Mods you hate or dislike

All I am saying is that no one here really has the skill set to cast judgment on a modification except perhaps, @lolpop109 @Risewild and myself. The people in this thread do not have the skill set or effort to make/share mods, so their opinions are unfounded and carry no weight. You are entitled to an opinion. But maybe you should keep it to yourself. I purchased Bethesda games and I review my purchases.
You did not buy the mods, you did not donate to the author, you do not contribute in any way to anything modding related other then to bitch, you have no objectionable skill in how to properly criticize anything, and your basis for criticism is based off of your personal preference and really doesn't mean much, other then circle jerking and butthurt soapboxing.

That's because you are brainwashed and have not contributing anything.
Now you are jumping to presumptions.

Now you are jumping to presumptions.
Generally speaking, any Quest- or Companionmod. I hate FanFiction. Furthermore, any "lore-unfriendly" mod that adds new creatures, weapons or NPCs/locations, that have prior to the mod not existed in the game or in the lore.

Specific mods I have an indisposition against are (using them as an example): as already mentioned above A World of Pain (what a horrible mod that is, and yet it is so popular), S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Complete, Frostfall, Morrowind Overhaul - Sounds and Graphics, Someguy Series.

hqdefault.jpg

Fallout does not follow it's own lore.

All I am saying is that no one here really has the skill set to cast judgment on a modification except perhaps, @lolpop109 @Risewild and myself. The people in this thread do not have the skill set or effort to make/share mods, so their opinions are unfounded and carry no weight.

How do you know? Just because only a few people here have posted mods doesn't mean no one else has modded or that they can't mod.

I intend no offence by this, but who's to say you have the right skill set? Your skills at modding for I know might be absolutely appalling, but even if they are I wouldn't disregard what you have to say. I might disagree but I wouldn't tell you "You don't have any right to comment on it, shut up."

You are entitled to an opinion. But maybe you should keep it to yourself.

This thread is titled "Mods you hate or dislike". It isn't "Give a professional, unbiased and constructive review, if you can't or don't mod do not post."

I purchased Bethesda games and I review my purchases.

People download Fallout mods and they give their thoughts, constructive or otherwise.

You did not buy the mods, you did not donate to the author, you do not contribute in any way to anything modding related other then to bitch, you have no objectionable skill in how to properly criticize anything, and your basis for criticism is based off of your personal preference and really doesn't mean much, other then circle jerking and butthurt soapboxing.

So because people might not mod themselves anything they have to say about mods is irrelevant and worthless? I understand constructive criticism is better than just saying something sucks, but no one is obligated to donate to an author or contribute to a mod in order to share their thoughts on it. I can't paint a picture but I can still offer criticism, I don't have to attend art school as a prerequisite.

Also why do you disregard personal preference? If a strict fan of the Fallout lore downloaded an Enclave story mod but all the Enclave were portrayed as absolute good guys who could do no wrong said fan might not like it because it goes against what the lore portrays the Enclave as.

hqdefault.jpg

Fallout does not follow it's own lore.

That's an Easter Egg. Personal preference determines whether you find it damaging to lore or not. I don't since we're not expected to take it as a canon event in the Fallout timeline.

I prefer constructive criticism over insults, but I'm not going to suggest only a select handful of people with the right "qualifications" be able to post.

What is the point of having an open forum to discuss Fallout and games if you are silenced from discussing Fallout and games?

So because people might not mod themselves anything they have to say about mods is irrelevant and worthless?
Yes.
Edit: I feel that if it is justified to critisize mods/modders, then modders have the right to criticize you. As a modder, I feel that your opinion of mods are not valid, based on the post that you've made here and your understanding of what is involved in making mods.

Last edited:
All I am saying is that no one here really has the skill set to cast judgment on a modification except perhaps, @lolpop109 @Risewild and myself. The people in this thread do not have the skill set or effort to make/share mods, so their opinions are unfounded and carry no weight.
Uh-huh...
Cause I've never made the effort to create and share mods:
http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/47374/?
http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/42840/?
Neither finished. I stopped playing FNV and lost interest in modding so I never did figure everything out but the GGE one is pretty solid as it is. :shrug:

And you know what? As someone that 'has' created mods and know just how difficult it can be I think you're full of shit. Anyone is allowed to criticize anything they want to and their views and issues are not unfounded and can most definitely carry weight if they actually have something meaty to criticize the mod about.

You don't 'need' to have modded to know what is and isn't good writing, level design, stat balance, clipping issues, etc.

It doesn't matter if we don't pay for mods, anyone can and probably should voice their criticisms so that the creator(s) know what they might need to work on and so that they can gauge what the users who they attracted with their mod likes and dislikes and perhaps make adjustments for future updates.

