Replay value (the situation I find myself in)

ZeaLitY

First time out of the vault
I played Fallout 3 late last year, and at first, yeah, it was addicting. It was fun to have my own house and base of operations, and then scavenge the wasteland. I ended up doing an aborted normal playthrough, a completionist playthrough with all DLCs, and then a genocide playthrough in which I tried to kill every NPC (and I plan on doing that for NV).

But I just noticed that after finishing the genocide, I'll be damned if I can't find anything to do with the game anymore. The completionist playthrough let me experience plenty of different combat styles (especially with Chinese Stealth Suit + Gauss Rifle), and genocide let me experience total evil, and so now, it's just empty. I feel myself drawn to the game again and again because of what it basically holds—the feeling of going out and doing missions, scavenging, setting up a life in the wastes—but the actual content of the game seems a million years old to me, now.

I'm just curious if anyone else has experienced this. It's making me desperately hungry for New Vegas, but making Fallout 3 seem terribly wasted and empty. It's like I want to play it, but when I actually load it up and get in the game, it's..."eh." I definitely think that's owing to some of the criticisms, too, like the ass dialogue or general plot. I look back on Fallout 3's Brotherhood of Steel and it all seems kind of ehhh, with the Outcasts not even getting a proper storyline. They're just stewards of a dungeon to raid. Little Lamplight and Vault 87 inspire repulsion when I think about having to do them again if I were to do another playthrough. Then then the miles of metro tunnels to crawl through. The DLCs...the Pitt was the only one I replayed, sadly realizing that the ethical choice doesn't change much at all besides saving a stupid trip through that awful power plant.

I mean, I hope I'm not unreasonably expecting to be able to play the same game 3 times and still expect something new, but I've never had a game go as rapidly from addictive to buried in the ground so quickly. It's like I love the engine and general idea, but the content's just withered. I'm hoping I can get a ton of mileage out of NV, especially by trying all three factions and having endless blasts on the strip.

I guess I did use a lot of mods for the full playthroughs. The best by far was More where that came from. The Galaxy News Radio idea was fine, but only 20 songs meant that it got repetitive really quickly. I'm hoping New Vegas has more default songs (there's such a ton of great music to use for that period), or that someone mods it really quick.

The Batman mod almost did make me do a superhero playthrough, though.

The game is good for on playthrough WITH mods. Any further playthroughs are pretty much the same as the first one. And since you can play after the finish, there's no reason to start over looking for everything you "missed", since the main quest is essentially the same.

Rather than trying to just go through the motions of the game over and over again, why don't you choose your character carefully and roleplay with him? Set limits for yourself, no VATS, etc. Don't fast travel, don't look at the map, just wander.

These are the kind of things I do, and I've been wandering the wastes for a year solid now!

Michael of the Wastes said:
These are the kind of things I do, and I've been wandering the wastes for a year solid now!

What? You wasted a whole year of your life just wandering the wastes of FO3? Dude! :shock:

Why? I enjoy it.
Unlike most of you, I seem to actually enjoy Fallout 3's story, setting, everything...in before I get flamed.

Story is meh.

Setting is pretty good, but the atmosphere is awesome.

It makes me sad that NV is not going to be nearly as destroyed as DC because I love the setting and atmosphere of Fo3, probably saved the game.

In what way was Washington DC destroyed?

Most buildings were still standing when I looked around, just boarded off.
The only place that was really destroyed was the White House, but rather by some bunker buster than a true nuclear weapon.

The whole place seemed more like "Life after People", the people simply decided to leave Washington DC and move into junk made settlements.

The people of the Capital Wasteland couldn't live in D.C. because of the mutants, before the Brotherhood showed up, everyone was getting slaughtered and had to hide. Much of D.C. is destroyed, you just happen to be able to walk around areas that aren't, notice when roads are blocked off, they're blocked off by massive concrete piles and almost always in the background you can see the destroyed ruins of office buildings.

The people of the Capital Wasteland couldn't live in D.C. because of the mutants, before the Brotherhood showed up, everyone was getting slaughtered and had to hide. Much of D.C. is destroyed, you just happen to be able to walk around areas that aren't, notice when roads are blocked off, they're blocked off by massive concrete piles and almost always in the background you can see the destroyed ruins of office buildings.

Thing is places like spring vale and the other cities in DC would have been nothing but ash if a real nuclear weapon hit.

If anything it looked like a few missiles hit some of the areas.

camil2003 said:

Thing is places like spring vale and the other cities in DC would have been nothing but ash if a real nuclear weapon hit.

If anything it looked like a few missiles hit some of the areas.

In a nuclear war, DC itself is likely where all the bombs would fall in the Fallout 3 area. Small surrounding towns wouldn't be as likely targets. If you look at pictures of Hiroshima, any wooden buildings like you see in Springvale are 100% gone, while the concrete/steel buildings like you see in DC are still standing.

(Hi, first post).

Using the game's logic, a boarded building could keep the player out, so why not Super Mutants.

A concrete building that is boarded off would offer more safety than the junk made buildings you find littering the wasteland.

If anything, those were often overtaken by Super Mutants.
How often I visited some crappy town and had to save some prisoners.

Also, concrete buildings collapse after a while if you do not maintain them, more than what you see in Fallout 3.
Again, check Life after People.

The Dutch Ghost said:
Using the game's logic, a boarded building could keep the player out, so why not Super Mutants.

A concrete building that is boarded off would offer more safety than the junk made buildings you find littering the wasteland.

If anything, those were often overtaken by Super Mutants.
How often I visited some crappy town and had to save some prisoners.

Also, concrete buildings collapse after a while if you do not maintain them, more than what you see in Fallout 3.
Again, check Life after People.
Most of the communities in Fallout 3 are in fortified pre-war buildings, but yeah, I've seen Life After People. Bethesda probably didn't put a lot of thought into the fact that the war was supposed to be 200 years before the game. There's edible pre-war food everywhere, and things like the incomprehensible mess that is Vault 106.

I don't go all crazy about what buildings would be destroyed and what would stand and where. It's a game after all. But the story BLOWS. The atmosphere is there and the explorations (sometimes, since the usual payoff is, well, nothing) decent. But once you explore enough, it all becomes the same. And then you're left with, a repetitive atmosphere and an horribly written story.

The Dutch Ghost said:
In what way was Washington DC destroyed?

Most buildings were still standing when I looked around, just boarded off.
The only place that was really destroyed was the White House, but rather by some bunker buster than a true nuclear weapon.

The whole place seemed more like "Life after People", the people simply decided to leave Washington DC and move into junk made settlements.

I spend most of my time outside of DC when I play tbh, I prefer wandering the desert around DC, and this area has an awesome atmosphere. I'm glad Bethesda didn't go hyper realistic as it would've made the game extremely boring. No pre-war towns and no cities? Just a long ass stretch of desert? Ehhhh.

I think the game has a high replay value. Bethesda really captured the 'Fallout feel' in their game and I sure hope Obsidian will take example from it.

I play it sometimes but it's getting pretty obnoxious already. It's my 3rd playthrough. Just trying to check out all the locations just for the hell of it.

Todd Howard's #1 Fan said:
I think the game has a high replay value. Bethesda really captured the 'Fallout feel' in their game and I sure hope Obsidian will take example from it.

ats57347_258Troll_spray.jpg

Todd Howard's #1 Fan said:

If by captured you mean like, torture internment camp captured, then I can about agree on that.

Back