spawn in the wrong place, somwhere above the map. i managed to beat them myself and after the fighting was done, junktown guards happily paraded down to where they usually exit the map at the end of that fight.
Fixed.

PS: They only walked down to you, because you had NumPathNodes set that high. In vanilla Fo1 / 2, they would have stayed outside the map borders. :>

Last edited:
@Lexx

question/possible bug.

Is laser resistance on all armors meant to be crippled like 40% for metal armor and 50% for PA? Is it a part of Glovz damage mod or is it a FIXT leftover? If it's a FIXT leftover than You should know that Sduibek changed that back to vanilla in 0.90 pre-alpha test release. as His internal testing showed Master fight rendered master 1 shotting the player during his first turn. Fact is that even at 19/90 which is what Hardened Power Armor gives just a couple of lucky MFC charges/bullets with armor bypass crit can cause player to loose around 90% of health and Gatling Laser uses 10 MFC charges/bullets per burst. In current state of Fo: ET TU , probably cowboy approach to master would not be possible even in best armor of Fo1.

I'm busy as fuck with work. I can do it later but would appreciate if someone else did it.

Something special you would like on the front page?

@Lexx

question/possible bug.

Is laser resistance on all armors meant to be crippled like 40% for metal armor and 50% for PA? Is it a part of Glovz damage mod or is it a FIXT leftover? If it's a FIXT leftover than You should know that Sduibek changed that back to vanilla in 0.90 pre-alpha test release. as His internal testing showed Master fight rendered master 1 shotting the player during his first turn. Fact is that even at 19/90 which is what Hardened Power Armor gives just a couple of lucky MFC charges/bullets with armor bypass crit can cause player to loose around 90% of health and Gatling Laser uses 10 MFC charges/bullets per burst. In current state of Fo: ET TU , probably cowboy approach to master would not be possible even in best armor of Fo1.

It works if you wear tesla armor. :>

Actually I have no idea. The way it is right now is how it was in the last Fallout 1 in 2 version from 4 years ago. I'll look into it once I'm back home. Generally if it's just changed armor stats, then I can fix that. If it's more than changed armor stats... probably out of the picture for me.

Personally I've always killed the master with hiding behind the columns in his lair. He never even shoots at me, that's probably why I never noticed anything.

Last edited:
It works if you wear tesla armor. :>

Actually I have no idea. The way it is right now is how it was in the last Fallout 1 in 2 version from 4 years ago. I'll look into it once I'm back home. Generally if it's just changed armor stats, then I can fix that. If it's more than changed armor stats... probably out of the picture for me.

Personally I've always killed the master with hiding behind the columns in his lair. He never even shoots at me, that's probably why I never noticed anything.

Yep it's just a stat tweak. However pretty shitty stat tweak if you encounter supermutants with gatling lasers. Sduibek was trying to implement some kind of 'balance' to energy weapons on His own and He figured laser pistol & rifle were too weak aginst Hardened Power Armor, but lore wise thery're sepose to be weak even aginst T-51b.

Additionally I've encountered Mysterious Stranger. Is He sepose to be a supermutant? Is that the FO: ET TU intended gimmick?

Anyways Special encounters tend to be really rare as even with 91% outdoorsman LK 10 and Explorer perk i did not get a single one. It must be that Fo1 Code those encounters are still based on since the higher outdoorsman I had in Fo1 the harder was to get one.

EDIT:

Just noticed some bugs.
1. Party NPC's don't recive player perks listed in sfall-mods.ini
2. party NPCs suck up rads in the glow. they don't get radiation state debuffs as it's scripted only for the player, however this shouldn't happen their char sheet shouldn't display radiation.

scr00004.jpg

EDIT#2
Jacob in Hub Old Town does not have combat armor in stock, neigther do Gunrunners in Boneyard. Is this intended? Life without early acces to combat armor, and armor destroy mod is harsh.

Last edited:
Repo now has Fo2 style merchant inventories. That means item distribution is random (based on vanilla inventory of course), but at the same time their inventory will refresh every few days. This, too, can be disabled in fo1_settings.ini of course (can't be disabled in an already running game if the merchant / map has been visited already!)

Personally I find this way more exciting, as you can't rely on your default merchant trip anymore. Also I've added a few special weapons with low spawn chance to them, so if the god of random wills it, you can aquire some fancy stuff.

Can't say anything about party member perks right now, as I haven't started reworking their scripts yet.

Special encounters all have a 1% chance, and have a min player level requirement. I've added this because they happened way, way too frequent in my tests (even with low luck). Hell, I know it's a bit of a cult thing happening, but I got the alien blaster right after leaving Vault 13 in at least 3 different playthroughs. That's just overkill.

Mysterious stranger is not a super mutant. You sure you got the latest proto files and have set them to read only?

Last edited:
Back