More Fallout 3 Gameplay Footage

Looks like it will be a fun game ill probably spend as much time with it as i did oblivion.
Sure as hell isn't like the old fallout's at all but o well nothing I can do will change that so ill just go with it.
Teddy bears being able to kill things is actually pretty sweet to me its a video game I really don't care that its physically impossible in so many ways. The fat-man on the other hand is pretty stupid I like the explosions they are like mini mushroom clouds to go with a mini nuke but just the idea of the weapon seems retarded especially if you don't get radiation from using it so close.
It looked like every-time he hit anything in vats it killed it I think that was just a part of the demo they made so anything in vats instantly dies.
The lockpicking mini game seems fun but it did have a force open option and it seems like a auto try button too.

I really, really can't stand the teddy bear thing. It's just taking the "humor" thing too into the realm of ludicrous.

fedaykin said:
Bodybag, did you honestly play the minigames every single time in Oblivion, Bioshock, Mass Effect and still found it fun after a hundred or so times?

In Bioshock I actually did enjoy it throughout, but oblivion had fairly bad mini games, and the mini games from mass effect were okay but unnecessary in my opinion.

Also my overall impression is that this is a demo specifically geared to show the combat in an over the top manner ad will be unlikely to reflect on the actual game play as much. He had the auto targeted shots always hit and also he was going through what amounts to a hostile area (similar to the Wanamingo Mine), so I maintain hope that the game will be better then is shown in this demo. Although I question the marketing strategy of only showing this area.

Sounds like a bunch of neanderthals in the crowd. I guess that's the target audience though, "me no want talk, me want big boom."

I was kind of floored that they managed to make the inventory look even more cumbersome than the original fallouts. I also loved the item descriptions and the icons for them in the inventory, both of which are axed.

I also got a chuckle that fallout managed to make death animations for 2d sprites much more interesting than the ones in this video.

Combat looks pretty tedious IMO, to slow paced for an FPS, not rich enough for an RPG. It's a double edged flaming sword of Fail.

I hope we get to play a variation of Milton Bradley's "Operation" when we use first aid.

Having just watched the video again, I remember a while back people around here were complaining that VATS seemed to be the only way to get death animations that were worth a damn, and people were worried you wouldn't be able to see limbs getting shot off unless you were in VATS, which people thought'd be repetitious. Clearly that's out now.

And one subtle thing I noticed when he attacked that guy on the bridge is that he shot the guy in the leg (not in VATS) and the guy actually yelled and grabbed his leg in the area it'd been hit. That's pretty fucking cool.

I agree with what other people have said, that the enormous amounts of gore is most likely being caused by the bloody mess trait, even in the case of the teddy bears. It's pretty stupid to whine about how that's impossible and what not when even a BB Gun could make a man's head explode in the originals if you had Bloody Mess turned on. Plus we know that bloody mess was affecting gameplay because even when he shot people in the face most of their limbs would fall off too. That doesn't seem like it'd be a part of normal gameplay. The first several shots of the Teddy Bear didn't seem to do much damage at all, though without playing the game I don't know for certain.

As far as perks go, I don't see why it's so terrible to get perks every level. In fact, for this game design I'd even go so far as to say that it's essential. The skills in this game are going to be watered down some because part of it is going to be based on the player's skill. As a result of that, leveling up isn't going to feel quite as big of a deal as it was in the originals. So adding the perks makes sense to me. I don't look at it as "toning it down for the console kiddies." I look at it as smart game design.

randir14 said:
Sounds like a bunch of neanderthals in the crowd. I guess that's the target audience though, "me no want talk, me want big boom."

getabrainmoransmu8.jpg

I'll start here a bit optimistically. I like how the environment looks, the colour palette, the grey-brown tone isn't that bad. The destruction is nicely done. But it still misses something, maybe the heads at corners... Also the grenade effects look nicely with bloody mess perk. But that's all I liked.

