Small Guns? Big Guns? Lasers? Plasma... spare me

Hety

First time out of the vault
I'll post a few thoughts here about weaponry in FO3... coz it makes me cry. Really.

What we seen in FO/FO2? GUNS! Lots of em. Diff shape, size and, whats more important, each has its role. Well you could, for sure, go for Bozar and spoil it all completely :), but apart from that it was interesting at least. Big guns were useful, small guns were useful, energy weapons were useful. You could always go for just one of em, but killing robots using Sniper rifle = "good luck mate, u'll need it".

Why it all became crap? Easy - changes to armor and how it works. Its just DR now and nothing more. Your armor does not give a damn if it's feral ghoul or gatling laser. Crap? I think so.

What we have now: you can safely ignore everything xept small guns. Lincoln's repeater + Xuanlong + Terrible shotgun... and you are all set. LR with 100 skill and better Crits = SM Brute down in one Sneak headshot and SM Master down in 3(Very hard). They never noticed me. I really tried to achieve same results with minigun(dont ask), and A3-21 rifle(at least it wasnt better). Terrible SG is great when u have 3+ muties on you(tear em apart) and Xuan is for mid-long range killing of groups of enemies.

It gets better towards the mid-late game? HELL NO! It gets worse. Action boy + maxed agility + Rangers armor + Grim Sprint = Deathclaws dying one by one. My best spree was like... 5? They never had a chance. Mirelurk hunters? One-shotted in the face.

I never bothered to use Fat Man. I never bothered to use Power Armor(really... -2 agi? +5%DR compared to Ranger armor? you must be kiddin).

Last but not least... Robots. Guns don't work well against em(except turrets, they suck). But.... you do NOT need guns! Robotics Expert - and you have em all on a plate. Just keep a Laser Pistol with ya (Protectron's Gaze is my fav) and shoot those Sentry bots in the face from Sneak. 3 shots - he's down.

I must admit i haven't tried melee weapons at all, so i wont say a word about em. But guns really make me cry...

*Hands tomatoes to everyone*

I havent found those unique guns, but good condition magnum/chinese AK/combat shotty do the job perfectly.

Do you have high skill with big guns/energy weaps? cause the damage depends on your char skill, hence energy guns may seem to have very weak if your skill is low.

armor dumbing is :(

Tyler said:
soo... your point being what? :)

I think it's a rant in service to this argument:

you can safely ignore everything xept small guns.

Which is true, I headshot everything from enclaves to super masters in 1-2 shots, and I too miss the utility of different weapons, as well as the larger variety we used to have.

You may be playing on too low a difficult. The game became far more intense and exciting for me (every fight being a serious challenge) when I turned the difficulty to hard and installed the Stranger mod.

I play on Very Hard. Only. Started on Normal, but one-shotting everything with 10mm Pistol was bit too much for me.

All skills are 100(I initially went for Small/Energy but reallocated points to Big for testing purposes after).

Stranger mod makes FO3 even more a reflex-based shooter than it already is not adressing the weapons balance

If i'll want to play some action-RPG with nice combat - i'll play Stalker. It highly outperforms FO3 when it comes to shooting and dying from bullets. Especially with Sniper addon(which makes bullets trajectory parabolic as it should be). Actually during non-VATS parts of combat i dont shoot. I just regen AP's. So no thanks, i'm not into crappy console-based combat. Boring.

P.S.: i still remember how i tried to play Gears of war with gamepad(coz i just could not pass that friggin room with zerker that had to rush thru the door with kbd+mouse). Took me like 5 mins to realise that i DONT want to get used to it. Mouse is so much better.

Hety said:
*Hands tomatoes to everyone*

ooh tomatoes!

but I'm sorry to hear of yet another failing of F3, and only yesterday evening a friend and I were discussing F3, apparently he has heard only good things about it, including one guy claiming "best game in quite some time" and I attempted to bring light of some of the views here, but he seemed quite apathetic, we discussed (at length) how games are dumbing down and actually breaking some games series, but his view was "what can we do about it though"

a shame really that more people don't realise WE are the gaming public and we shouldn't have to put up with shit games. All too sadly though the majority of 'gamers' seem not to care that they get handed one bag of shit after another.

And yes i think the alterations to the damage system are retarded, F.O. (or S.P.E.C.I.A.L / Gurps inspired) system was / is one of the things i LOVE about the games.

