The Fate of the Deep South?

Courier said:
The Civil War didn't have that much to do with slavery so you're right there are other aspects, mostly the Confederacy was a logical conclusion to issues that were never fully resolved after the Revolutionary war.
A shit storm's a brewin'

I don't think an overt 'confederacy' should be implemented. How about a group of righteous Baptist led factions that are essentially raiders with large golden crosses?

Actually I'm pretty sure the civil war had a lot to do with slavery.

Secession had a lot to do with slavery, but secession didn't necessarily have to lead to war, the union could have let them secede peacefully. Obviously they didn't, but that had more to do with other factors than slavery.

For the most the part Union didn't care about slaves too much, in the early part of the war, Union commanders would actually return slave to their masters, it was only after it was decided to be strategically important for the war effort that the slaves were emancipated.

Overall the war had a lot to do with slavery, but largely in an indirect manner.

Funny, how if the Civil War had so much to do with slavery, why slavery existed in the US well into the 20th century?

I was just thinking: Baptist faction starting crusades into ostensibly agnostic lands like the NCR, Caesar's Legion (wouldn't that be a hoot?), Commonwealth...

Wintermind said:
Actually I'm pretty sure the civil war had a lot to do with slavery.

Nah, slavery wasn't really made an issue until later in the war.

The Civil War was more the logical consequence of not entirely resolving an issue from the early days of America, which was about exactly how much power the Federal government should have and divided the populace into federalists and anti-federalists. The anti-federalists wanted to stick with the articles of confederation that the states already had which gave more power to the state governments than the federal government while the federalists wanted to adopt a new constitution to replace the articles which would grant the federal government significantly more power.

In the end there was sort of a compromise and the anti-federalists got the bill of rights put in which satisfied them enough to be willing to adopt the constitution, but the issue was never really entirely resolved.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Federalism

A civil war almost broke out over this in 1788 and by never resolving the problem completely our founders really only managed to push back the war a couple of decades.

I think that setting a Fallout game in the South would be interesting (as I live here). The Browns Ferry Nuclear Power Plant and the Tennessee River could both be areas that would be central to the plot. Plus, the cultural diversity would be interesting. You would have the pistol-wielding, drug dealing gangbangers in the urban areas, and the shotgun and hunting rifle toting rednecks in the rural areas. I don't know who could be a power armour faction though. Maybe the BoS? They could have the Redstone Arsenal as their base of operations, considering their obsession with Pre-War tech. As for other factions, you could probably have some kind of Baptist faction, and maybe some kind of faction whose economy is driven by drug dealing in the urban areas. (Basically a gang, now that I think about it.)

Horus9k said:
Funny, how if the Civil War had so much to do with slavery, why slavery existed in the US well into the 20th century?

I think your confusing slavery with segregation and racism. Slavery was illegal in the USA in the 20th century.

White Knight said:
I think your confusing slavery with segregation and racism. Slavery was illegal in the USA in the 20th century.

I think he was referring to sharecropping during the reconstruction era, which was pretty much worse than slavery since they didn't have to provide the sharecroppers with a place to live or anything to eat. A lot of people were actually better off as slaves than they were in the decades that immediately followed the Civil War, that's why the Confederacy was working on plans to actually integrate slaves into society over the next couple decades so they wouldn't have to become second class citizens like what happened. In other words they were phasing slavery out since it was becoming obsolete with new technology.

Courier said:
White Knight said:
Horus9k said:

I think he was referring to sharecropping during the reconstruction era(...).

Forced labor and human trafficking are still very much alive here in the United States behind closed doors, even if on a necessarily smaller scale. Of course, without an open sanction on it, the initial argument here is pretty far out of context.

White Knight said:
I don't confuse anything, by Jove.

Yamu said:
I don't think it jibes quite well enough with the retro-50's Aesthetic. You'd see some Johnny Reb stuff out of the pulp presses at that time in American cultural history, but mostly the world-of-tomorrow setting the game derives from was predicated on a very J. Edgar Hoover, very proudly military-industrial, very homogenous American cultural cloth. It didn't much acknowledge the old wounds-- it tried to portray the country as past them and far more solid than that.

Charlotte, North Carolina could fit the whole "world-of-tomorrow" vibe seeing as it's the energy capital of America and the second largest banking center in the country. I'm not sure whether or not North Carolina is considered "deep south" though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte,_North_Carolina

Edit: Atlanta could also work, and I'm assuming it's where Nuka-Cola is headquartered. Georgia is definitely "deep south".

No arguments, there. When I made that comment, I was responding directly to the idea of a Neo-Confederate wasteland faction that had been mentioned in the previous post. There are plenty of southern locations that could and would make for great Fallout backdrops.

RogerMaxson37 said:
I think that setting a Fallout game in the South would be interesting (as I live here). The Browns Ferry Nuclear Power Plant and the Tennessee River could both be areas that would be central to the plot. Plus, the cultural diversity would be interesting. You would have the pistol-wielding, drug dealing gangbangers in the urban areas, and the shotgun and hunting rifle toting rednecks in the rural areas. I don't know who could be a power armour faction though. Maybe the BoS? They could have the Redstone Arsenal as their base of operations, considering their obsession with Pre-War tech. As for other factions, you could probably have some kind of Baptist faction, and maybe some kind of faction whose economy is driven by drug dealing in the urban areas. (Basically a gang, now that I think about it.)

Not to mention the Marshall Space Flight Center would be good for a bit of space-ageyness.

Make the intro song "Stars Fell on Alabama" and bobs your uncle

A fallout game set in New Orleans would be pretty cool. Hell if the game designers wanted to what they could do was make a hybrid exploration system that covers a very large area like Fallout and F2 and a first person mode thing for when you are in the location you picked. So for instance if you traveled out of NO you would get a map of the southeastern united states and you could pick other places to go (Atlanta, Florida and such) Hell the Forest/swampy terrain of the south would itself make the game a lot scarier and more atmospheric.

Sabirah said:
A fallout game set in New Orleans would be pretty cool. Hell if the game designers wanted to what they could do was make a hybrid exploration system that covers a very large area like Fallout and F2 and a first person mode thing for when you are in the location you picked. So for instance if you traveled out of NO you would get a map of the southeastern united states and you could pick other places to go (Atlanta, Florida and such) Hell the Forest/swampy terrain of the south would itself make the game a lot scarier and more atmospheric.

I would imagine mutated alligators would be extremely dangerous. They already have natural armour, so they're already naturally tough. I'm also pretty sure American Alligators have one of the strongest bite forces around. Mutate that, and you have a creature to rival Deathclaws. Okay, maybe not as dangerous because Alligators aren't too fast, but they should be able to both deal and take a ridiculous amount of damage. You could kill them as long as you maintained your distance, but if they got you backed up into a corner or a body of water, you might as well go ahead and load your last save.

You could even call the mutant gators "deathjaws" and then Ricky's statement from Honest Hearts could be apt.

That's assuming their going to get mutated. They're pretty fucking nasty as is, and they lived through the fucking dinosaurs. If the radiation does anything, it'll make 'em fast.

And they can be damn quick if they want to.

Wintermind said:
That's assuming their going to get mutated. They're pretty fucking nasty as is, and they lived through the fucking dinosaurs. If the radiation does anything, it'll make 'em fast.

I would hope they would. I like deathclaws, but it'd be nice to see some other kind of mega-beast.

RogerMaxson37 said:
Wintermind said:

I would hope they would. I like deathclaws, but it'd be nice to see some other kind of mega-beast.

To be fair there is Cazadores not too

Back