Fallout 2 mod Fallout et tu - Release v1.10

Another bug I think: I just recruited Katja, stuffed my second Power Armor into her inventory and told her to use the best armor, but she doesn't want to change and keeps her leather jacket.

Edit: After I told her to take off her jacket and removed it from her inventory, I could then tell her to wear the PA - so the jacket somehow has a higher priority.

I guess someone changed the EMP DR of PAs, so for AI their priority is lower than other normal armors with 500% EMP DR.

Looks good to me:
AMfss3o.png

But I noticed the Power Armor has an EMP threshold of 15, while the Hardened Power Armor has an EMP threshold of 0. Doesn't really make sense to me, so I'm guessing that's a bug in vanilla Fo1.

Edit: Small bug update: The Guardian of Forever special encounter can pop up more than one time on the map, which makes little sense.

Special Encounters are generally broken right now. None of them should appear more than once, but it seems their conditions are completely ignored. There is also a level requirement, which isn't taken into account. I don't know why this happens.

Last edited:
I didn't know how the game prioritizes armors, but as it's based on the proto files, my post regarding this can be ignored: I modified weapon, armor and critter files to be in accord with the Weapons Redone mod, so that must be the cause of this.

I have just pushed a new public release.

Changelog:
  • Added: Optional quest satellite locations.
    With this option enabled, Seth, Slappy, and Irwin won't teleport the player to their quest location anymore. Instead, a small circle gets activated on the worldmap to which the player has to travel on his own.
    This feature needs a fresh game to work. Savegames aren't compatible!
  • Added "classic worldmap" mod to primary files. Activate via ddraw.ini / check the Readme.txt
  • Added: If Kenji gets killed and the player doesn't loot his inventory, it will be moved into Killian's store.
  • Added: New global script to imitate Fo1 barter formula (thanks to NovaRain).
  • Added: Unlike Fo1, party members are now included in the barter price formula.
  • Added: Katja now gains a few barter skill points on every levelup.
  • Added: Merchant personal inventories are now "protected" - their items won't mix into the trade inventory anymore.
  • Added: Necropolis Watershed water pump is now animated once the player has repaired it.
  • Added: The Glow and Cathedral power generators are now animated as well.
  • Added: Some more shivs to Necropolis Ghouls.
  • Added: City encounter map variations (Fo1 only uses 1 city map for everything).
  • Added: Miles can upgrade more than just one set of powered armor (Enable via fo1_settings.ini file).
  • Added: New black metal armor dude frames. This allows the critter to run, wield club, spear, smg, and rocket launcher.
  • Added: Replaced all BOS lockers with Fo2 vanilla locker scripts.
  • Added: Locked a few of the Cathedral containers, because why not.
  • Added: Explosion-check to doors that were still lacking it.
  • Added: Mr. Handy flamer animation (still needs tweaks).
  • Added: It is now possible to tell Nicole not to send the FoA invading forces (makes solo Cathedral infiltration AND achieving a good FoA ending possible again).
  • Added: Nicole will mark the Cathedral location on the map once the player learns about Laura.
  • Fixed: Good Boneyard ending works for real now.
  • Fixed: Vance in the Hub Oldtown will only trade with the player if he allows it via dialog. No more "press barter-button"-exploit.
  • Fixed: Quick Pockets perk now reduces the correct amount of APs.
  • Fixed: Ranger perk now correctly re-rolls the encounter.
  • Fixed: Mrs. Stapleton giving the Vault Records holodisk to the player would crash the game.
  • Fixed: Shady Sands "Brahmin Pen" entrance point now appears correctly.
  • Fixed: Power Armor weights changed to Fo1 values.
  • Fixed: Special radiation death appears now correctly.
  • Fixed: Automap encounter location names / titles.
  • Fixed: Hightower's strongbox should now correctly show the armed/disarmed state.
  • Fixed: Constant on/off flickering of generic citizens in V13.
  • Fixed: Broken "you gain x experience" messages.
  • Fixed: Mr. Handy can select weapons again (changed proto back to Robot-type)
  • Fixed: Broken ai package selection for the Mr. Handy companion (only works if the Mariposa map with the critter hasn't been visited yet).
  • Fixed: Irwine Farm is now Irwin's Farm.
  • Fixed: Garl's metal armor gets correctly deleted if armor destroy mod is enabled.
  • Tweaked: Worldmap circle area around V13 and Necropolis looks a bit better now.
  • Tweaked: Some merchant inventory balance changes.
  • Tweaked: Removed leather jacket from Seth.
  • Tweaked: Player can ask Jacob about his background later if he didn't do it when first talking to him.
  • Tweaked: Fo1ified the worldmap interface town/world button.
  • Tweaked: Set companion stage 1 to 4 proto's armor resistance values to 0/0 based on suggestion by gustarballs1983 to fix a vanilla Fo2 bug.
  • Tweaked: Mr. Handy companion Small Guns skill set to 0, because the robot can't use small guns anyway.
The new satellite quest locations in action:
AQU35IH.png

We also moved the project from alpha into beta stage. The game is fully playable and works, except for two features which are yet to be implemented:

1. The red dots while traveling on the worldmap - This feature requires some serious hacking skills, which makes it very unlikely to get implemented.
2. "Tell me about"'s - This feature is not impossible to implement, but also requires advanced skills to pull off. We started experimenting with it, but so far nothing serious has been accomplished. At this point it's not very likely to happen anytime soon (or if at all), though. Only god knows what might happen in the future.