But there was much more bad than good. The combat is, ehm, unattractive. Somehow it reminds me Soldier of Fortune, but even that game had better damage models than this. VATS slow-mo is annoying by the end of this short video. Also, the "everyone is frozen, only you can move" approach looks strangely. But at least VATS removes the "I'm a master marksman, but I cannot hit a moving target" paradox, because it is a FPS combat. Bloody mess perk is just a mess. I would never expect that somebody would make something like this. Hitting an enemy into head and as a result loosing all limbs? Hell, that is a bit too much, it worked in Carmageddon, but not in Fallout. Teddy bear shooter is another proof of extreme stupidity. I find it funny when you shot a raider with BB gun and a half if his torso is torn off, but killing with a teddy (and a soft one) into torso and chopping off an arm and head, that's too much.

The fatman&cars are a special category of idiocy. If the fatman was hyped as "immersively looking" mushroom clouds, I would think that wasn't the fatman. Those puffs from such and idiotic, silly, nothing symbolizing weapon (and it's even possible to target separate body parts with it, no wonder eye/groin shots were removed) are pretty pathetic. If that was the most powerful weapon, then I'm shocked. Even the old Il-2 Sturmovik had better mushroom cloud than that. And the cars. Damn, standing not further than 10 meters away, and being out of its blast radius? How could they've put something like this in to a game? Not that it doesn't fit into Fallout, it doesn't fit into anything.

The atmosphere is strange. I wouldn't say bad, but surely not what I would expect in nuked city. The marching music is nice, but listening to it for longer periods of time isn't fitting for me. Also, those resupply tubes somehow remove the need to think forward when going somewhere.

If there won't be any video showing dialogue, choices and consequences any time soon, this game is really stupid.

Pope Viper said:
I really, really can't stand the teddy bear thing. It's just taking the "humor" thing too into the realm of ludicrous.

I concur, it was almost as annoying as the cringe inducing presenters/crowd whooping. The only thing I liked in that video was that Todd defended the PC as a platform, to an obviously console centric crowd. But that really isn't saying much...

I wonder what Bethesda gave to the fools that are cheering and clapping at the awkward, overused bullet-time sequences (VATS lol) with a silly ragdoll body and all limbs being gibbed by 1 headshot.

Oh.. I know! Right now their making a bad Fallout, intentionally, just so they can stir up the hornets nest, and get ideas for a good Fallout. This "bad" Fallout will be released as "Fallout: Console Edition", and the good Fallout, which secretly the original makers are making under Bethesda's payroll will be released as the REAL Fallout 3, in which everything is good. Their giving that to them.

some things i enjoyed about the trailer:

1. graphics. not terrible, but not great. no jaggies, pop in baddies, and the textures on the environment look good. really impressive draw distance. this is not in regards to the style, just the graphics.

things i noticed about the trailer:

1. Todd was obviously using cheats. he was level 8 and had 990 hp, uncanny aim regardless of percentages, and unlimited ammo for all weapons.

2. every time VATS was used, whatever body part was struck was "crippled" even the torso. think what you want about that one.

3. we won't know if we CAN dismember people without the bloody mess perk until we play for ourselves. that's a little shady. every demo so far has necessarily had the perk.

Other thoughts/criticism:

1. people saying "it's good to have perks every level" fail to see the ORIGINAL reason for having perks every three levels. THERE WASN'T A RIDICULOUSLY LOW LEVEL CAP. in FO2 the cap was 99, and you could still earn exp after that. so that allows for at LEAST 32-33 perks, more than FO3 will ever allow, plus 2 traits, which modified the gameplay by having downsides. now, perks are all positive, and that means everyone who plays will always start with a clean slate. if you want immersion, wouldn't it be wiser to make people choose to be different from the beginning? or are we all clone babies?

