Opening and using .pal files?

Discussion in 'Fallout General Modding' started by Lexx, Dec 14, 2019.

1. Lexx

Lexx Background Radiant
    Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    As the title says, do we have (still working) software that is able to open the Fallout .pal files? None of my graphic programs are able to open them, and if I create my own .pal file, the game will not use them correctly, so I am assuming they aren't exactly the same.

Best case would be if I could simply create my own .pal files and the game accepts them. Then I can just ignore the "can't open .pal"-problem.

Any help would be great.

2. NovaRain

NovaRain Casual Modder Modder

Mar 10, 2007
    There's a PAL View command line tool on TeamX's site that can view .pal files.

3. Lexx

Lexx Background Radiant
    Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    Yes, it *views* them, sadly that isn't enough. I need to be able to use them. :>
    Tried making a screenshot of them, to use it as base to produce my own .pal file, but of course that only ends in a black image. Very annoying.

4. Gizmojunk

Gizmojunk So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Nov 26, 2007
    What is the link to the TeamX palette viewer tool?

5. Lexx

Lexx Background Radiant
    Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    Here's a backup.

Problem is solved thanks to @NovaRain, by the way. I am using the Titanium Browser to export the original .frm file to .gif, then export the .pal from the .gif and apply it to my own graphic.

Still would be better to be able to create completely new .pal files, but for now this is totally enough for my needs.

6. Gizmojunk

Gizmojunk So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Nov 26, 2007
  7. Lexx

Lexx Background Radiant
    Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    Sadly that wouldn't have helped me, because it'll just swap the colors to others which I don't want.

8. Mr.Stalin

Mr.Stalin Agent of Enclave Modder

Oct 29, 2015
    • [Rad] [Rad] x 2