Mass Effect 2

Thank you. It was a hard job to read (the small solution) but informative. The rating is a bit too high? But I'll see what I think of this game. I can't wait, played the fuck out of the first one a few days ago and really enjoyed it.

I thought that photoshopped Fallout NV cover of the February 11th OXM said the ME2 review was going to be there?

EDIT: BTW, thanks for the scan but I can't read that at all.

Up with people

The middle chapters in a trilogy usually have one big obstacle: They can't exactly offer up the intoxicating discovery of a new universe, or the gratifying closure of a final chapter. Uncovering delicious truths about the Collectors and the Reapers proves irresistible - despite a final boss that seems to belong in an entirely different universe - but the main quest is a slow burn that takes too long to pick up steam.

The real heart and soul of Mass Effect 2 lies in the characterizations of your ever-growing crew of self-described bitches, bloodthirsty bastards, and half-reformed malcontents. You can pick out the archetypes, but each character is a fully-developed individual with a deep history, specific desires and often questionable methods. The best moments of the game all come from the rough-and-tumble side missions and conversations that slowly builds trust, loyalty and even affection between you and your crew.

While combat consistently excites and the main quest doesn't lack for mystery, those side-stories tap an emotional vein that neither can touch. You don't just watch as a friend grapples with an ethical dilemma, familial dilemma or the nature of the universe itself - you guide each personality to a conclusion as either friend or manipulator. Doing so always unlocks a cool new ability for them to use in battle, but it's the poignant emotional payoff of these encounters that'll stay with you for days. The fact that not every story has a happy ending simply deepens your emotional investment.

Mass Effect 2 overcomes its gameplay weaknesses with a fantastic weave of dynamic combat, lavish presentation and engaging character and weapon customisation. But for all the myriad improvements that make Mass Effect 2's visuals so appealing and its combat so exhilarating, it's ultimately the way it moves us that makes it so memorable. When you've finally completed every last side quest, upgraded every piece of gear, and scoured every planet, sadness sets in - until you remember there's at least one more Mass Effect coming. Maybe the sizzling surface of a desolate planet in the middle of a trilogy is a pretty good place to hang out after all.

Planetfall

Meet your new intergalactic whip

Headed down to some hostile planet's surface to dispense justice or shoot holes in the local fauna? Dpn't plan on tooling around in Mass Effect's six-wheeled Mako. Instead of rambling around vast and creepy expanses of barren star-baked dirt looking for lookalike bases, camps and mineral deposits, you'll automatically drop right into athe areas of immediate interest aboard the Kodiak drop shuttle. You never get to pilot this sucker directly but why drive when one can be driven? (why play a game when one can watch a movie?)

The Verdict on Xbox360

-Enveloping universe filled with interesting characters and revealing side quests
-Outstanding, flexible combat in gorgeous environments
-Why do characters cry oil slicks?

Sounds like there is much fun to be had convincing chaotic evil edgy bitch to become lawful good paladin.

[Paragon] "Killing people is wrong!"
"Okay."

Eyenixon; wow. You are a true artisan.

Surf Solar said:
Thank you. It was a hard job to read (the small solution) but informative. The rating is a bit too high? But I'll see what I think of this game. I can't wait, played the fuck out of the first one a few days ago and really enjoyed it.

me too man.

i played a lot the first Mass Effect.

Hi replayability value. IMHO ME1 is still awesome.

i also never get how "good people" are always against killing. how wonderfully simplistic & naïve.

SuAside said:
i also never get how "good people" are always against killing. how wonderfully simplistic & naïve.
Good Shep wasn't above beating the shit out of somebody, but didn't kill if he didn't have to. He's kinda like future Batman. But then again moving people's perspectives was piss easy in the first game. "Ashley, stop being xenophobic." "Ok, skipper." "Garrus, be like me and be above the law." "Cool." Didn't even need a damn Speech Check 3/4ths of the time.

I think I'm actually going to play this game. Unbelievable. I'm even replaying ME1 as we speak, even though it's mediocre crap. I'm turning into such a console 'tard, it's not even funny.

And now I'm using words like "tard". Somebody please kill me.

Admit it ratty, you just want to do some blue aliens.

Anyway I loved the first game. I mean you get to fly around in a kickass space ship and the game was basically a mash up of all previous mainstream sci fi films/tv shows.