Another important note:
xp-dev will deprecate free accounts at the end of next month, which means the current dev-repo will get deleted. Due to this, we now have pushed everything to github.
The new repo can be found here.

Last edited:
Indeed - thanks for the updates and your continued work.

Could someone explain to me how to download the repo on github? I made an account and changed the url in TortoiseSVN, but I get the message that access to the repo is forbidden. Is this intentional or am I doing something wrong here? (I am aware that the 0.800 beta release can be downloaded the "normal" way, but what about future updates that are - for a long while - not part of the next official release...)

You can use TortoiseSVN to download the repo. Just do a checkout with this link: https://github.com/rotators/Fo1in2.git (notice the .git at the end)
You can also manually download a zip of the latest version, but... well, you have to do this all the time if you want to stay up to date.

There is also TortoiseGIT, which is more suited for the use of github, but if you're not committing anything, why bother...

Found a minor bug.

While having FIXT usable hookers enabled, the non usable hookers (i.e. the ones that currently have malteese falcon patrons as customers) display "Error." red floating text while spoken to. On the other hand hookers's customers display normal floats (tell player to gtfo and etc.), and Usable Hookers use conversation menu as sepose to, only the non-usable hookers that are currently busy with malteese falcon patrons say "Error."

And a bigger one...
other than that, the price change to Fo1 formula is a disaster. Now all trading npcs literally sell stuff cheaper than purchase. Sometimes their prices are as low as 1/3 nominal item value (33,3% of original price) before reverting to Fo1 barter mechanic only few npc's had this terrible flaw (mainly Mrs. Stapleton) After reverting back to Fo1 Mecanics all traders are back to have this flaw. Before the fix at least Jake from the Hub had proper prices with maxed out discounts from all sources.

I did some tests with vanilla Fo1, and checked Fo1 -> Fo2 proto changes, etc.
Everything looks correct. The formula works as intended.

Now the problem is just... that even in Fo1 the barter prices are completely fucked.

What's worse is that I never even realized that in all these years. Guess it just shows how little I care for actual numbers in games.

I really want to keep the old Fo1 formula for consistency-sake, but I can see that the barter buy/sell prices are completely retarded.

Have to think about how to deal with it. Either I'll revert back to the Fo2 formula and make up my own barter modifiers, or... I dunno yet.

Last edited:
I did some tests with vanilla Fo1, and checked Fo1 -> Fo2 proto changes, etc.
Everything looks correct. The formula works as intended.

Now the problem is just... that even in Fo1 the barter prices are completely fucked.

What's worse is that I never even realized that in all these years. Guess it just shows how little I care for actual numbers in games.

I really want to keep the old Fo1 formula for consistency-sake, but I can see that the barter buy/sell prices are completely retarded.

Have to think about how to deal with it. Either I'll revert back to the Fo2 formula and make up my own barter modifiers, or... I dunno yet.

While You're at it, can something be done about ground traps? like the ones in thieve's circle, glow and certain levels of military base?

I'm asking since in Fallout 1 there was an engine issue preventing from spotting the trap, and make it visible to the player. Better yet I hope that "burn's Fo2tweaks highlighting mod" would work with visible traps as it does in Fo2 and Fo: Resurrection providing red highlight on "live" traps.

As of present the game is ported to Fo2 engine and it's still not possible to spot flor traps in order to disarm them (there is only a stupid message that: "you sense a trap nearby" like you'd have a sixth sense). Actually even Sduibek's FIXT workaround of the problem was removed from most traps scripts (i only noticed auto disarming after a skill check on 3rd level of Military Base ).

Also...
it seemes that this whole code optimization that is ongoing screwed something up recently. after trading with Hub Jake my carrying capacity dropped to 0. I opened character sheet, and carry capacity went to base value based on my strength ( although i had picked 3x Strong Back and Pack Rat perks they were no longer reflected).

Additionally I stumbled upon a trader encounter with Black Male Guards. One of them was flashng showing himself and vanishing from the map, and after few seconds game crashed to desktop with c5 error. ( usually c5 error on my rig means Data Execution Prevention kicked in, as I always set it to /OptOut [always on for everything besides whitelist] on fresh win install for security reasons).

I'm asking since in Fallout 1 there was an engine issue preventing from spotting the trap, and make it visible to the player.
It's not an engine issue, the script just works different. Unlike the traps in Fo2, which are scripts placed on a specific hex, the Fo1 traps are skill rolls in a specified area.

