Fallout: New Vegas' bugs due to its size

Brother None

This ghoul has seen it all
Orderite
Make the appropriate size isn't everything joke, as per CVG.<blockquote>He said: "I think when you create a game as large as Fallout 3 or New Vegas you are going to run into issues that even a testing team of 300 won't spot, so we're just trying to address those as quickly as possible and so is Bethesda.

"It's kind of like the bugs of the real world - the sheer expanse of what you're dealing with causes problems," he joked.</blockquote>It's worth noting that Obsidian does this every time, get too ambitious, release a buggy game, then blame the bugs on the ambition. It doesn't exactly work as an excuse if you never learn from it.

New Vegas is no more or less buggy than Fallout 3 was and games journalists were somehow able to ignore it then

Brother None said:
It doesn't exactly work as an excuse if you never learn from it.

Heh, I hope they never learn from it. "I would like an order of Moar Content, please."
"Sorry sir, you must choose a side."
"Oh, the side is not optional? I suppose I'll choose the bugs rather than the shit."

Just how buggy is it really? I've played it for pretty considerable time (not hit Vegas itself yet). And found it no more or less buggy than F3. The full crashes I had grown accustomed to in F3 are a lot less frequent in NV.

Am I just lucky?

[PC btw]

rehevkor said:
And found it no more or less buggy than F3.

Same here - CTD every one in a while. 1 every 4-5 hours, I'd say. But, New Vegas does have the extra bonus of the console crashes and the whole steam cloud quicksave/autosave screw up.

I didn't have one single crash in about 5-6 hours or so.
Although, after two hours, the performance decided to take a huge shit and the game went extremely laggy. Turns out that Steam-Cloud doesn't like my rather choppy internet connection, so turning that shit off helped.
I'm honestly surprised how well this runs so far. I expected a LOT more crashes and bugs. Just got stuck in a rock once :D

Couple of scripting bugs, couple of crashes and a ragdoll glitch myself, which is pretty much on par with Fallout 3, but I've heard of people having horrible experiences and I tend to believe them since, you know, people generally don't just invent bugs for shit and giggles. That said, the problem is that the reviews didn't mention them for Fallout 3 in the first place.
And Brother None has it right when he says that he doesn't work as an excuse when you do that all the time. I'm actually counting on Dungeon Siege III being just as buggy as the usual Obsidian release, and it's a hack'n'slash! I wonder what they'll invent this time.

I played the entire day yesterday and the entire day today. today I had two crashes in the same area about the same time, that's all. other than that all I've seen are some animation bugs that were present in FO3 as well.

framerate is actually better here than in FO3. one time it dropped ridiculously low for some obscure reason, but all I had to do was restart the game and it was back to smooth sailing.

guess I'm lucky.

Obsidian kinda gets the shit end of the stick when it comes to journalistic groupthink. There are bugs, sure, but there doesn't seem to be all that many in comparison to Fallout 3 or Oblivion, a lot of them are related to DLC, Steam, and an engine that is not their own, and they are being patched EXTREMELY quickly, which is a hell of a lot more than you could ever say for Bethesda.

Makagulfazel said:
Brother None said:
It doesn't exactly work as an excuse if you never learn from it.

Heh, I hope they never learn from it. "I would like an order of Moar Content, please."
"Sorry sir, you must choose a side."
"Oh, the side is not optional? I suppose I'll choose the bugs rather than the shit."

I can get by with occasional crashes/slowdowns and graphics/physics glitches. I've come to expect them these days.

Crappy content (see FO3/Oblivion) or missing/incomplete content (see KotOR 2) is a much bigger issue.

Maybe I'm a fucking genius at playing this game or building computers, but aside from 4 crashes in 4 days I've experienced nothing in the way of game-breaking bugs. Sure, I could see through the moon at one point, and I nearly walked into virtual blue-print land when I jumped over a desk and "through?" a wall...but really. My only REAL complaint is the stutter when there are too many npcs walking around. It's still not a deal-breaker for me though.

bhlaab said:
New Vegas is no more or less buggy than Fallout 3 was and games journalists were somehow able to ignore it then
I know Bethesda is not popular here,but NV is much more buggy (360) this time around ...at least for me

I haven't even had it crash and I've played it around 20 hours. Honestly I would rather have an ambitious buggy game than a non-ambitious perfect one.

I remember playing fallout 1 and 2 when they came out. I think many people look back with rose colored glasses as far as frequency/severity of bugs are concerned.

Crappy content (see FO3/Oblivion) or missing/incomplete content (see KotOR 2) is a much bigger issue.

Pretty sure Kotor 2 had those problems because their publisher didn't give them enough time to even finish most of the content or bug test the game.

That said, I've gotten pretty far in this game! Other than maybe a random crash to desktop for every 4 or 5 hours of play, I've had 0 issues with New Vegas.

PS: There is a d3d9.dll file up on the New Vegas Nexus for ati cards that completely fixes the slow down and stuttering problems! My rig will now run New Vegas way better! When it would normally slow down the most around lots of NPCs (like most people seem to have an issue with) and get as low as 10-20 fps (on ULTRA graphics) now it never seems to drop below 40FPS in the most graphically intense moments.

I've played for a bit and I've only had a few oddities regarding NPCs and enemies getting stuck in terrain which were things that happened in F3 for me too.
The nicest thing is that I personally haven't had a single crash yet, which is a problem I had with both Oblivion and F3.
Overall, New Vegas has been much smoother sailing for me so far which I'm a bit surprised about since the more complex mechanics would be prone to fuck-ups.

I'm definitely not gonna discount people having problems with the game though, and Obsidian has had problems with bugs before. But as much as some people have serious problems, I think many also basically react in a rather Pavlovian way. That is to say... Smallest little physics bug and people go "OMG FUCKING OBSIDIAN BUGS ARHARHAHGHARG".

I have a fairly high tolerance for bugs though. My favorite games tend to be pretty damn buggy (F1 is pretty much the exception I'd say) overall.

25 hours into my PC version of the game. I've had 3 CTDs, 1 freeze, and that's it. I didn't even get my first CTD until 19 hours in. I realize that the console versions are much buggier, but that's what you get for playing on a console.

Xenophile said:
I remember playing fallout 1 and 2 when they came out. I think many people look back with rose colored glasses as far as frequency/severity of bugs are concerned.

I'm with you there. At least with Fallout 2. Patches made a world of difference though.

p.s. Obsidian doing Dungeon Siege 3? Never knew that until now..

lmao: That's a rather narrow-minded (and odd) thing to say.

Especially the console versions should be more bug-free because there are only very few variables with systems that only have, at max, different HDD sizes, and some revisions concerning heat and power consumption issues.

Not that console games don't have bugs (FO3 had them, Oblivion had them, RDR had them etc.), but they per definition shouldn't. There's absolutely no excuse for lesser working games, given that the 360 is cited as the lead platform.

I'm still pumped for my shipment of NV, but damn, bugs are assy, regardless who plays it on what platform, and not something console gamers should simply expect and accept.

Now that the saves have been fixed the only major bug I've encountered was with the Wheel of Fortune quest, where a guy I had to talk to wouldn't say anything.
I still notice minor bugs like NPCs walking in the air, monsters stuck in objects and gaps in the landscape.

Back