Erny said:
Stranger mod makes FO3 even more a reflex-based shooter than it already is not adressing the weapons balance

I'm not really sure what you're trying to say here. You want all the guns to be balanced? Not all guns are like that in reality. (Or in the FO universe. Remember the Bozar?)
Yes, it makes it more reflex-dependent, but it also makes it a lot more intense. It makes it a lot more challenging. I feel like trekking across the wastes actually makes survival difficult. That, to me, is what Fallout is all (well, mostly) about - the struggle to survive.

Phil the Nuka-Cola Dude said:
The "Stranger" mod breaks combat, and makes it worse than it already is. Not to mention several of the changes are just awful.

Care to, you know, actually elaborate on that statement? Or are you just going to throw insults at it without cause?

By fact that people do buy the games, the developers are right. We really don't have a choice about the games coming out the way they do. Since we have proven we will keep buying them. A bit of a paradox that the solution is the one thing we dont naturally do.

well, thing is FO3 is indeed "best game in quite some time"

what other open world RPGs are there? broken and ugly gothic3? bloated linear mass effect? witcher maybe?
everyone`s doing MMOOs with grinding and epic loot instead of a good story and a world of possibilities

Im really hoping for the mods to fix many flaws in fo3. And thats the only thing we can really do - mod it

cratchety ol joe said:
a shame really that more people don't realise WE are the gaming public and we shouldn't have to put up with shit games. All too sadly though the majority of 'gamers' seem not to care that they get handed one bag of shit after another.

Well said, that man. :clap:

Erny said:

what other open world RPGs are there? broken and ugly gothic3? bloated linear mass effect? witcher maybe?
everyone`s doing MMOOs with grinding and epic loot instead of a good story and a world of possibilities

Im really hoping for the mods to fix many flaws in fo3. And thats the only thing we can really do - mod it

i agree great things shoudl come out of the modding community, but i see that too often as a defense for the game the way it is... pretty sure i've said it before, making a devkit available does not a good game make

cratchety ol joe said:

I am sorry as well, Sorry that you seem to have the delusion 'gamers' share your opinions on what makes a good game.
Heaven forbid we all do not march in the same step to your master plan.

I am going to take a wild swing here and guess people who enjoy Fallout 3 are not "true" gamers or some other rubbish? I can think of quite a few people who are almost gamers by profession and have been that way for many many years and they are loving F3. That is the beauty of opinions :).

You know honestly what ever, I do not care if people hate this game. I just find it amazingly annoying when others make comments suggesting that the opinion they have should dictate Everyone Else's opinion.

It is terribly egotistical, but again I digress. I have some raiders to waste :D

Bal-Sagoth said:
cratchety ol joe said:

I am sorry as well, Sorry that you seem to have the delusion 'gamers' share your opinions on what makes a good game.
Heaven forbid we all do not march in the same step to your master plan.

I am going to take a wild swing here and guess people who enjoy Fallout 3 are not "true" gamers or some other rubbish? I can think of quite a few people who are almost gamers by profession and have been that way for many many years and they are loving F3. That is the beauty of opinions :).

You know honestly what ever, I do not care if people hate this game. I just find it amazingly annoying when others make comments suggesting that the opinion they have should dictate Everyone Else's opinion.

It is terribly egotistical, but again I digress. I have some raiders to waste :D

I take exception to poor writing and game design invading my favorite IPs. Some people (and I'm willing to bet a majority of the Fallout 3 consumers) are content with a near-perfect score for game because they can shoot people's heads off with railroad spikes.

I'm pretty disappointed in the game because it had so much potential if it were a bit more focused, but, as you say, that's just my opinion. My opinion isn't going to make anyone any more money so poo poo.

Erny said:

Well, never was a huge fan of Gothic, but FOO is about as broken and ugly, except with even worse AI. Mass effect is an action RPG (read half-FPS) and I think it borrowed storytelling from FPS dept. Not sure what your qualms about Witcher are though, it's an excellent game with a non-linear story, good graphics and character design. And I'm not going to go into the multitude of Japanese games made recently that I think are excellent.

And, tbh, Stalker is a better game and more of an RPG than FOO: it's more realistic, more open, has a better combat system, a good reputation system, smart AI, good armor/damage system. Grantedm it doesn't have the stats or levelup, but it was intended to be an FPS in the first place. Plus, it definitely beats FOO in the dark humour department.

Back