I'm going to import the first character(and his first run through). I just hope they can really do something good with choice and consequences running through two games.

Kilus said:
Admit it ratty, you just want to do some blue aliens.
Heavens, no. That Quarian broad, on the other hand... Sexy voice, great body, leather, underage. What's there not to like? I can't believe BioWareians didn't think to make her a romanceable character. Given the physical constraints (sex would be a virtual impossibility, since Tali's weak immune system necessitates that she wear her protective suit at all times), there was a golden opportunity there to develop a romance on a more emotional and philosophical level.

Then again, that may be expecting too much from BioWare's writers and their limited creative capacities. They would have probably just used it as an excuse to write in a sex scene in the decontamination chamber.

EDIT: Hey, sex in the decontamination chamber, that's not a bad idea. Maybe I should try my hand at writing erotic fanfics.

Apparently your romance options are greatly expanded in ME2. Like 5 possibilities for each gender.

Yeah, it's possible for Ratty having dirty sex with that underage quarian gal. :D I already saw that "lets have teh sex!!11" on youtube - damn spoilers!
They implemented it because of the insane amount of people on the Bioware Forum, who wanted to make out with her.

Well I bought it, and so far the changes in ME2 from ME1, make it..... a much better experience so far?......!?

I don't miss the loot system at all from ME1, IMO the loot from that game was awful, just simple texture swaps, in practice, there was no real thought into it beyond what "type" of weapon to use in ME1 , which is carried over in ME2, so basically ME2 focuses on perk-like character advancement, and upgrades, and IMO greatly improves on the combat, while im not sure if its still dice rolling behind the scenes, it feels much more responsive then ME1 did, and much more shooter-like, which is a GOOD THING when you sold your game with that kind of combat.

ME1 felt like a weird mesh of shooter onto rpg (much like fallout 3 did) while ME2 feels like shooter first (combat wise) with perks and rpg style choices beyond non combat.Id actually prefer this approach to New Vegas, in looking at how it could influence Fallout. Basically if you are going to use real time fps combat in your rpg make it like a shooter and add the rpg perks on it, dont dice roll and over think "loot" to come up with weird things such as a science robe that imbues you somehow with +20 to doctor skill...

We'll see if Oaktable thread-shits and gets my posts deleted again, who knows.

Anyways, I finished it and the game was pretty awesome; even if almost all of the major plot twists are completely predictable. The final boss fight was retarded though, [spoiler:1f61ef394e]and was pretty much a complete copy-paste of DMC4's final battle.[/spoiler:1f61ef394e]

There's one thing that has me completely confused, [spoiler:1f61ef394e]Besides nailing Tali and still not getting to see her face (fuck you Bioware)[/spoiler:1f61ef394e] and that's the lack of a vehicle. I explored every planet, completed every side-mission... yet no riding in the Hammerhead. They talk about it, and you can even see the keybinds in the options menu; but it's nowhere to be found.

Probably set up for some day-1 DLC or some shit.

@Mods: Just an FYI, I wasn't playing the pirated version (Downloading 2xDVDs on this connection? Hah). Bunch of stores down here broke street date. This particular copy came from Walmart.

I wasn't aware it was in violation of forum rules to discuss a game before street-date, even though it was purchased retail. Deleting my posts was a dick move, as there wasn't a single sentence that pertained to anything but ME2's gameplay.

This thread makes me miss eyenixon.

I hope he is not dead.

awesome game so far, really feels like a more mature and evolved version of ME1. I'm usually not a big fan when "rpg elements" are taken out to give more room for the action, but in this case I'm perfectly fine with it.

I love the whole upgrading system, and I love how you can adjust your armor after your liking. combat feels much more exciting. and the graphics are honestly the best I've seen in a game so far.

Phil the Nuka-Cola Dude said:
and that's the lack of a vehicle. I explored every planet, completed every side-mission... yet no riding in the Hammerhead. They talk about it, and you can even see the keybinds in the options menu; but it's nowhere to be found.

Probably set up for some day-1 DLC or some shit.

Yes. You have to download it. Plus there is a new Party member and a mission or something.

I can't even find words for how retarded that is. I hate this new trend. if I buy a game, I pay full price for a full game. I shouldn't have to pay extra for missing content. aren't there laws to stop this bullshit?

Back