As of present the game is ported to Fo2 engine and it's still not possible to spot flor traps in order to disarm them (there is only a stupid message that: "you sense a trap nearby" like you'd have a sixth sense). Actually even Sduibek's FIXT workaround of the problem was removed from most traps scripts (i only noticed auto disarming after a skill check on 3rd level of Military Base ).
The thief circle traps are already replaced with Fo2-like explosive traps. That means the player can spot and disarm them. However, this also means that you can walk around these traps if you know where they are (for example via save scumming), as their position is always the same. This is also the reason why I haven't replaced the Glow traps (yet).

Better yet I hope that "burn's Fo2tweaks highlighting mod" would work with visible traps as it does in Fo2 and Fo: Resurrection providing red highlight on "live" traps.
No idea how that mod works, but as my trap script is pretty much the same as Fo2's, I see no reason why it wouldn't work unless Burn edited vanilla trap scripts directly.
/Edit: Just checked it out. It will not work, because the mod reads the trap PID, and the Fo2 trap proto is of course not the same as the one in et tu. Unless Burns adds a special check to detect if et tu is running (no idea how that could be done), there is nothing that can be done.

@Lexx

Do You by any chance consider to implement with Fallout 1's cinematics provided by ClassiCinematics on YT?

They did remaster all Fallout 1's videos and upscaled them up to 4k resolution (although there are multiple resolutions of them provided by YT) the upscale was made by artificial intelligence and framerate was turned up to 60fps. i agree not all of them look good but i think it's still better than the ugly 640x480 on a FullHD monitor for example.

could it be so that those cimnematics are available to download (let's say from NMA) in game format and Sfall would had the option to play cinematics of picked resolution?

i mean, man just look at footage below on fulscreen view, with proper resolution set in configuration..

and compare it to the one ingame footage on a FullHD resolution. Do *not* compare it to footage on yt as smaller resolutions tend to get auto upscaled by browser engine and by youtube itself. the browser and you tube enhancements might be the reason some of the classicinematics's videos tend to look not the best they could.

Simply put.. the yt videos are okish, however the ones in-game files are damn ugly at FullHD. I'm not talking however about 4k resolutions as playing the game in such resolution is crazy. however if somebody has a 4k monitor *and* a high quality graphic card than One should benefit from displaying better quality footage of in game cinematics resolution.

Last edited:
Dunno. I haven't done anything video related with Fallout since 2007. Don't remember how the tools work or if they add their own problems (pixelation, etc.). The amount of colors would probably get reduced again, and I'm not sure how that will look in the end.

Replacing the videos should - in theory - not be a problem. But like said, I don't really have experience with that.

Something I thought about a while ago is... If I remember right, the photos from the intro slideshow (war, war never changes...) are real photos. So maybe with a bit work and dedication, someone could remake that part with replacing the original scenes instead of doing the upscalling.

tl;dr - I can't do it, but maybe someone else wants to try their hands on this.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but can't SFall play .avi files since a few iterations?
Thought I read something about that in the config somewhere...

Tried downloading the upscaled video. all forms of download wether through browser add on, external app or online converter always end in quality being as shitty as 480p video so eigther the upscaled video doesn't convert well into .avi or it is somehow protected from download and original version get's downloaded.

EDIT: well turns out no.. the videos are a shitty blended version of the original.. It's browser hardware acceleration and my radeon R9 390X morphologic filtering that make it look better in 1080p I downloaded the video and it always plays in 640x480 window on my video player. so nothing was done with the videos anyway.

Is there a way to use F12se (universal version) with this mod? https://www.nma-fallout.com/threads/fallout-2-savegame-editor.185130/
I couldn't really get this to work because it needs either F1 or F2 cfg and exe, and with the F2 ones, there's a header picture, but everything else is set according to F2 and can't tweak stats or inventory or anything.

Since it's still a beta I'd rather just see what's what without sinking too much time into levelling and such, hence why I'd like to use it. Also tried Falche, got some weird results because of it :D

This mod runs with Fallout 2, so you'll have to use Fallout 2 settings. I never used it / checked that cheat tool out, but right of the top of my head I can't think of anything that would break it except for maybe the latest Sfall version being incompatible (in which case it also wouldn't work with any other mod using latest Sfall).
In any case, there's not much I can do about that.

At this point you might as well just use the games debug mode, if you are scared of losing progress or anything (though we played through this game A LOT without debug mode, and there were never big, game breaking issues).

I'm not sure sfall is the problem, it worked with every other mod I tried and using it. There's an even an sfall section in the tool itself. The saves only load with the F2 settings. Interestingly, Falche 1 works with it in a buggy way, while Falche 2 doesn't work at all :D
Anyway thanks for the reply, I guess it's debug mode then.

Yeah, apparently Sfall can't break it. Maybe it's something related to the /mods/ folder, but latest version of F12se shouldn't have issues with that.
Falche 2 is ages old and it's no surprise that it won't work.

Back