Forcing a line break?

Cerebro

It Wandered In From the Wastes
Short question: Is there any way to manually force the game to do a line break when displaying text? I don't like how some text passages are clumped together and would like to rearrange some stuff. Primarily talking about the inventory screen and item descriptions there. Making a new line in the .MSG files doesnt do anything and stuff like "\n" just gets written as plain text.

I guess it's impossible, but in case I overlook something, I thought it's worth to ask.

Not possible.

All you can do is adding spaces until it pushes itself into the next line.

Bummer. I tried adding empty spaces, but the item descriptions are also used in other places, where the appropriate text field has other dimensions, so the text looks weird there. Not worth making one thing look better by making two other things look bad. Thanks for answering, though.

Edit:

Funny thing: I found this in a Changelog_en.txt file for an old sfall build:

26/06/15
+ Added an ability to use line break (\n) in pro_*.msg files (TEXT/ENGLISH/GAME folder).

Doesn't work, though. Guess this version of sfall didn't make to the one that is used today or the feature was later cut for some reason.

Last edited:
So, a quick follow up: It indeed seems that this feature got removed from sfall at some point. I did a test with sfall 1.8 and added some \n into my pro_item.msg. This worked like a charm and had exactly the effect I am looking for. Switching back to sfall 4.3.0.1 (the version I currently use) does not have this feature anymore, causing the \n to get written as plain text. There is no option in the .ini to trigger this, it just worked with the old version and didn't with the new one.

Does anybody know, why such a feature would be removed. Or better yet: Could it be brought back? As it was already there at some point, this shouldn't be much of a hassle for someone involved in programming sfall, right?

Back