More random encounters? Mod?

[shnee]Jakee

First time out of the vault
Hi, I'm a bit of a newb to modding the original two Fallout games, I've played them vanilla for a long time though. I came here to ask, is there a way to increase the game's random encounters? This may or may not be for loot reasons, but that information is classified. I always wanted for there to be way more than the occasional pack of wild scorpions you run into by a 1 in 10,000,000 chance.

If you guys/girls have any, thanks. If not, thanks anyway.

You need to edit the worldmap encounter table to your liking. The table can be found in the file called master.dat, you have to unpack it and go to "..\data\WORLDMAP.TXT". The instructions and explanations about how it works are already included in the txt file, provided as comments. The quadrants in the file are actual quadrants from the worldmap image, see e.g. here for reference.

For your convenience, I am also providing you with here the encounter table, in case you run into any problems extracting it from the master.dat.

When you're finish editing and ready to test, be sure to make a new folder called "data" in your Fallout 2 game folder and put the worldmap.txt in there (as a reference see the structure in master.dat). Fire up the game and test your results. Good luck!

That doesn't work for Fo1, though. There you'd have to edit some of the worldmap script file(s). I never looked at it in detail.

Changing the scripts for Fallout 1 won't change the frequency of random encounters though, just what encounter you get when you get an encounter. Don't think there's any easy way to fix that.

As for Fallout 2, if it's more encounters the OP wants, and if he's playing vanilla as I think is what he says, wouldn't installing the unofficial patch or the RP take care of that?
I mean the sfall encounter fix pretty much guarantees a lot more encounters as it removes the cpu dependency (the old "fast computers get almost no encounters" problem).

Back