My God-- it's full of free guns

Discussion in 'Fallout: New Vegas Gameplay & Tech' started by Little Robot, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Little Robot

Little Robot sup Orderite

Sep 29, 2010
    While playing New Vegas recently, I noticed something interesting. This was almost certainly present in Fo3 but I didn't see it during a quick search. What I noticed is that shops which have inventory sitting on the counter are incredibly easy to rob. Because no one minds if you "move" the guns without adding them to your inventory, you just need to drag them into some seclude corner or bathroom, sneak, and pick them up from there. I just got about 10000 caps worth of energy weapons doing this. Seems like they should have noticed this, no? :roll:

Apologies to everyone who already knew this-- it is a stupid thing that I only just realized.

2. Korin

Korin So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs
    Admin

Aug 6, 2010
    Yeah, you've always been able to do that, haha. Good way to make money. It's not really free though, it costs you your soul.

3. John B.

John B. Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Sep 24, 2010
    Bah, we're gamers, we don't need souls, why I sold mine just last week for a copy of minecraft! :D

4. Makenshi

Makenshi Ahoy, ye salty dogs!

Jul 28, 2006
    In FO 1 and 2 there was no karma penalty for stealing, and I liked it better. I mean, I thief has to live and not every thief is a bad guy, right? :mrgreen:

Also... Robin Hood anyone? Why can't we be like him in Beth's Fallouts? ¬¬

5. Insomnia

Insomnia First time out of the vault

Sep 18, 2010
    Well u could do a similar thing to get rich in the original fallout series through the save-fail-reload-try again method of stealing.And this will likely be modified soon....or you could just not steal from shops.

6. Humpsalot2

Humpsalot2 First time out of the vault

Oct 17, 2010
    actually thanks, i havent thought too much about that, boob implants here i come... i mean "int" implants, bc they will make me look smarter

7. sea

sea Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 5, 2009
    I really don't understand why they didn't simply make picking up an NPC-owned weapon count as "stealing". Surely they can differentiate between "player dragging item" and "item knocked around by random physics events".

8. Lexx

Lexx Testament to the ghoul lifespan
    Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    Then the player accidentally moves an item and the town goes rampage on him.

9. Syanlon

Syanlon First time out of the vault

Oct 19, 2010
    You could be simply picking it up to take a look at it before buying it.

I dont think karma is that important in NV as its more about reputation.

10. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt I should set a custom tit

Oct 28, 2008
    Yeah, I wish they did away with karma completely. I mean, I guess losing karma for stealing supplies from a specific group makes sense, but that can be implemented in reputation. Stealing from an enemy faction, on the other hand, shouldn't be that bad, right?

11. Syanlon

Syanlon First time out of the vault

Oct 19, 2010
    Its kinda retarded you can gain karma for slaughtering a slaver camp and then lose it for stealing their stuff.

I liked the old reputation traits but was a bit dissapointed in NV when I started digging up graves and didnt get anything like the old graverobber trait :(

12. Zeronet

Zeronet It Wandered In From the Wastes

Apr 26, 2003
    I'm incredibly guilty of doing that in San Franciso. And the hub..and everywhere else. : /

13. willooi

willooi It Wandered In From the Wastes

Aug 23, 2010
    Wasn't JE Sawyer saying in the lead-up in some interview that they'd figured out a way to prevent the player from doing this save-fail-reload-try again thing? Does anyone recall this?

I wish I could man up and accept the consequences of getting busted stealing, but man, when it turns an entire town hostile that's just nasty.

14. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Admin Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    Well honestly though, why is that move even in there? Did you ever use it (for anything other than exploitation or dragging around corpses for the lulz)?

There's a delay before you can gamble after loading. Don't know if it works for stealing too. It's not an interesting fix, it's just tedious as hell.

15. sea

sea Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 5, 2009
    Okay, after playing a bit, I have to agree with the original poster. Guns are everywhere, as well as ammo, to the point where I'm practically overflowing with it. I'd appreciate it if guns were a lot less common and there was use of more melee and throwing weapons early on.

16. smber2cnma

smber2cnma First time out of the vault

Sep 29, 2010
    There are certainly some games that assign a win/loss determinant to stealing when you load a cell.

So, perhaps they could make it where when you enter town X, a roll is made based on your dexterity and steal skill and scores determined. The resulting values could then be matched to several classes of items: large, medium, small, weapon, rare. Then situational variations could add or subtract from your initally rolled value (are you sneaking, is it dark, are you behing the person, are you/they stationary, etc...) at the time of attempted theft and success/failure determined.
    ---- This would mean, if a steal fails, all repeated steals of that item will fail unless you leave the cell and return to get a new roll.

I agree though that if stealing results in a town going hostil...it's just pointless b/c people will just reload. Thus, it never happened, thus why program it to happen? A better way to script this would be using jails in larger towns (similar to Oblivion :shock: ) and perhaps exiling players from smaller towns for a duration of time or until they pay a fine, or complete a redemption quest. That way, when I role-play a theif, I'm not some miraculous theif that was never caught in my whole career, instead, I got exiled/jailed a couple times until I was at the top of my craft.

17. fallout_fan

fallout_fan It Wandered In From the Wastes

Sep 11, 2008
    On the topic of guns, I heard you can aim using Iron Sights. I guess after Fallout3 threw the series gun skill out the window, this game decided to run outside and stomp on its face. That just blows. I guess the gun skill is even more useless in this game. No point in even building it up. They should just fess up and say its a Fallout FPS, not an RPG. How can you call a game an RPG when weapon skills and stats have no real effect on weapon usage.

18. sea

sea Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 5, 2009
    Except that iron sights aiming is still affected by weapon skill and doesn't really improve your accuracy at all. As far as I can tell it's just an aesthetic thing to make shooting "feel" better.

Also, obvious troll is obvious. Do everyone a favour and leave.

19. Anarchosyn

Anarchosyn Still Mildly Glowing

Sep 26, 2008
    I think the idea is if you consciously imposes your will on the lawful property rights of another, for whatever spurious rationale you've hastily constructed, it is consider a blight upon your moral compass (a compass notably crafted in the image of Adam Smith).

I' fine with the karma system, especially sense it doesn't seem to do anything besides pertain to perks (if even that). I don't regularly complain about additional layers of depth unless they get in my way somehow.
    I've spoken with numerous people who spent hours trying to find Megaton after exiting the vault in Fallout 3. Me thinks the plethora is there so they can find at least one throughout their play experience. ;)

20. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt I should set a custom tit

Oct 28, 2008
    I don't know how it is later in the game, but mostly what I find early on is broken-down, crappy guns that are really weak. And I haven't seen all that many just lying around, most of those are from corpses. As for ammo, most boxes I've seen belonged to factions.