The true value of Action points?

Hotel California

Mildly Dipped
I personally have never found myself using a character with an agility less than 10 in any of the FO games. It would seem so futile to shoot for 6AP but have 2 left just to walk around for example. Unless you're a melee build then you'd want to fire twice during the turn, (even so, melees need loads of APs)

My question is, have any of you ever used characters with significantly less than 10 AP and if so for what reason? Does their huge combat value slightly overshadow the worth of other atributes?

Hi!
My character has only an agility of 4 and 7 action points because I wanted to play a talkative character and thus raised charisma nad intelligence to 9 at costs of other skills.
Im playing trough fallout for the first time right now.

Oddly for a long while i directly connected AG with AP, as in count for count. Interestingly 3 APs is the lowest you can achieve in character creation, but does this mean you're an arthritic old geezer who can punch a little harder? What can you do with 3 AP - is that a total no to inventory during combat (without perks-providing you survive that long they come later)

Fallout with no action points would be like NMA without a post button.

I always start with AG of 9(sometimes 8) and suffer until I get the surgeries(or Chips and perks)

Xavierblazer said:
Fallout with no action points would be like NMA without a post button.

I always start with AG of 9(sometimes 8) and suffer until I get the surgeries(or Chips and perks)
You know what? I'm not touching that one, because I can get in some shit with the mods about it.

I always put my agility really high, like at 9 or 8, I disremember. I just know that when I could get it I would nab Action Boy and have 10 ap.

Anyway, Fallout is completely based on the Action Point system and unless someone could introduce a better turn-based system for Fallout, I'll riot if it changes in FO3.
((Unless it's surprisingly better.))

That was exactly my thinking. I though what would be the point of having only 7 or 8 because you can't fire twice. You'd have to move around (which sometimes isn't preferable).

Well, agility helps a crapload in a lot of other things as well such as all of your combat skills and armor class for instance.

Every time I've played Fallout 2, I've always had my AG at 10, some say its a waste to use my points to maximize my AG but I think its worth it.

Well, agility helps a crapload in a lot of other things as well such as all of your combat skills and armor class for instance.

Every time I've played Fallout 2, I've always had my AG at 10, some say its a waste to use my points to maximize my AG but I think its worth it. I always play with 2 luck with the Gifted perk and low luck has never ever bothered me except for having pratcially no critical hits and lucky random encounters thats all. Luck to me is the trash stat.

I played with nine to get the perk up for it.

I couldn't stand playing with less, and only tried it once. Strength I always played with less, though. Kind of munchkinly, I suppose.

I usually also do set the agility of my characters to 10. However, in my last game I switched my standard agility and endurance values with each other (EN:10, AG:6). It was a bit tougher in the beginning, mainly because I prefer using meleé or unarmed weapons early on. I even had to use a stimpack for the first time ever! Although, as I later on picked the lifegiver perks my character soon turned into a tank and because of the hugh amount of HPs, it seemed that some enemies never dared to challenge her and started fleeing immediately.

uziel said:
Anyway, Fallout is completely based on the Action Point system and unless someone could introduce a better turn-based system for Fallout, I'll riot if it changes in FO3.

Have you played Silent Storm? I think the system's pretty good on that one.

Ahem. I usually play with 8 action points.

Code:
Action Points := 5 + (AG / 2)
When I started playing Fallout, I also always took 10 AG for 10 AP, but later on I decided that (since both 8 and 9 AG gives 9 AP) it's unwise to waste 2 stat points to get 1 AP, and been using 8 AG since then. I do not believe there is much need for being able to shoot twice early on in the game, and by the time there is, I'd have taken either Action Boy or <that perk that reduces shooting cost by 1 AP>.

Back