Proto Editors

Cory Macdonald

First time out of the vault
Howdy!

I've gone about the place, looking for any still available proto editors for Fallout 2, but it looks like every single one has been taken down from everywhere. The only one I have is F2WEdit, and it won't allow the creation of proto files for scenery, critters and the like.

So, if anyone knows anywhere to get a proto editor, or any way to edit a proto file, please explain!

Thanks,
Blaze5565

There is Cubik2k's Fallout 1/2 Critters Editor for critters.
Also there are official mapper2 and hex editors.
Yeah, I've already got the critters one, but I'm looking for something covering everything else. The mapper, I know, has proto editing abilities, but only once you've created the original proto file, and attached your FRM to it, which is what I need to do. And, also, the mapper tells me that it can't save any modifications regardless;
"Not capable of modifying prototypes from here"
"Error saving prototypes"

I've used BIS Mapper for creating new proto files.

You need to set librarian=1 in your mapper2.cfg file.
Then just select the 'blank icon' at the very end of the category you want to add an item to and click 'edit'.
A dialog should pop up in which you can edit the newly created .pro file.

Go here -

http://falloutmods.wikia.com/wiki/Making_prototypes

Remember the location of the Fallout install MUST be in the default C: \ drive, otherwise the mapper can not make new prototypes. Always convert the finished prototypes to READ ONLY after you build them, otherwise the game will delete them. To edit prototypes remove the READ ONLY tag - edit - and then revert them back to READ ONLY...

Back