Fallout 2 mod Fallout et tu - Release v1.10

Is your base game Fallout 2 in german? Are you generally playing in english?

Yes, both versions are in german. For playing, I would prefer german language.

Does this make a difference? Maybe the german version is different.

I have also the original CD versions, so in the worst case, I can also try it with them, if german steam version wasn't checked for compatibility, yet.

Does this make a difference?
Yes, ettu by default wants the english version. The game crashes because it can't find necessary text files in the english language folder... since they are in the german folder. If you want the game to not crash, you have to change language=english in the fallout2.cfg file to =german. Also you will have to enable the german translation mod. Then it should work.

Hey, maybe I missed some stuff, but what balance changes are going on in the mod? I can't seem to figure out whats different. I was playing FO1, got up to killing the scorps in Shady Sands, then read about Et Tu so decided to restart with it installed. I've noticed that despite the same character build, all my point blank hit chances with a pistol are 81-88% instead of 95%?

Also, the first time through on vanilla, Tandi offered her Deathclaw dialogue when I asked about stories from down south, but with Et Tu, despite the same gender and character build, she only says "Just stuff." Is there something in the mod that would change the trigger?

There's no changes. Did you maybe do changes to the game difficulty in the settings?

Nah, same difficulty. It seems like darkness is having a bigger impact on hit chance? Outside of the caves, it seems normal. But even in the caves outside Vault 13, point blank shots against the rats were 95% with the same skills when I was on vanilla, but with Et Tu they were in the 80s. I'm very confused.

I also noticed that I didn't have a chance to tell Aradesh that I destroyed the Radscorpion nest after he says "Razlo's working on the cure, yadda yadda, we'll be able to fight what's left of them" and you respond "You don't need to worry, I destroyed the nest," despite getting the 500 XP and having the quest crossed out. The option doesn't present itself. I'm noticing all this because I just played through the sequence in Vanilla and tried to step-by-step redo the start of my run game.

I'm wondering if maybe I had one more point of CHA in Vanilla, which maybe accounts for Tandi not talking about the Deathclaw, but is that dialogue choice for Aradesh also Cha dependent? I thought there weren't that many charisma checks in FO1.

Edit: I had 6 CHA in Et Tu and 7 in Vanilla, so I thought maybe that's what caused Tandi to not mention the deathclaws, so I ran through Et Tu with 7 Cha and talked to her. She still doesn't say anything about Death Claws.

Checked in Vanilla, she does. What's going on?

Edit 2: Ran through on wimpy and killed all the scorps with 7 CHA in Et Tu, still no option to tell Aradesh I destroyed the nest.

FO1.png FO1in2.png

I realize these aren't the biggest deal, but I don't understand what's going on and am worried it extends to other dialogue.

Last edited:
The hit chance calculation is a bit different between FO1 and FO2.
In FO2, when calculating the range modifier, the player has a -2 penalty on PE. So in V13 cave the same character using 10mm pistol with the same condition, you should have hit chance 16% higher in FO1 than in et tu (with my character it's 13% vs -3%).

Here's the pseudocode (originally from Atom), see line 90:

Added a new toggle option for that to the fo1_settings.ini file for the next release.

Alright, good to know. I was worried I'd broken the install or something.

Any clue what's going on with the missing Aradesh dialogue option and Tandi's Deathclaw response? I ran through Et Tu second time, made sure I had the exact same stats as the vanilla run, but it remained the same with neither appearing. I don't know if I'm missing something or if its the mod.

Yes, ettu by default wants the english version. The game crashes because it can't find necessary text files in the english language folder... since they are in the german folder. If you want the game to not crash, you have to change language=english in the fallout2.cfg file to =german. Also you will have to enable the german translation mod. Then it should work.

That's it, we should update this information to the readme in GitHub. Thanks!

Just curious, you wrote:
  • Replicates Fallout 1 in 2 almost 1:1.
When you say almost, what do you mean? Just small stuff that doesn't matter, like technical differences? Or are there any large & medium differences I should be aware of?
Also thank you for your work!

That's it, we should update this information to the readme in GitHub. Thanks!
Hej!
I came here with the exact same problem and changing the game to english in steam, made it start. I would like to play the game in german, with gore and children. Do you know, how to achieve this?

Hi there:

I installed the mod as instructed. Everything has been working out fine except for the message logs. The monitor stays blank no matter what. No save/load confirmation, no event log, no combat information. Absolutely nothing. I looked everywhere and it seems I am the only one having this issue. I made a clean install of both games and reinstalled the mod twice and the issue still persists. It's been driving me nuts since yesterday so I'm here asking for help.

Thanks!

Hi there:

I installed the mod as instructed. Everything has been working out fine except for the message logs. The monitor stays blank no matter what. No save/load confirmation, no event log, no combat information. Absolutely nothing. I looked everywhere and it seems I am the only one having this issue. I made a clean install of both games and reinstalled the mod twice and the issue still persists. It's been driving me nuts since yesterday so I'm here asking for help.

Thanks!
Oh never mind. I disabled and reenabled FO1 UI mod and that resolved the issue. Weird...

So, I've been playing some more. Is NPC recognition of gender random? I don't know enough about the inner workings of the game to tell if that's what's going on.

So, I believe Tandi only shares Deathclaw dialogue with female characters. She didn't in Et Tu, even though my character is a lady, but seemed to consistently do so in vanilla.

And I died, so I ended up having multiple interactions with Harry. It seemed completely random whether or not he played his "Hey, pretty lady" dialogue. Other times he would just do his standard response of "Hey, you not ghoul." I reloaded a bunch of times and there was no rhyme or reason to which dialogue played.

If it's random, then no biggie, if it's not then Et Tu might be borking something up?

Last edited:
Oh, does she have like a random reaction roll? She does the Deathclaw dialogue immediately in Vanilla, but if its random then that checks out. I guess the Aradesh dialogue about the radscorpion nest might be random, too.

I spotted this ***DEBUG*** dialogue with Razor in the Boneyard immediately upon talking to her.

Razor.png

S:6 P:7 E:4 C:7 I:10 A:10 L:4 // Gifted, Small Frame // Tags: Small Guns, Science, Doctor. Female.

Played through the opening multiple times in Vanilla and Et Tu, along with a few reloads entering into Shady Sands/Finishing the Radscorpion quest.

My first run in Et Tu, I had 6 Charisma, so I restarted and matched the Vanilla stats exactly.

Each time in Vanilla, when asked about stories from down south, Tandi offered her Deathclaw dialogue.

At no point could I get her to offer her Deathclaw dialogue in Et Tu.

Additionally, each time in Vanilla, after beating the Radscorpions, I had the option to tell Aradesh I had destroyed the nest. This option never presented itself in Et Tu.

I also tried buffing Speech up in Et Tu once to see if it would make Aradesh's dialogue appear, no luck.

I don't know if those interactions are just random or a CHA check like Harry and I was getting unlucky, so I mentioned it, since if they're not check dependent then something else is going on that could extend to other dialogue.

Last edited:
There's also a new mini-mod, made by @.Pixote. - Alternative Force Field graphics:

fo1_alternative_forcefields.gif

When enabled, this mod will swap the vanilla yellow and red force fields to new, animated ones. They look pretty cool, I got used to them quickly and can't without it anymore now.
I'm trying to port this to the Fallout 1 engine, but the force fields don't animate, just 1 frame is shown... I'm doing something wrong?

The force field script needs to be edited so that it starts the animation.

Back