2. the death "animations" are really not animations at all, and the ragdoll engine is falling behind. to the person who mentioned SOF1/2/3 as a reference, you are spot-on. i was trying to think of what it reminded me of, and SOF3 is exactly it. and even then reviewers said it was an engine that "bordered on the ludicrous"

3. lack of text is a huge issue for me. Being able to READ descriptions of the landscape, especially since digital graphics are a long way from appearing realistic, is ESSENTIAL to a GURPS-based game like FO1/2. so removing those text descriptions and just relying purely on the graphics leaves MUCH to be desired. and it obviously shows that the designers aren't very imaginative or creative when it comes to the English Language. (something i'm sure Leo B or Jason A are known for)

4. IF the devkits DO become available, the FIRST thing to do would be to make the game in 3rd person. i don't even care if its ISO, it doesn't have to be anymore. what watching this video showed me was that the 3rd person could work, but the came needs to be SERIOUSLY pulled back. My idea for an FO3 with imp graphics and everything would basically be like this:

you control the PC, during non-combat, much like a regular FPS/WoW with WASD inpit or click-to-move input. There is an underlying grid on everything.

during combat, it would be TB, and the grid would show up. hexes, or squares (preferably squares) would equate to 1 move each, with height modifiers like FFtactics.

AIMED SHOTS would be like VATS. thats what i like about it. VATS captures the feel of the aimed shots of the old school days, but it's too limited. but the style and the feel is close. as for the cinematic shots, THEY ONLY OCCUR ON KILL SHOTS. so when it happens, you know they're dead. if it doesn't, you're not wasting your time with a cinematic shot that doesn't resolve.

you have a TRUE inventory system. not this stupid number=weapon and usable-item list. if you want to switch weapons, open your inv and SWITCH. not just pull out your other gun which was holstered around your waist with your 17 other guns.

what's been lost from this iteration (if it can be called that) of FO is the personality which NPCS have. i know we haven't seen any character interaction, but judging from the combat, raiders may as well be animals. in the original FOs, even those you went up against in combat had PERSONALITY. they had charm. even if they had "kill the scraggin' bastard!" charm, they had charm. these raiders or whatever the hell they are have nothing. not even a taunt, not even a desire to live. they rush you and then they die. useless.

Havok4 said:
In Bioshock I actually did enjoy it throughout, but oblivion had fairly bad mini games, and the mini games from mass effect were okay but unnecessary in my opinion.
How were Bio's and Oblivion's minigames more necessary? If I want to play pipe dream, I'll play it, but it's hardly entertaining to play it hundreds of times in a first person shooter.

BOS Man said:
Polynikes said:
Are you fucking kidding me!?!? A headshot from a sniper rifle causes ALL THE LIMBS TO FALL OFF!?!?

And those retards all ate it right up.
Bloody Mess. Nuff said.

By the way, that's a classic signature you got there, Polynikes. Made me laugh.
I think they took Bloody Mess too far. Like into retarded territory. I understand that in Fallout you could blow off most of someone's torso with a head shot using a gun like the .223 pistol, but that was mostly a limitation of the animations. There weren't very many death animations. Bethesda is focusing on the gore so there's no reason they couldn't just have a good head explosion instead of a whole body explosion. It's not like in Fallout 1/2 a critical shot that killed someone using a 10mm pistol would cause the person to melt. Anyways...

Thanks for the sig compliment. It's the first thought that came to mind when I watched the movie. :)

http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=2825

Warning - pun:
So vats why the orc was break dancing.

Bloody mess just looks dumb. Not that blowing a chunk out of someone's torso when they were shot in the head wasn't dumb, but this is pretty out there. Bethesda also had the technology to get past the limitation of making 8 animations for every character template BIS made.

I think they were all too busy thinking, "Tee hee hee. Violence is fun."

i dont know if this is american culture or not (i am european..so forgive me if i offend somone)..but why are they so loud and have multi hard ons about what they seeing. I seen it many times before

"Wow" " So Cool" "Awesome" ..calm down guys..have drink of water or something

Dont understand why they have to be overly excited all the time
:crazy:

Didnt like what i saw at all. I felt it like Todd the brainless was rubbing our face with this gameplay video.I dont have to explain it i just feel a bit sick of what i saw!

*off to bed to cry myself to sleep

Back