Fallout 1 mod Help with deciding which FO1 mod to install

GuyManBot

First time out of the vault
So I have been living under a rock for what was probably close to 4 years, and I just now remembered I never properly beat Fallout 1 (or 2 but one thing at a time). In the past I used Fixt, however now it seems there is a new kid on the block in the form of et tu, and now I am just confused. Which would be better for my playthrough in which I hopefully actually finish it? And yeah I know the real OG answer would probably be to just play it, but as a helpless zoomer I find jank and content that probably should have been in the game to begin with enticing.

I haven't played Fallout Et Tu yet, but my understanding is it just brings Fallout 1 into Fallout 2's engine with some fixes and some new bugs. You might be better off right now just installing the Fixt mod for the speed option, though I have found some of the exploits in the original game more fun than the speed option can offer on it's own. On the other hand if you can't live without item highlights and some of the newer things that sfall has to offer, you might try Et Tu instead. Either way there's a perfectly functional Hi-Res mod for both versions if that's a worry.

and some new bugs
I really wonder what these bugs are that people keep talking about. Every once in a while someone comes around and proclaims that ettu is at least as buggy as Fixt, if not more, but nobody ever explains what these bugs are supposed to be.

You are going to wish you had installed FET when you are walking down a corridor and your teammates, and even your pet get in your way.
Yeah you could try using a sledgehammer, to gently move them out of the way. But that would turn them against you, in Fallout 1.
That's just one of the QoL changes of Fallout 2 (you can push non-playable characters, so you can walk), that you'll have if you're playing FET.

Wasn't expecting to see
You are going to wish you had installed FET when you are walking down a corridor and your teammates, and even your pet get in your way.
Yeah you could try using a sledgehammer, to gently move them out of the way. But that would turn them against you, in Fallout 1.
That's just one of the QoL changes of Fallout 2 (you can push non-playable characters, so you can walk), that you'll have if you're playing FET.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't FIXT have the option of pushing companions out of the way?

It's more of a "teleport via dialog" - but this won't help you on the BoS paladins in Mariposa, etc.

Wasn't expecting to see

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't FIXT have the option of pushing companions out of the way?
Not the way you'd expect, it's not a cursor command, like changing the direction you're facing. There's no "push icon", in vanilla / FIXT.
Thanks to this, it's impossible to push one of your teammates if there's a hostile creature targeting you or your followers.

And like Lexx said, there's many characters where this feature is simply non-existant, and this is not a followers exclusive problem. There will be situations where you want to pass, but a NPC will decide to ruin your day, and you don't want to turn an entire town hostile over this (there's a few exceptions in Fallout 2, like New Reno, where you can murder citizens without people hating you afterwards).

If you install FET and Pelicano's add-on (the add-on is incompatible with vanilla Fallout), you don't even need to move your cursor to a specific follower and use the "push icon", you can just use a hotkey to ask all of them to move away from you. It's awesome.

Back