Any work of art and creativity should attract criticism from anyone it can get it from. It is of course a difference between pointing out what is the problem and just hurling insults at it and the creator(s).

This thread went to shit quick. The logic behind this argument is if you don't create a game you can't critique it which is absurd beyond belief. Someguys mods tend to be some of the better ones on Nexus despite the retarded Easter Eggs/fetch quests/story, but overall they are not in the same league as the vanilla game, so it is understandable for some people to not like what New Vegas Bounties has to offer.

It is a bit silly to think that because someone doesn't have a modder tag that no one is capable of producing mods for GECK though because...well plenty of members have, including myself, whether it be for personal use like with my tweak mods or bug fixes or simple armor swaps. It isn't rocket science and hundreds of tutorials are available to help you out. Problem is most people don't want to put hundreds of hours worth of work into a game with no real reward beyond a bunch of assholes complaining in the comments about the mod not being for PS4, lore friendly, having too many tits, or incompatible with A World of Pain.

Speaking of A World of Pain, I went through that mod with a fine tooth comb a few years ago to try to remove any major lore issues and correct typos and change names that were real bad like Smorgan to Morgan, along with some balance issues. Even with all of that the mod was still not that great, but it made me able to play through it without slamming my head against the keyboard due to typos and outright nonsense. Modding is what you make of it, because it involves customizing the game to what YOU want. So there will be a lot of mods with stuff YOU don't like, but often times these mods are still good mods, they just don't cater to your preferences. I modded my game beyond recognition, but I couldn't share it because it used illegal assets and getting permission from dozens of people to post the mod online just for people to complain isn't my idea of fun.

You don't see a lot of story mods on Nexus because they take more time and often get ignored. The ones that are there are hit or miss for various reasons. When it comes to voice acting you are lucky if you get decent audio much less a coherent sentence structure. Often times you will have European voice actors which can make things weird, like with Niner, one of the many downloadable companions. Willow has been mentioned as well. Problem with her is the companion is actually fairly well done, the shit is just stupid like with the teddy bears and pencils.

I dislike mods that focus totally on combat with little dialog. I don't care for world spaces if they are not fleshed out, one such example being Warzones which hasn't received support in years anyway, but it is a prime example of shoving content into the game by the truckload to see what sticks. At least A World of Pain had lore behind all of the locations. I dislike when mods throw in a ton of shit from pop culture since Fallout 2 and 3 did it. I prefer that crap to be reserved for Easter Eggs or slight nods, not outright ripping stuff off like throwing in Freddy Krueger as a bounty, or adding the Redoubts from the Deathlands series.

I don't mind nude mods, but I dislike when the entire community fixates on them, because it takes attention away from aspects of the game that are slightly more inclined. I used a few of them actually to make my raiders/hookers a little less generic. When you have 1000+ hours put into a game sometimes you just want to go across the Mojave murdering people as Duke Nukem.

Mods that change the appearance of the vault jumpsuits make my heart ache a little. I think the classic ones are awesome. It's one of the little things that I enjoyed a lot of Fallout 4, the vault jumpsuits were really cool looking, and on point with the retrofuturistic aesthetics of FO1 and 2

AWOP. It is a bunch of random dungeons thrown haphazardly across the wasteland. Like the cigarette factory built into the hill next to Goodsprings source.

The Someguy series. I have the same problem as Mr. Fish with the writing in them. He comes across as trying too hard to be dark and edgy.

Vanessa. If you thought Willow was bad this is a thousand times worse.

It doesn't matter if we don't pay for mods, anyone can and probably should voice their criticisms so that the creator(s) know what they might need to work on and so that they can gauge what the users who they attracted with their mod likes and dislikes and perhaps make adjustments for future updates.
I don't subscribe to that school of logic. If I want a criticism, I will seek it out from someone with skill/experience, not some casual player whose only skill set is having the game and a rudimentary skill with a mouse.

My opinion on what you should do with your mods are completely irreverent if I haven't asked you. It is presumptuous to think that your opinion is needed or wanted or even valid.
How many hours did you test?
What type of testing did you do?
What experience do you have testing similar mods?
Is your opinion objectionable or selfish?
etc.

Having received over tens of thousands of suggestions they all end up sounding like those people should be focusing their negative energy on making mods instead of dissecting others mods.

I for one would never release a mod that does not have voice acting in it, then complain about a mod that does have voice acting in it. But we are different people. I can respect you as a person, but I personally feel you are not in a position to judge the character of Someguy2000. It colors you in a bad light.

I will take the same stand here as I take with modders. There are modders I don't like for different reasons but I would never name them because while I might not like them I still respect them.
There are mods I don't like but I don't want my views to cloud other people's views about them. If i start to point out reasons why I hate a popular mod some people might get biased about that mod even before they played it or when they weren't sure if they liked it or not.

