Fallout 2 mod I want to make a single bullet go through lined up targets. Here are three attempts

Discussion in 'Fallout General Modding' started by vsirin, Dec 4, 2021.

1. vsirin

vsirin First time out of the vault

Nov 21, 2021
    So far all I've managed is this:

which uses obj_blocking_line and critter_dmg and is a pretty inelegant solution, for a number of reasons - one has to aim at the guy behind, for one thing, not to mention the fact that the animation for critter_dmg has proven...difficult to manipulate. Leaving it at normal damage produces the death anims usually associated with multiple bullets, and I've even had to cobble together a thing with the click hook (just to get the timing closer to right) that barely works.

Help!

(Thanks in advance)

2. dudejo001

dudejo001 It Wandered In From the Wastes

Mar 6, 2010
    what about a modified version of the Flamer attack? The weapon strikes in a line IIRC.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  3. vsirin

Nov 21, 2021
    Will give it a shot. Thanks for the tip!

4. Velizar

Velizar First time out of the vault

Jul 17, 2019
    I wanted to do the same thing - let us know if you get it working.

5. vsirin

Nov 21, 2021
    Flame thing doesn't quite work - for one thing, it's not a straight line. At least one hex on either side gets hit too. Another issue: pistols don't have an animation for "Fire Continuous" so no shot happens at all.

6. vsirin

Nov 21, 2021
    Anyway, I've been working on my obj_blocking_line version and this is as good as I can get it so far.

Anyone know how to delay an animation? Right now one guy gets hit slightly before the shot even happens (I stick the animation in a combatdamage hook and the actual damage in an stdprocedure_end hook tied to damage_proc, which isn't ideal).

Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
    • [Rad] [Rad] x 2
  7. vsirin

Nov 21, 2021
    I wouldn't say I'm happy with the method I'm using - I suspect there's a way to do this more gracefully with object rotations and path_find_to but it's a little beyond my ken. That said, exit/random crashes are (I think) gone, and all that's left is to find a way to delay the animation trigger and throw in some sound.

This sound code:
    Code:
     sound := sfx_build_char_name(collateral, ANIM_fall_front_blood, snd_die);
             reg_anim_play_sfx(collateral, sound, 0);
    doesn't work at all. Anyone have idea why?

8. Zorchar

Zorchar Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Jun 18, 2018
    Cool mod!