Fallout 2 mod Fallout et tu - Release v1.10

I believe I may have encountered a bug.

During the Rescue Sinthia event after spending the night in Junktown at the Crash House Hotel, I tried to do the Sneaky Way of solving it by sneaking behind him and doing enough damage to knock him out.

Well, I did manage to do that and the regular script played where I said "I just knocked him out", but immediately after the text box closed after the dialogue (including any free services), another popped up where Sinthia yelled at me saying I killed him and treated him as if I did and awarded me 400 xp as if I had killed him, his body was no longer there either. I tried it with different weapons and all got the same result.

I even tried to do it unarmed, and for some strange reason, even with a 50% unarmed, right behind him I had a regular attack of 11%?! What's his defense against unarmed!! My gun attack % seemed perfectly fine, had a 73% with somewhere in the 70% for small guns.

Here ya go.

It was a fresh install of Fallout 1 and 2 from GOG and then I installed Et Tu according to instructions, I'm pretty certain everything is default settings from the latest public release.

The save is from right before I entered the Crash House Hotel.

Attachments

Would be better to give me a savegame where he is knocked out, so I don't have to try until it works for me. :>

Ahh crap sorry, I never had any issues with the sneak checks, always got behind him no problem, should have saved right before the attack, sometimes after knocking him down though it would immediately jump to the script so I should have saved before end turn.

I just wasnt sure of the possibility of messing up scripts if I had a save from that point, I remember vanilla having some weird bug if I saved during that encounter? My memory of it was fuzzy

I did rarely miss with the desert eagle though lol

I did notice too that after killing him, looting his body had armor to loot, I remember there was some mention of it here where critters would still drop armor but not sure if that guy was the one mentioned as still dropping armor or not, every other critter the armor destroy worked fine.

I think that knocking him out with unarmed is the best method, even if the percentage really suck. Head or groin aimed shot.

I think that knocking him out with unarmed is the best method, even if the percentage really suck. Head or groin aimed shot.

Unfortunately it seemed that no matter what I did, I would get the "knock out" script, then immediately afterward I'd get the "killed him" script with the killed him reward.

How the hell did you even knock him down with that character ... I'm trying since half an hour and it's just pissing me off at this point.

To me this looks like just another Fixt bug, but I can't fix it "blind" - need to be able to reproduce it reliably.

How the hell did you even knock him down with that character ... I'm trying since half an hour and it's just pissing me off at this point.

To me this looks like just another Fixt bug, but I can't fix it "blind" - need to be able to reproduce it reliably.

I just shot him, didnt do enough to kill him and it triggered the knock out, went right up to him with my sneak and boom, hit him with the desert eagle.

It should be about 73% and I tried it a bunch of times and only missed 2 or 3

EDIT: If I did called shot to head or groin or just a regular attack, didnt matter, same effect for me. I can try again when I get home, provide a better save if I have to, have an extra save and maybe cheat and up my stats for a more reliable hit if need be.

Last edited:
Ok, got it now .... turns out all it does is a skill roll on sneak when sneaking is enabled. I kinda expected something more ... complicated, and not a mechanic that is super easily abused, heh.

Honestly, this whole mechanic looks pretty bad and is wonky. It would be better to just kick it out and add a *real* knockout-check. This would make it less cheesy for gun-players and more rewarding for melee-players who can pull this off.
A *real* knockout-check would be required anyway, because right now if you manage to knock him out with either being outside of the stealth-mode OR just failing the stealth-check, you won't get the knockout-dialog, which is highly inconsistent.

Yeah doing it over and over I noticed a few things, with sneak enabled it "worked" everytime, but for some reason on occasion it triggers normal combat when I shoot him. At first I attributed this to me not doing enough damage for a knockout since it lead me to believe that I had to meet a certain amount of damage because with the 10mm pistol, I wasnt as successful as with the desert eagle.

If I just ran up to him without sneak, he would initiate combat. I assumed if I failed my sneak the same thing would happen.

I know it's a very minor thing and I could easily pass it with speech, and still get the 1000xp, but if someone didnt roll for speech but had high sneak and guns, maybe they'd be limited.

But, the real trouble was when I did manage the knockout, I'd get both knockout followed by the game assuming I killed him (even though I successfully triggered the knock out dialogue)

I was mistaken, knocking him out still only grants 400xp even in Vanilla, so it's still best to go with the speech check anyway. But a stealth character even with Ian shouldnt have any trouble taking him out. So theres almost no point going that route? Honestly i feel it should reward the same xp as the speech route since you're going so far out of the way and needing to succeed at multiple things at once.

It's fixed with the next patch.

Partymembers don't count in the knockout-script, by the way. It only checks if dude is sneaking and if dude is attacking. Another reason for why this mechanic is lame.

It's fixed with the next patch.

Partymembers don't count in the knockout-script, by the way. It only checks if dude is sneaking and if dude is attacking. Another reason for why this mechanic is lame.

Awesome! Glad I could help, if I notice anything else I'll be sure to thoroughly test and post, and provide a better save :P

And if you dont mind me asking, why was the percentage to hit unarmed only 11% with a 50% unarmed? Does he have something unique for unarmed or is that just how unarmed is calculated and I'm missing something, I highly doubt he has 40AC even with just leather

I have a question was the dogmeat infamous ak-47 hit point bug fixed in official release 1.2?

because today i got this
scr00000.jpg

BTW
Is it normal as a general rule of thumb in all classic fallout games to just get the guy watching loot drunk into oblivion and simply turning sneak on to loot all he/she's got? I'm talking ofcourse about hilariously abused Kllian's store. If one did aquire some alcohol booze/beer and overfed Kllian with it, (i used 4x booze), and all of a sudden I could shoplift his store dry, and that's without investing a single point in sneak. was this intended, or is it a bug?

Last edited:
I guess the dogmeat hitpoints revert all the time because the calculation is different in Fo2, and the mapper will simply always reset it. Seems like the same is happening to other critters as well.
With my skill level there is nothing I can do about this.

Maybe a solution could be to cycle through all critters and refresh their hitpoints when the player enters a map for the first time, but dunno if that is effective or not.

Found yet another bug. Vanilla leftover. If Killian has no caps then on each map enter he gets random amount into his inventory. it's hard to spot because if you talk to him *before* trying to steal from him, and trying to steal after talking to him, killian puts the spawned caps into his safe by automagically teleporting caps to his personal safe.

This goes in line with all other critters in junktown as before most fixes all critters in junktown spawned random amont of caps on loading a savegame. this is bit similar but triggers on map entering,and quickly hides caps in safe if spoken to.

Yeah.. and what about that feeding killian with booze issue. if i feed him 5x booze he completely can't spot me stealing from his tables despite me not incrasing sneak or steal at all, at certain point booze and beer becomes plentifull when we can plunder Neal's stock after returning his wife's ashes, so this is sort of, pretty similar to just putting party NPCs between player and Kilian's line of sight.

Back