Unofficial Age of Decadence FAQ

Tannhauser

Venerable Relic of the Wastes
Orderite
RPG Codex member Jedi_Learner has posted an Age of Decadence Unofficial FAQ on the RPG Codex forums. He has collected the statements of Vince D. Weller, head of Iron Tower Studios, on various aspects of the game. A brief selection of questions and answers:<blockquote>Q: What is Age of Decadence?
A: "...Age of Decadence is an isometric, turn-based, single-player 3D role-playing game set in a low magic, post-apocalyptic fantasy world, inspired by the fall of the Roman Empire. The game features a detailed skill-based character system, non-linear gameplay, multiple skill-based ways to handle quests, choices & consequences, and extensive dialogue trees." (Ref)

Q: Will there be a demo?
A: "Of course. It's an indie game. You download the demo, play a bit (one town, 20+ quests), and if you like what you see, then and only then you purchase the game." - (June 23, 2007) (Ref)

Q: How much will Age of Decadence cost? Will there be a collector's edition?
A: "$25 direct download, $50 for a box (proper full color box, full color manual with concept art , jewel case CD) plus shipping." - (June 24, 2007) (Ref)

Q: How long will Age of Decadence take to complete?
A: "I'd say it's similar to the length of Fallout 1. The rest depends on how you'd play the game." - ( June 1, 2006) (Ref)

Q: What classes/professions are available?
A: There are seven different characters to choose from when you begin. You can find a detailed description of each class here.

Q: How many quests are there? How many locations are there and what will they be?
A: "Over 100 quests, taking you to 22 locations: towns, outposts, archeological digs, sealed places of Power, underground facilities, and temples." (Ref)

Q: At the end of the game, will there be a summary of my actions?
A: "Yes, there will be a very detailed (locations, factions, NPCs) summary of your actions." - (February 6, 2007) (Ref)</blockquote>It is a valuable resource for anyone who hasn't been following Age of Decadence closely and wants to learn more.

Link: Age of Decadence Unofficial FAQ (Version 1.1).

Tannhauser said:
Q: At the end of the game, will there be a summary of my actions?
A: "Yes, there will be a very detailed (locations, factions, NPCs) summary of your actions." - (February 6, 2007) (Ref)</blockquote>

Gimme. Gimme now.
I sure do love consequences to my actions.

Jedi_Learner said:
You guys must be desperate for news or something. :wink:
Are you kidding? There used to be 10 times less newsposts like a year ago than it is now.
And this FAQ is really nice, a lot more interesting than all the news about Fallout 3 previews.

There's only two questions I want answered.
Release date and gimme!

.. okay so the latter isn't a question. More of an obnoxious demand. But still.

Damn. I'd be willing to pay 50$ for the game even if I didn't like it, just to support the developers for their effort of making such a game. But if the shippings tops another 15$, I'll just have to go with download... :(

While a Fallout fansite, games with a post-apocalyptic theme are fairly uncommon, as are ISO/TB RPGS. When one comes along that is both and being directly compared to Fallout, I think it's fair for the community to take a look at it.

Shadowbird said:
Damn. I'd be willing to pay 50$ for the game even if I didn't like it, just to support the developers for their effort of making such a game. But if the shippings tops another 15$, I'll just have to go with download... :(

There is only two games from which i saved my boxes (and boxes used to be very big :P), if i saved every box i would be swimming on boxes around the house (movies and tv series included).

So i guess i will have to go with the download, BUT if they install a pay pal donation thingy, after i finished the game in case i enjoyed it i have no problems at all giving those extra 15$ from shipping ;)

It appears armor affects your AP. Check out the screenshots

The 'alchemy' looks way too Oblivion.
Squares instead of hexes, whatever.
Sweet menu bar thingy, looks Fallouty.
The dialogue looks decent.

Pipboy2000 said:
The 'alchemy' looks way too Oblivion.

Actually, I believe Alchemy is going to a big improvement over Oblivion's system. In Oblivion each ingredient possessed some bonus intrinsically. So Alchemy was just a game of finding ingredients with the bonuses you wanted and poof! You have an invisibility potion. The AoD system is going to be recipe based, much like Arcanum. Some recipes can be found doing in game stuff. Other recipes are obtained simply by increasing your alchemy skill. Regardless of the recipe's orgin's, unlike Arcanum the end product will be affected and made more potent by having a higher alchemy skill. That, and some of the ingredients will be rare.

What really intrests me is how some recipes unlock new abilites for characters. Dweller has mentioned a recipe for a "beserker" potion which if used in combat will give players a special trait or a special poison useable only by female assasins allowing them to perform "kisses of death". Cool stuff, really. Much better than creating a health package.

Back