For example there was a really popular FO3 mod that most people love and I tried it and it wasn't for me, I hated it... But I also saw all the work and effort put into it and could tell why people loved it but it just wasn't for me.
Was it a bad mod? It had some parts that weren't well made and some errors here and there, but it wasn't a bad mod in general.

I can tell you this though, I dislike pretty much every mod I made.

I can also see where @DirtyOldShoe is coming from. Criticizing a product you paid for is one thing, but criticizing a free product that is not "vanilla" part of the game you paid for made by people who are not paid to make it, that you only use because you want to and you only get because you want to and unless you go to the extra effort of finding, downloading, installing and playing it makes it sound "entitled" (I hate using that word since it doesn't mean what people think it means, but I can't think of a better word) specially if you don't know how much effort and work it was to learn all that was necessary to make it and all the countless hours to actually finish it, not counting the hours to test it and sometimes making compatibility patches/versions for it to play well with other mods.
But I also know that everyone has their own opinions and like to share them, mods became so common these days that most consumers of the paid product see them as a commercial thing too (even though they are free and made by unpaid people), I have seen game forums on Steam saying that if this game doesn't have modding support or modding tools for it they will not buy the game. Mods are now part of the gaming industry in a way that no modder could have imagined it to happen back 10 years.
So what I mean is, I will not criticize other people mods even if I hate them, I might also share some of the DirtyOldShoe points, but I also know it will not lead to anything trying to put my opinions and views over other people's and this is a forum to discuss stuff like opinions of games and by proxy mods now (I guess).

I made a giant wall of text and I am still not sure if people will understand what I meant :confused: just another day in the life of Risewild I guess...

Many years ago I wrote a novella, someone asked me what it was about. I told them it was impossible for me to tell them. They became frustrated at me as they didn't understand how the author could not describe their stories. I struggled to find the words.
I asked the person to tell me the name of their favorite film, something they watched more then once.
They said the Star Wars franchise, it was special to them and they had reasons to like it.
They could tell me the things they liked, and could give me a shallow description, but their words could never do justice, because I had not seen it.
He understood that if I tried to explain the story to him in one of my stories it would devalue what I actually wrote.

I also have mods that I am disappointed in, but if I like them enough, I will fix them to be up to my standards.

I will not mention their names because, just because they were not good to me, does not mean they were not good. And because my words could shatter that persons creation, I will only share my opinions with the author, if they are interested in my opinion.

Yes.
Edit: I feel that if it is justified to critisize mods/modders, then modders have the right to criticize you. As a modder, I feel that your opinion of mods are not valid, based on the post that you've made here and your understanding of what is involved in making mods.

Anything and everything can be criticized. I'm not the one putting mods out there, if I was I would expect criticism regardless of whether I'm brilliant at modding or not very good.

Way to presume about me anyway Shoe. I know what goes into mod making but at the same time I don't feel it's relevant to whether I can criticize or even offer an informal opinion on a mod or not.

I can also see where @DirtyOldShoe is coming from. Criticizing a product you paid for is one thing, but criticizing a free product that is not "vanilla" part of the game you paid for made by people who are not paid to make it, that you only use because you want to and you only get because you want to and unless you go to the extra effort of finding, downloading, installing and playing it makes it sound "entitled" (I hate using that word since it doesn't mean what people think it means, but I can't think of a better word) specially if you don't know how much effort and work it was to learn all that was necessary to make it and all the countless hours to actually finish it, not counting the hours to test it and sometimes making compatibility patches/versions for it to play well with other mods.

If I offer valid criticism to a mod I'm suddenly entitled? I see a mod I like the look of, download it then find it's not quite to my liking, but I can't say anything about it or I'll sound entitled?

Anything and everything can be criticized.
Like someone that criticizes mods can be criticized on their criticisms.

I'm not the one putting mods out there, if I was I would expect criticism regardless of whether I'm brilliant at modding or not very good.
But you are putting your opinions out there and so must accept or expect your opinions to also be criticized.

Way to presume about me anyway Shoe.
Educated guess based on your comments and 10+ years of modding games.

I know what goes into mod making
You clearly do not.

But at the same time I don't feel it's relevant to whether I can criticize or even offer an informal opinion on a mod or not.
I do. Just as you are able to openly dissect a mod and it's author here on NMA, I am also able to dissect you and your words and lack of experience here as well.

I think your criticisms are without weight and you lack the knowledge to make an informed opinion of the subject matter you engage in..
If you bring nothing more to the table then a well mannered chimpanzee, how would your opinion have more weight then a well mannered chimpanzee?

Back