Pop culture reference [SPOILER]

zioburosky13

Vault Senior Citizen
Tenpenny Tower reminds me the movie Land of the dead.

Also, the quest of searching an escaping android sounds just like Blade runner to me.

A player crafted weapon which can shoot any junk and pick them up to reuse them as ammo looks like the grav.gun from Half Life 2.

The church of the Atom guys, around the bomb in Megaton, talk about the end of the universe and each person creating a new universe out of the atoms in their body. Sounds a lot like 'Cities in Flight' by James Blish.

Ubik said:
The church of the Atom guys, around the bomb in Megaton, talk about the end of the universe and each person creating a new universe out of the atoms in their body. Sounds a lot like 'Cities in Flight' by James Blish.

Really? To me, I had a good laugh because the way they preached and how fanatical they were about such an unorthodox ideology reminded me of Scientology.

I think Bethesda was having some fun with pop culture references and I appreciated the fact that even the sign in Megaton referred to the Church of the Atom as 'Local Cult'. LOL.

Yea I thought that was funny too. There is a Scientology church in Portland and it is listed as a 'cult' in Google businesses & map listings.

Might just be coincidence then :)

I was hanging around next to the bomb (building up my radiation level for the Wasteland Guide mission) and the things the preacher was saying reminded me a lot of Blish's book.

I've always considered the worshiping of the Megaton nuke as a reference to the crazies in [Escape from the] Planet of the Apes 2(?) that were worshiping the nuke, although I would agree it fits a Scientology reference as well. Two birds with one stone, I suppose.

why the hell do the mutant bears have a chinese name anyway, did the chinese army bring trained bears with them? thats retarded

oihrebwe said:
why the hell do the mutant bears have a chinese name anyway, did the chinese army bring trained bears with them? thats retarded

The Chinese side of things really is starting to be played up a lot more it appears.

How about an expansion where China regathers its forces and invades the Capitol Waste? Ghoul,Super Mutant and Human alike will discard the trivial differences and band together to beat back the red beast.

It has potential patriotic propaganda value and could also throw in a few nods to the joys of multi-culturalism even in an apocalyptic wasteland!

edit:
Ah yeah and I almost forgot, Death Claws will be level 40 mounts.

I noticed as I was going through the metro to the Penn Ave that Ghouls seem to be unusual susceptible to headshots. For instance one burst from an assault rifle in VATS finishes them right off. Could be a Romero/zombie reference.

Bal-Sagoth said:
oihrebwe said:

The Chinese side of things really is starting to be played up a lot more it appears.

How about an expansion where China regathers its forces and invades the Capitol Waste? Ghoul,Super Mutant and Human alike will discard the trivial differences and band together to beat back the red beast.

It has potential patriotic propaganda value and could also throw in a few nods to the joys of multi-culturalism even in an apocalyptic wasteland!

edit:

Actually, they lowered the mount level to 30 to better facilitate faster leveling in the face of higher level caps.

Hroesvelgr said:
Bal-Sagoth said:
oihrebwe said:

edit:

Actually, they lowered the mount level to 30 to better facilitate faster leveling in the face of higher level caps.

Ah damn I knew that, I actually quit right around that time. To much had changed, I yearned for ye olde days of raid scholo :(.

Ive got the MMO crack out of my system now tho :D

Not quite a pop-culture reference, but there's a small place called Bethesda Underworks in the Bethesda Ruins location.
As known, Bethesda's studio is under the ground, so it's clearly a reference to themselves. Nothing of an interest there except the name tho'. Or maybe I haven't found it.

Right down the street are the Bethesda East and West office buldings. It's a good spot to hit early on, I found my first combat shotgun and first flamer in there.

I found a dead NPC by the side of the road named Mel wearing a black leather jacket-and-pants armor with a sawed-off shotgun.

umm i think the church of the atom is a mix of all but mainly like the ghouls in Fallout Tactics a reference to the worship of the nuclear weapon by the ghouls in Planet of the Apes II

Back